The Snowman at the Peacock Theatre London

The Snowman

‘If I had known how wonderful it was I’d have booked sooner.’

Last weekend we travelled up to London to attend the live performance of The Snowman, one of our favourite stories. It was dad’s Christmas treat to us as a family and he’d booked it back in late November.

I read in the brochure that this is the 17th consecutive performance and is based on the classic children’s book by Raymond Briggs and having seen it I am sure it will continue for many years to come.

You may be wondering how The Snowman would adapt to the stage as it is a silent film with the exception of ‘Walking in the air’ song and this is one of the very reasons I loved this performance as it is told through mime and dance.

In today’s world where we are bombarded by noise from every angle it was a complete wonder to sit back and watch the story unfold silently before us. Of course there is music and lyrics by Howard Blake which accompanies the tale perfectly. I found it very refreshing to sit back and soak in the beauty of the set and the emotion the music gives. I also noted the girls were completely gripped too and had no trouble following one of their favourite stories.

The Snowman Peacock Theatre

The theatre was packed with families with young children and although there wasn’t complete silence, how could you expect little ones to not ask questions, it worked extremely well, all except the one grandmother sat behind me and took it upon herself to carry out a running commentary on the entire performance. It really wasn’t necessary, let the children discover the beauty of mime and dance, they’ll get it. They’ll see what the dancers want to show us.

We were very pleasantly surprised by the reasonable prices at the bar too, not something you often find in London.

The dancer who plays the part of James, The Boy is excellent. He has a huge role and the brochure confirms that the boys who cover James are aged between 10 and 12. All of the dancers take on more than one character and the entire show ran perfectly on stage.

A massive round of applause from us as we really enjoyed the show and would thoroughly recommend it.

1. January 6, 2015 / 3:37 PM

I do love a Christmas theatre trip – it looks like you had a wonderful time and giving children the gift of enjoying the music and dance is one that will stay with them long after everything else has been tidied away

• January 6, 2015 / 7:43 PM

I think it’s good to offer lots of different kinds of entertainment instead of just films, TV and DVD’s. They really enjoyed it too.

2. January 6, 2015 / 3:58 PM

This sounds utterly magical! I’ll look out for it next year, it’s such a special story I’d love to see it on the stage.

• January 6, 2015 / 7:44 PM

It was beautiful Liz and if you do go, before Christmas is better than after in my opinion as Santa makes an appearance ;)

3. January 6, 2015 / 5:22 PM

Apart from our annual pantomime trip, we don’t get to the theatre much. I’m hoping to change that in 2015 (especially with the Edinburgh Festival right on our doorstep). This looks magical and one I would definitely take the boys to see.

• January 6, 2015 / 7:45 PM

Oh lucky you with the Edinburgh Festival so close. I’d LOVE to see this one day. Definitely on my bucket list.

4. January 6, 2015 / 6:18 PM

ooh it sounds magical

• January 6, 2015 / 7:46 PM

It was Becky, absolutely magical. I’m lucky the girls are the right age to see it so I got to enjoy it too. Mind you there were plenty of adults without kids in the audience.

5. January 6, 2015 / 7:42 PM

Very beautiful!wish we were in london…

6. January 6, 2015 / 7:45 PM

I must see if this is shown again at Christmas 2015, Tigger saw The Snowman film at pre-school before the Christmas break and has talked about all over Christmas.

7. January 6, 2015 / 11:10 PM

I love watching young children perform with such talent in front of lots of people. Sounds like an amazing performance.

8. January 6, 2015 / 11:26 PM

Ohh that looks fabulous, what a nice day out. Lucky you. Mich x

9. January 6, 2015 / 11:52 PM

Amy loves seeing shows and theatre productions. I’ve taken her from an early age on and she would have loved this. Sounds fantastic x

10. January 7, 2015 / 12:01 AM

This is one live show I want to take the girls to this year. If not just for magic of the snowman, the amazement on their faces watching the original cartoon was the sign I need to take them to see it.

(yes I’m talking in circles – sorry) :)

11. January 7, 2015 / 1:13 PM

I bet it was simply magical – I love The Snowman, never fails to make me cry!

12. January 7, 2015 / 2:00 PM

Oh my youngest would love this, Snowman and the snowdog, is her absolute favourite, and is still listening to the music way into spring each year! Lovely review.

13. January 7, 2015 / 5:21 PM

I love the idea of it being a more quiet and focused experience – love your photos Mari!

14. January 7, 2015 / 9:01 PM

This looks amazing – so completely magical and a perfect Christmas treat x x

15. January 8, 2015 / 2:55 PM

What a magical experience for you all. Not one that you will forget in a hurry.

16. January 9, 2015 / 10:04 PM

I’m sad we didn’t go this year! Next year, for sure. Your comment about the grandmother made me laugh – it’s often the adults who are more annoying than the kids at these sorts of things.