IKEA storage solutions for Shoes

IKEA shoe storage

When I received an email from IKEA asking me if I needed any help with storage solutions and could I send some photos? I nearly fell off my chair laughing, they wouldn’t know what’s hit them with my photos – could IKEA have a storage solution for my family’s mess?

cupboard under the stairs

They did have a couple of solutions and IKEA designer Marie Tenglund drew up plans to help me sort out the girl’s craft/homework/play area which will also be my office – post to follow on that one.

She also sent me a shoe cupboard to house the pile of shoes after seeing the state of my cupboard under the stairs. Please tell me mine isn’t the only cupboard that ends up looking like this needing a complete pull out and re-tidy on a regular basis.

The flat pack boxes arrived, 2 for this model and I set too one afternoon to assemble it and start making lifestyle changes to my messy cupboard.

It was really simple to make, I did it on my own with the use of my trusty electric screwdriver and before I knew it the problem had been solved.

flatpack DIY IKEA

Top drawer stores dad’s shoes, middle drawer for my stuff and bottom drawer for the the twins. Each shelf has two compartments so the twins have one each.

So now my porch is looking like this and is coping very well with the added storage solution for shoes and the cupboard under the stairs is a shoe free zone which makes for a lot more space. I can walk in now!

IKEA shoe storage

Disclosure: I must thank IKEA Lakeland for the shoe storage cabinet sent to me for the purpose of this post. A second post is to follow concentrating on a craft, homework area and office for me. It’s a bigger project which requires decorating too.

1. September 19, 2014 / 7:22 AM

We bought flatpack shoe racks from Argos.No pre drilled holes so it’s impossible to screw it together.Resulting in shoddy and wonky storage.Not a happy bunny.I’m not looking forward to putting together the bathroom cabinet I bought now.

• September 22, 2014 / 2:59 PM

Oh dear, hope the bathroom cabinet goes better. I have also found that often the cheaper versions don’t come up to expectations. Sometimes it’s better to spend an extra few pounds, and IKEA is not expensive, to be sure of a long lasting piece of furniture.

2. September 19, 2014 / 6:14 PM

Don’t talk to me about storage. Certainly one of the bigger challenges of parenting not to mention my collecting of books and quirky stuff. I love the shoe storage. Cupboards are dangerous – they always end up messy despite my best efforts and my new porch shows signs of heading the same way too. I dream of being slick and minimalistic one day

• September 22, 2014 / 3:01 PM

One day Kate, one day we’ll all have slick minimalist homes but the kids won’t be there – I think that’s the bargain sadly. so I’m happy to put up with a bit of mess to have these happy souls around me for now.
      It’s a good cabinet and does the job ;)

3. September 19, 2014 / 8:49 PM

I NEED this in my life. Our hallway is just a mess of shoes all over the place. I’ve got a small rack (no pun intended!) but it doesn’t hold nearly enough shoes/wellies/etc

• September 22, 2014 / 3:02 PM

Treat yourself, you’ll be very happy you did.
      BUT I still get shoes, crocs and wellies stranded all over the house – I just have somewhere pretty to dump them now.

4. September 20, 2014 / 4:23 PM

That looks really good! This post did make me laugh though. When one of my best friends moved into their Bethnal Green flat years ago, we went to visit and I commented on their shoe rack – very similar to the one you have now! They had no idea it was for shoes and had been storing magazines in it! :D

• September 22, 2014 / 3:03 PM

Hilarious! I could see a whole new post there – alternative uses for a shoe cabinet :)
      Spice rack? Magazine Rack? CD’s
      The list is endless

5. Ali
    September 22, 2014 / 1:57 PM

Oooh we have one of those in our under stair cupboard to tame the unruly shoe mountain! Really fab, love the way Ikea furniture goes together so easily. I saw Aly comment and have to say Ikea flatpack is blissful to put together compared to any others we have done!

With a teenage daughter that loves her shoes on our list to buy is one of Ikea’s wall mounted shoe storage cupboards for just things like school shoes for the hallway!

Oh and yes I think that does look like a normal under stair cupboard! :-)

6. September 23, 2014 / 12:22 PM

haha we used to call our cupboard the ‘cupboard of doom’! It has now been transformed into a pantry and all the shoes are now in the ‘pile of doom’ in the garage!

7. September 25, 2014 / 10:52 AM

I bought one of those in the summer and it is my favourite piece of furniture EVER! I was forever falling over shoes and one of my friends recommended one. Brilliant, it makes such a difference

8. Rosa B.
    January 9, 2015 / 3:58 PM

Lovely ideas! My shoes are out of control! I need more space! Thanks for the cool ideas! Ikea always solves the problem!