Chit chat: Sunshine, riding bikes and building Wendy houses

sloe gin

Who had the most fantastic weekend this last one? We did and I really hope you had a lot of fun too. I just love the Sloe gin that Gordon’s has made, have you tried it yet?

First things first, the British weather played ball and husband got his BBQ out TWICE! He was over the moon, a barbie and a beer and my man is the happiest soul on earth.

wendy house completed

Secondly, we got round to building the girls wendy house I mentioned in my Asda Direct post a short while ago and they LOVE it, we hadn’t got the roof on and they were already moving in.

mari and grandmother

Thirdly, we invited the Golden Oldies round to share our BBQ and we had a wonderful meal outside.

But our fun weekend doesn’t stop there, the girls finally at very long last have picked up how to ride a bike, at school they’ve been practising on balance bikes and gaining confidence. We have been asking if they’d like new bikes for their birthday in July and been met with tears and angry frustration, ‘But I can’t ride without my stabilisers!’ no manner of ‘We’ll help you-s’ went to aiding the situation and we had even started thinking of other presents and then school jumped in and did the ground work for us, it’s amazing how they’ll dig their heels in with us but go ahead quite happily with their teachers.

Anyway, very content with themselves, we had a practise run before turning the camera on and it went perfectly and then we went for a second take…oops!

I should have foreseen it shouldn’t I? Typical!

Anyway here’s my third attempt with Alice showing off her new skills – you can hear me saying ‘Watch where your going!’ this time too :)

I weeded my veggie plot and it’s now looking respectable again, I need to get my hands on some sawdust or make a quiche quick, crush the egg shells and use them to deter the slugs and snails from eating my baby vegetables!

vegetable plot 17 may 2014

So a quick run through of our building Wendy house task, we started on Saturday and had to dig up the uneven garden, lay a base – we used patio slabs on sand and here we put the base down to work on.

wendy house base

Second part was to start constructing the front panel, adding the door and windows and that took us to about 4pm on Saturday when we called it a day as we had family coming for a BBQ.

Sunday morning we were up and out by 9am, we wanted to get as much done as possible quickly so we could sit back and enjoy the gorgeous day, the next part is to put the back and sides on followed by the front, once this part was done the girls were LOVING it and already moving bits in whilst we carried on with the work

wendy house construction

The roof was next and by this time it was getting hot, I’d like to point out that no money was added to the swear box and the instructions were easy to follow too.

wendy house construction

The roof went on, the felt cladding went on, which is a dirty sticky job and then the last fascias and what nots to finish off the job. You’ll notice I haven’t added the panes to the windows yet, this is because I want to paint it first and don’t want to fiddle about with masking tape

wendy house twins

The girls are in their element, I do worry they may grow out of it quite quickly, so to make it more personal I’m going to put some pictures up on the wall they’ve brought home from school, add some books and toys in there and to start them off well, we all went in on Sunday evening and had a game of Uno, they thrashed us! I taught them far too well it would seem.

playing Uno

I’m taking part in Point and Shoot this week
Point+Shoot_snowingindoors.com

1. May 19, 2014 / 3:32 PM

The house looks terrific and so spacious!
    Would love to have one for my little one, but our London garden is too small :(

• May 21, 2014 / 10:05 AM

I bought blue ‘Forget me not’ paint yesterday, this makes me silly excited :)

2. May 19, 2014 / 3:50 PM

Brilliant! All of it! And I love the videos! The girls have picked it up so quickly!!

The Wendy House is stunning. Maybe let the girls name it and then make up a sign for it and hang it on the outside?? I so wish we lived near you so we could bring some tasty treats over for a joint BBQ! Lovely lovely lovely!

:) Karin xx

• May 21, 2014 / 5:27 PM

Brilliant idea, I shall be on the lookout for a piece of wood suitable for a sign now.
      It would be lovely if you lived nearer Karin but I doubt we’d get much work done! As for the cycling it’s been a long time coming and we had flat refusals to even try for months so it’s quite a moment in our house

3. May 19, 2014 / 6:56 PM

That wendy house looks fab and the girls are doing really well on their bikes, I wish Annie’s school would encourage her to ditch the stabilisers because otherwise she’ll be riding a 4 wheeled bike to uni!!

Thanks for linking up with Point + Shoot xx

• May 21, 2014 / 5:28 PM

Ha ha – I bet she won’t be riding to uni with stabilisers! It’s funny how kids click, one minute they refused point blank to even think about it next THEY were asking to get the bikes out and take the stabilisers off.

