Mexico: My dream destination

photoEscudo_RIV_MAY_Tulm_ac_tulum3quintanaroo

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Do you have a dream destination? I do and I’ve been trying to get there for over 20 years but through one mishap and another I still haven’t pulled it off.

Mexico is the place I dream of visiting one day. Mexico was to be my first long haul holiday and I had spent months researching the country. My husband (ex) and I were to be away for three weeks leaving the children with their grandmother. It was to be the belated honeymoon we never took, it was to make up for all the holidays we never had due to work pressure or lack of funds. It was to be the dream come true.

photoEscudo_PUE_Cholula_Ac_nuestraseAoradelosremedios-1

I invested in a couple of travel guides and read them cover to cover, I started to plot and plan and write down an itinerary, going back to it, scribbling out, adding in, starring here and there with a ‘Must eat’ or ‘Must see’

I put together what fast became a well thumbed notebook. Accompanied by a map with a red route. Would we travel the vast distances by hired car? train? or Plane? All details that were yet to be decided.

cuetzalan-la-magia-loop1

I had the return air tickets in my handbag as I walked up the stairs with the heavy shopping towards home but there was no skip in my step, there was no excitement coursing through my veins as I had a dreadful foreboding that even though the tickets were in my bag we wouldn’t be going to Mexico.

photoEscudo_One_of_A_Kind_Mexico_Adventure_Experiences_ADVENTUREEXPERIENCE_mains_950x434

Later that evening my mother in law was taken ill and rushed into hospital.

The Mexico dream got shelved and every now and then I take it down, blow the thick dust off and reopen to check my plans. I am waiting for the day I can make this dream a reality.

#Flying100 are celebrating 100 years of commercial flight and there are lots of stories to read, future travel, fun holidays and the history of aviation. They are asking to hear about dream holidays so here is mine in bullet form but it may alter as it’s not quite perfect yet.

photoEscudo_Mundo_Maya_header_mundomaya_chichenitza

This is how I saw it all those years ago.

• Fly into Mexico City on a direct flight from London, transfer to a hotel in the centre and stay for a few days.
  • Visit in Mexico City – Plaza della Constitucion, Catedral Metroplitana, Palacio Nacional, Templo Mayor, Xochimilco, Museo Frida Kahlo
  • Day trip to Teotihuacan
  • Puebla and the Seven Magical Towns – Cholula, Tlatlauquitepec, Cuetzalan, Zacatlan, Chignahuapan, Pahuatlan, Xicotepec
  • Transfer to the Riviera Maya and visits to Tulum, Xichen, Xplor, snorkling in the rio Xel-Ha, Xcaret
  • Chichen Itza, Merida, Veracruz – all destinations I’d love to see.

Of course times and dates are sketchy as is the mode of transport but the dream is there and one day I will make it to Mexico. When I do I will tell you all about it, I will take lots of photos and post them on my instagram feed. I will make videos for my You Tube channel and take you on journeys to see for yourself what I discover. I will tell you about the food and the drink, the customs and the local craft. I will introduce you to Mexico and buy myself a sombrero too.

I promise.

mexico

Another post to follow would be a holiday in Sri Lanka look at Alice’s post and tell me what you think, now that would be dream destination #2.

Image Credit: all kindly donated by Visit Mexico as I have yet to visit to take my own

1. November 5, 2014 / 12:17 AM

Ooh I bet Mexico is lovely! I would LOVE to visit, but first we need to go to our dream destination: Disneyland! x

• November 5, 2014 / 12:23 PM

I’m fascinated by the ancient Maya civilisations. I really want to find out more. Plus they have chilli chocolate ;)

2. November 5, 2014 / 12:29 PM

Oh Mari, that must have been heart-breaking for you, when it was so well planned. I have never been to Mexico but your itinerary sounds pretty good to me.

In my twenties I was about to go skiing with my boyfriend. I bought a fabulous pink ski-suit from C&A, was doing my exercises to strengthen my thighs…and then my boyfriend dumped me. I didn’t get to go skiing and never have from that day to this. I gave the pink ski suit away.

• November 5, 2014 / 9:08 PM

No! How sad, how disappointing. I know the perfect place where you can go skiing and I probably know a shop where you could buy a pink ski suit too. Up for it?

I think my Mexican itinerary is a bit ambitious to be truthful but i can’t bear to cross anything off – just add!

3. November 5, 2014 / 12:42 PM

Oh Mari, I do hope you get to go sometime soon. Dreams are there for a reason. Commenting for myself and on behalf of BritMums and thanking you for taking part

• November 5, 2014 / 9:08 PM

One day Kate I will go and I’m really looking forward to it, it will be like the best waited for present EVER in the entire history of the world.

4. November 5, 2014 / 1:19 PM

I’m sorry to hear that things did not work out as planned. I hope that your Mother in Law is ok now. Fingers crossed that you will get to Mexico one day and I am sure you will have an amazing time when you do! :-)

• November 5, 2014 / 9:10 PM

Thanks Bek, Mexico isn’t going anywhere, I’ll get there eventually. I just won’t be wearing a skimpy bikini as I may have done a few years ago :)

5. November 5, 2014 / 2:04 PM

I so want you to go! Please do one day, with or without the kids (!) and let us share in all your pics and excitement from the trip.

• November 5, 2014 / 9:10 PM

Ha ha! You know writing about this trip has rekindled the love. I’ll get there at some point. Promise!

