Folgaria is the most beautiful mountain village set in Northern Italy with views from the top that stretch from Venice to the Dolomites and I was lucky enough to live there for almost 18 years. I got to know the people, their culture, their language and their passions and the Italians are very passionate people about everything. No Italian I know can sit down and talk to you without moving their hands to add more expression to their speech, it’s probably one of the first things I picked up on when learning their language! How to talk with my hands. A simple gesture can mean ‘Are you crazy man?’ or ‘Get out of here!’
In fact one of the things I miss most are the people I met during my Italy time. I count myself so lucky to have bumped into the most genuine, interesting and kind people. I learned so much from them as I grew up amongst them and I became, for a brief moment, one of them as I was accepted whole heartedly into their community no strings attached. Something I will always be extremely grateful for.
Folgaria’s main industry is tourism, ski resort in the winter and stunning mountain resort in the summer offering breathtaking walks, nature, sunshine and joy. I would say that most of the people I know out there work in the tourism sector, many families own hotels and run them incredibly well after over 100 years of guests passing through their doors. Many have restaurants again offering jobs to the entire family, a brother the chef in the kitchen, the sister serving tables and mamma and papa’ keeping a steady rein on the business everybody doing their bit for the overall benefit of all. Ski instructors, shop owners, young adults working in the skipass office or on the skilifts. Everyone has their place and it’s a happy, well run community… and of course the bars are out of this world!
Folgaria will ALWAYS be in my heart, apart from my oldest two children still living there, I spent too many happy moments there that have their roots still deep down inside and I am giddy with excitement today because I have been given the most fantastic opportunity to offer one of my readers the chance to win a family holiday there so they too can experience the Folgaria Love. How amazing is that?
A good friend of mine, Camilla, her family own this beauty. It’s a residence and a very popular one too. I have stayed there with Paul as her guest and can assure you the apartments are all well equipped, warm and cosy decked out in the welcoming Tyrolean style and the comunal rooms on the ground floor are a joy to stay in with children’s play rooms, wifi and comfortable seating areas where you can sit and read or play cards or just enjoy the stunning view.
Residence Derby Club started out as an inn in 1910-11 and it’s fascinating history can be found here. Today the perfect stop off for anyone looking for a self catering ski holiday (let’s concentrate on the snow for now as the season is approaching fast eh?) The apartments are of various sizes to suit most requests and the Residence Derby price list can be found on their website split into high/middle/low season and then columns of the different sized apartments. Prices are per week and per apartment, unless otherwise indicated and include: rental of the apartment fully furnished and equipped, consumption, taxes, TV, telephone, fridge. A Parking space in the garage or in the lot outside.
A further compulsory payment per stay per apartment for the Club Card of €60.00 includes a magnificent range of services such as the mini club, animation and Baby Park on the pistes plus entrance to the local communal swimming pool, AND discounts in the local shops, restaurants, ski school and ski hire.
There is also the obligatory deposit required on arrival of €150.00 to cover breakages and damage – this is returned on departure
Cots, high chairs, bottle warmers are all available at no extra cost, SKY TV in all apartments and what more can I say other than this is a perfect solution to any family holiday.
If I have whetted your appetite and you’d like to visit Folgaria, Residence Derby are currently promoting a special offer for the week 10 – 17 December where one skipass for 6 days is included in the price of the apartment. Also don’t forget you are bang in Christmas Market land here and a short drive to Trento, the capital town of Trentino, or Rovereto will surpass all of your shopping expectations – trust me on this one ;) Ski, eat, drink and be merry and shop the Crimbo Markets, I couldn’t think of anything nicer to do.
So would you like to treat yourself to a weekend away just before Christmas? The Weekend to win is 16 – 19 December check your diary – can you do it? You will not be disappointed, I promise. They’re offering the accommodation all you have to do is get there. Airports to look out for are Verona, Bergamo, Venice and Treviso, all of which are within a 2 hour drive, Verona only 1 hour. British Airways fly in to Verona and Ryan Air serves the others, more in depth searches may find other airlines too going to the area. A hire car would be a brilliant idea and allow you to discover the surrounding area, many airlines offer these on booking too if not taxis are available at all of the airports. I will of course help the winner with any questions and information
Still interested? Here’s what you need to do
- Subscribe to Mari’s World via email so as not to miss out on any other fantastic opportunities coming up soon and leave a comment below saying you did so
- LIKE Mari’s World on Facebook (see the box in the sidebar)
- Follow @Maris_world on Twitter
- Ask to be ‘friends’ with Derby Club Residence on Facebook and leave this comment on their wall ‘I want to win the Mari’s World weekend break to Derby Club Residence’
- Leave a comment below to say you are a friend and have commented on Residence Derby Facebook page
All entries will be entered into random.org and the winner will be selected randomly I wish you all the very best of luck and when you’re in Folgaria talk to EVERYONE (shops, ski hire, restaurants etc) and tell them Marianne sent you ;) You never know you might get a discount.
Competition Terms & Conditions:
• This Competition is open to everyone over 18 years of age, excluding employees of Derby Club Residence and its affiliates or agents, the families of such employees and any other person connected with this promotion.
• Competition ends 18th November 2011 midnight.
• All entries received by this date will be entered into a prize draw and the winner will be chosen randomly.
• The winning entry will receive an apartment for four people accommodation ONLY. Extra beds will have to be liaised directly with Residence Derby Club.
• The prizes are as stated and cannot be transferred, sold or exchanged. There is no cash alternative. No bulk or third party entries accepted.
• The winner will be notified by email on 19th November 2011.
• The Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize of equal or greater value in the event of unavailability due to circumstances beyond the Promoter’s control.
• By entering this competition, entrants agree to be bound by the rules and by any other requirements set out in the promotional material.