4. May 19, 2014 / 10:58 PM

What a great week-end! That Wendy house looks amazing. I wish we had the space in our garden (ahem, tiny yard) for one of them; I always drool over them! You definitely seem to have made the most of the sunshine. It will be time for my little man to learn how to ride his bike without stabilisers and I hope he does as well as your girls (we keep putting it off…). Does it really work to put eggshells by your vegetables to repel snails and slugs? What do you do exactly? (quite interested, whenever I try to grow something edible, it gets eaten… by slugs or snails). Mel

• May 21, 2014 / 5:29 PM

I have made a quiche today and kept the egg shells, I’ve just scattered them over the lettuce so I’ll be back on that one. Someone also said putting copper coins around the base of a plant so I might try that one too :)

5. May 19, 2014 / 10:59 PM

I am back! I forgot to tick the ‘follow up comments’ box, silly me! Done now.

6. May 20, 2014 / 10:36 AM

Looks like a great weekend! I haven’t had the Sloe Gin but the Elderflower Gordons gin is gorgeous :-) x

• May 21, 2014 / 5:30 PM

Thanks for the tip, I’ll lookout for the Elderflower one now *hiccup*

7. Michelle
    May 20, 2014 / 11:43 AM

I wish you were my neighbour!! What a wonderful weekend, what a happy family. Well done on that Wendy House, by the way, I’m very impressed! xox

• May 21, 2014 / 5:30 PM

I would love you to be my neighbour! You could come and sit in the Wendy house with me whilst the girls are at school and we could eat biscuits and drink tea :)

8. May 20, 2014 / 11:53 AM

How lovely is your wendy house and well done girls!

9. May 20, 2014 / 12:22 PM

what a brilliant weekend.

And I really want that wooden house. Like really really want it. Especially for playing Uno in.

• May 21, 2014 / 5:37 PM

Come and play Uno with me some time ;) I’ll supply the gin x

10. May 20, 2014 / 12:24 PM

Cool Wendy house! Bike riding is a hot topic chez Saurus as Kitty and Ozzy are struggling with it at the moment, torn between persevering and waiting till they are older.
    Slugs are demons – I just bought some pellets to kill them all. I’m not a nice gardener!

• May 21, 2014 / 5:39 PM

I have sprinkled pellets too, they’re getting on my nerves now and I have to win this battle.

As for the bikes, we went almost a year with flat refusal, I think trying the balance bikes at school did the trick as they changed attitude immediately, they were so much more confident – try a balance bike ;)

11. May 20, 2014 / 2:34 PM

weekends are always better with a bit of sunshine. Well done to your girls for learning to ride their bikes & I love their house too!
    x

12. May 20, 2014 / 5:03 PM

We had two BBQ’s as well….. we just had to make the most of the weather! And we built a little shed for Little A last summer; my husband built, I painted (in 28 degrees of heat!) but it was so worth it as Little A loves it. Your’s looks fab and really spacious. Looks like you had a lovely weekend, and I really enjoyed watching your girls get to grips their bikes. :o).

• May 21, 2014 / 5:40 PM

I bought the paint yesterday and hope to get it painted over half term …they want to help me. Yikes!

13. May 20, 2014 / 9:09 PM

The wendy house is amazing am very jealous, we settled with buying a shed and plastic house. We need to practice our youngest on his bike.

• May 21, 2014 / 5:45 PM

We had a plastic one but it can get very windy here and it was always being tossed about the garden, after one particular storm it was in bits. We’ve waited a long time to replace it but I’m so pleased we did

14. May 21, 2014 / 1:14 AM

What a gorgeous post Mari, you’ve made me feel all warm and contented inside :) Sunshine can make such a difference to how you feel, can’t it? I am thrilled that Gordon’s have started doing sloe gin – much easier than the DIY stuff we used to make, which saw us covered in scratches from picking those elusive berries! The girls’ wendy house looks amazing – and maybe you can even use it yourself to escape for a few minutes peace every now and then ;-) xx

• May 21, 2014 / 5:46 PM

We got your postcard!!! Thank you the girls were so thrilled with it too.

Sunshine makes a whole world of difference to everyone doesn’t it? And I have every finger crossed for a great summer this year

15. May 21, 2014 / 6:51 AM

i just love how your girls sit down and play cards. Lovely memories

• May 21, 2014 / 5:46 PM

Both dad and I were playing too but out of the camera shot. It’s good to teach children cards as the whole family can play, Uno is great for this

16. May 21, 2014 / 8:48 AM

Here’s to sloe gin, wendy houses, barbecues and learning to ride a bike. Sounds as though a fabulous weekend was enjoyed by all x

17. May 21, 2014 / 5:47 PM

Cheers to that Izzie let’s hope we get more sun soon eh?