Panettone bread and butter pudding

panettone bread and butter pudding

One sweet thing I bought for the Christmas season is a Panettone, it reminds me of my time in Italy when we would have a Panettone and a Pandoro to share over the festive season. Some come in the most beautiful tins and my favourite of all time has to be the Tre Marie.

panettone

Pandoro originates from Verona and is a light fluffy sponge baked in a tall star shaped tin and dusted with icing sugar before serving. We’d always open one on New Year’s Eve to serve with the Spumante.

Panettone is a light, round sponge with a dome shaped top. It has lots of candied fruit in it and can also be found with chocolate inside or other flavourings.

panettone bread and putter pudding

Anyway, I bought one and never got round to opening it so it’s sitting in the cupboard in a box unused. So here’s what I’m going to do, I’m going to make two Panettone bread and butter puddings and I’m going to freeze one for another time! Genius idea.

panettone bread and butter pudding

One thing I’ll be looking into this year is investing in a freezer. I’d like to stick it in the garage as our kitchen is already packed to the hilt. I really think we’d make great use of it, I can see me making double of our favourite recipes and freezing half for another time. Imagine the convenience? Take out of freezer the night before to defrost and re heat for dinner, not to mention an extra loaf in there to save late night runs up to the local shop.

panettone bread and butter pudding

Beko have brought out a freezer that can survive in colder temperatures thanks to the Freezer Guard. This means the compressor won’t fail in freezing temperatures in the garage, conservatory or outbuilding. For around £250 this could be an excellent investment, I just need to convince the husband now ;)

5.0 from 5 reviews
Panettone bread and butter pudding

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

An upmarket bread and butter pudding using up Panettone from the Christmas leftovers. Adapted form the Delia Smith Bread and butter recipe
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: British
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 50g butter
  • 250g panettone cut into 6 slices
  • 2 eggs
  • 142ml carton double cream
  • 225ml milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar
  • 3 tbsps mixed peel
  • icing sugar, for sprinkling
  • softly whipped cream, to serve
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3/fan 140C and grease a 850ml/1½ pint shallow baking dish with butter.
  2. Cut the Panettone into wedges. Butter the slices lightly with the rest of the butter. Lay the slices slightly overlapping to fill the dish.
  3. Sprinkle the candied peel over.
  4. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla extract and sugar and pour evenly over the Panettone.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes until the pudding is just set - it should be yellow inside and nicely browned on top.
  6. Dust with icing sugar and serve with double cream.
panettone bread and butter pudding

1. January 12, 2015 / 2:17 PM

We always have panettone for breakfast on Christmas day, but this year they were out of stock of the smaller size and sent us a large instead. So I made bread and butter pudding with the leftovers! Yum!
    Great news on the freezer. Always need extra space at Christmas :)

2. January 12, 2015 / 4:27 PM

I spent all weekend looking for a recipe for this as I have a huge panettone to use up. Ta dah there it is! Thank you. Just need to buy double cream and I am all set.

Dinner sorted!!

Thanks a million, it looks lush.

3. January 12, 2015 / 4:59 PM

I Love bread and butter pudding and I bet it is double delicious made with panettone!

4. Stacey Corrin
    January 12, 2015 / 6:14 PM

You have a habit of making me hungry Mrs! Whenever I drop by here you’ve got something lovely on the go. This definitely appeals to my sweet tooth. *drools*

5. January 12, 2015 / 7:27 PM

Such a fabulous way to use up a Panettone not eaten at Christmas, I love the idea of making two and freezing one.

6. January 12, 2015 / 10:34 PM

Damn it! How is a girl mean to stick to a diet with all the deliciousness tempting her ;-)

7. January 12, 2015 / 11:01 PM

Oh my goodness, that looks fantastic. I love bread and butter pudding, it is such a lovely simple pudding. That looks like a lovely recipe

8. January 12, 2015 / 11:19 PM

I love bread and butter pudding but haven’t tried it with panettone. We have 2 freezers I couldn’t cope without mine.

9. January 13, 2015 / 12:14 AM

perfecto timing, we were only talking about bread and butter pudding the other day and now you post this!

10. January 13, 2015 / 1:41 PM

Food looks gorgeous!
    I didn’t know that fact about certain parts of freezers needing to be kept at different temperatures. I have a fridge outside next to our pizza oven and never even thought about whether it would get too cold! I assumed the colder the better but obvs not!

11. January 13, 2015 / 3:32 PM

Looking scrummy Mari!

12. January 13, 2015 / 8:22 PM

Wow, this looks gorgeous Mari. I kept looking at Panettone this Christmas, but couldn’t think what to do with it. Now I know!

13. January 13, 2015 / 10:39 PM

i made bread and butter pudding this last weekend but your panettone one looks really yummy!

14. Posh Totty
    January 15, 2015 / 6:11 PM

Mmmm!! I love bread and butter pudding and haven’t had it for years, I really fancy some now :)

15. Jean
    January 20, 2016 / 7:54 PM

We did one of these a couple of weeks ago, using up a couple of small Panettone (Panettoni?). We did cheat using some fresh custard into which we mixed some whisky, you know, because, and we also added dark chocolate chunks which come out deliciously melty.

Well impressed, will do it again.