I love this time of year as it is the perfect Pimm’s time and what nicer than a jug to share amongst friends as the sun goes down in the sky?
Have you heard of the Italian dessert semifreddo? It literally means half cold. It’s like an ice cream cake. I’ve been wanting to make a semifreddo for a while now and I wanted to do something different so I tried making one with Pimms and it worked!
It’s a really simple recipe and can be made ahead which is really handy as you can get your dessert done and not have to think about it until 15 – 30 minutes before serving.
Obviously it contains alcohol so not good for children. There are lots of different recipes out there and a traditional semifreddo would be made with half gelato (ice cream) and half whipped cream, my one is slightly different but an absolute doddle to make.
- 300g mixed berries - I used raspberries, strawberries and blueberries
- 50g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp Pimm's
- 3 large eggs
- 90g caster sugar
- 300ml double cream
- strawberries, orange and lemon slices, cucumber slices and mint to decorate
- Line the base of a 1kg loaf tin with cling film. To help it stick to the pan rinse the inside of the tin with cold water, don't dry it out but just tap out the excess.
- Place the fruit 50g caster sugar and Pimm's in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric whisk until stiff.
- Best the egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl until thick and leaves a trail.
- Beat the cream in a third bowl until it holds it's shape.
- If you beat everything in that order you won't need to wash your whisks between bowls.
- Fold the very berry mix into the cream, then stir in the yolks and finally fold in the egg whites.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and place in the freezer, once solid wrap the excess cling film over the top and cover with foil.
- To serve, take out of the freezer 15-30 minutes before serving, Open the cling film and turn upside down on your serving dish, remove the cling film and decorate the top. Serve in slices with a Pimms coulis or cream