6. November 5, 2014 / 2:04 PM

what a lovely post, I’m sorry you didn’t get to visit Mexico though but hope that you will soon in the future :)

• November 5, 2014 / 9:39 PM

Thank you, one day I will go I’ve made that promise to myself :-)

7. November 5, 2014 / 2:09 PM

So sorry that you didn’t get to go to Mexico under such sad circumstances, I really hope you get to go in the future :)

8. November 5, 2014 / 3:10 PM

Oh Mari – am so sorry that you never made it, but I hae no doubt that you will. Only this time it WILL be perfect because you’ll be with the right man. I wish you all the luck in the world with this comp! X

• November 5, 2014 / 9:11 PM

Thank you lovely. Fingers crossed eh? I’ve waited so long that a while longer won’t hurt but my intake of Tequila won’t be as great as it could have been ;)

9. November 5, 2014 / 3:21 PM

You’re going to get there, I can feel it! What a shame that your trip didn’t happen before, but one day it will and I’m looking forward to reading all about it here.

• November 5, 2014 / 9:13 PM

Maybe it’s not such a shame after all, you know somethings aren’t meant to be and that marriage certainly wasn’t so a little patience and I will enjoy The Best Trip EVER. I’ll keep you informed :-)

10. November 5, 2014 / 5:32 PM

Oh I am sorry your plans never worked out – it is somewhere I would love to visit too- I hope you get there one day!

• November 5, 2014 / 9:13 PM

Thanks Sonya. I don’t think of it as not worked out but an idea shelved until the right time ;-)

11. November 5, 2014 / 5:34 PM

I do hope you get to Mexico one day , I would love to visit there

• November 5, 2014 / 9:16 PM

Where would you go first? It’s a huge country. I’ve been told to avoid the north but I read Carlos Casteneda which fascinated me …. no north for now

12. November 5, 2014 / 8:09 PM

one day! Mexico looks amazing doesn’t it?!

13. November 5, 2014 / 9:35 PM

Mexico is on my dream list too, but I really hope you make it there on day soon.

• November 5, 2014 / 9:57 PM

Thank you lovely Emma, we can but dream right?

14. November 5, 2014 / 10:59 PM

I can see why you’d want to go, it looks stunning! I hope your dream comes true one day.

15. November 6, 2014 / 6:58 AM

There are so many places I want to go but I think it will happen when I am a bit older I hope I will not die before visiting all the places I want to visit…and yes one of the places is Mexico. It is so colourful~

• November 6, 2014 / 8:53 PM

You are right the world is ginormous and quite frankly I don’t think anyone can see everything in a lifetime, surely that would be impossible? I hope as the girls get older I can visit more and more

16. November 6, 2014 / 10:28 AM

This really sounds like the trip of a lifetime and I really hope you get to take it one day. I love everything that comes with travel and totally agree with the quote at the start of your blog post x

• November 6, 2014 / 8:56 PM

Gorgeous quote isn’t it? Thanks for noticing. I cannot be travelling all the time so when I do get to go it’s a real enjoyment for me plus I like to remember everything so I take hundreds of photos so I can look back and remember

17. November 6, 2014 / 12:23 PM

It sounds as though it would be an absolutely amazing trip to do, so much imagery and things to see x

• November 6, 2014 / 9:03 PM

I know and I think the colour will blow me away as I adore bright and bold. I cannot wait for my day to come :)

18. November 6, 2014 / 1:55 PM

We had so many plans for Mexico but plans changed and we actually never visited it… I hope one day soon we will finally go there.

• November 6, 2014 / 9:06 PM

Mmm sounds like it’s not just me who has had this problem. Mexico is obviously a special place – hope you get there too

19. November 6, 2014 / 4:42 PM

You’ll get there one day – and you’ll appreciate it all the more x x

• November 6, 2014 / 9:07 PM

Jinx! As they say in Frozen – my thoughts exactly x

20. November 6, 2014 / 7:44 PM

I would love to go to Mexico – but see the real Mexico rather than the tourist trap of the resorts IYKWIM! My dream destination is Tokyo, Japan x

• November 6, 2014 / 9:11 PM

OMG Tokyo is next on the list, well Japan actually as a country. That is fascinating too.
      My Mexico itinerary purposely went off the tourist route but it is a country with some very no go areas which a tourist has to be aware of before setting off in the sunset.

21. November 6, 2014 / 9:40 PM

I’ve only been surfing in Mexico but it was dreamy. The people are so hospitable and the countryside really is beautiful.

22. November 7, 2014 / 6:59 AM

I was lucky enough to go to Mexico as a child but I would love to go back

23. November 7, 2014 / 8:13 AM

I really fancy Mexico but am scared of flying with the kids while they are still young

24. November 7, 2014 / 3:56 PM

Oh I do hope you get to Mexico, it’s a beautiful country and full of colour and fun. I’m keeping everything crossed for you…

25. VaiChin @RamblingThroughParenthood
    November 7, 2014 / 6:36 PM

Such a fascinating place steeped in history. Maybe someday…

26. November 9, 2014 / 12:21 AM

I hope you get there one day Mari, it does look fabulous. Mich x

27. November 10, 2014 / 4:59 AM

I hope you will be able to visit Mexico one day soon! I would love to go there myself. It seems such a fascinating country!