Against All Odds #TeamHonkRelay #SR14

I love my bike

The first time I mentioned the #TeamHonkRelay I still had over 20 days to go. Yesterday, Sunday, the Cornwall gang set off from Land’s End and we are all systems go sooo….

Husband got my bike out of the shed for me, he pumped the tyres, sprayed WD40 where it needed to go *shrugs shoulders* and he tightened my crankshaft (I have no idea so please don’t ask)

I looked at it, it was dusty, rusty and I Did Not want to go anywhere near it.

marin on bike

Husband suggested I mounted to check the pedal length and I was very shirty with him, ‘It’s too high!’ I shouted at him. The man has an abundance of patience thank God and I eventually did as I was told, begrudgingly, and we lowered the seat to where I wanted it.

THEN, my cyclist friend sees this photo on Facebook and kindly suggests to do what husband was suggesting as I would consume way too much energy if my seat was too low #humblepie

cycling

Then it was time to take it out for a ride, the bit I’ve really been dreading.

I decided to start small, a route that I could do from my front door and back to my front door, I chose a round robin and off I went.

I hadn’t got half way up my first road, (which I had thought was flat) and I was already wishing I’d never got on the bike, I wanted to turn around or just chuck the bike on the pavement and leave it … in a huff.

I pushed on, red faced and heaving, my heart smashing into my ribcage in defiance, telling myself in a worried tone “I don’t think I’m going to make this,” how embarrassing!

I made it all the way round, just. I went indoors and heard husband ask, ‘Already back?’

So I immediately knew that although I was pleased I had completed my first route I was WAY off reaching my goal – Southend on Sea.

If nothing else I am feeling more confident. I have downloaded an app Map My Ride which is keeping track of my progress, here’s a screen shot of today’s humongous effort… what do you mean ONLY 59 calories!

map my ride

I shall have another go tomorrow at some point too.

Things I like about my cycling love affair so far

1. I quite like my padded leggings, they look as if I am wearing a huge nappy but so far I have no pain down below.
  2. I love my shiny new bike helmet
  3. I LOVE that I have Krypton written on the light on my handle bar (see photo)

Countdown two weeks as the baton slowly makes its way across the bottom of the UK over to Kent, can I do it?

If you would like to sponsor me please head over to the Team Honk Gravesend page every penny will be gratefully received, thank you

The first ever Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Games take place from Friday 21st to Sunday 23rd March 2014. The public can join the fun and games by running, swimming or cycling their way to raising cash at over a thousand venues around the country, including the landmark events at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

As one of the biggest fundraising events, Sport Relief brings the entire nation together to get active, raise cash and change lives. The money raised by the public is spent by Comic Relief to help transform the lives of some of the poorest and most disadvantaged people both at home in the UK and across the world.

Share:

1. January 13, 2014 / 7:09 AM

Go Mari go! You can do it!!!!

• January 14, 2014 / 2:37 PM

I hope so Kate, I’m feeling very doubtful but hopefully that will pass soon

2. January 13, 2014 / 7:33 AM

Go Mari!! You are amazing! I can’t wait meet you and am honoured to be passing the Baton to you.
    I linked to your ‘plan’ post in my one – hope that’s ok?
    Xx

• January 14, 2014 / 2:38 PM

Thanks for the Link, I’ll be doing another before the day and will link back to you and Becky, I’m looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time :)

3. January 13, 2014 / 10:13 AM

This is not going to be a walk in the park but I have every faith that you can do it…well done taking those first steps, it WILL get easier. My ride starts off with a big long hill & I nearly die when I do it but once I’ve conquered that hill I really enjoy the rest of the ride xx

• January 14, 2014 / 2:39 PM

You are a constant inspiration to me Helen, PLEASE keep pushing me and re assuring me I’ll get there – that’s my major worry, letting the team down

4. January 13, 2014 / 1:18 PM

Good for you – you can do it :)

5. hilda hazel wright
    January 13, 2014 / 2:10 PM

Your description is funny, I have an aversion to getting on the bike…always results in a sore bum at the end of the day! I’ve been using the mapping thingy on the internet to calculate the distance of walks I’ve been doing and log them after recklessly declaring I want to walk 2014 miles this year! I’m up to 45 so far! Its really handy! Good luck with your mission!

• January 14, 2014 / 2:41 PM

Thank you Hilda and best of luck with your mission, 2014 miles is a huge number to reach but if you don’t start you’ll never get there. 45 is good, now for a few more :)

6. January 13, 2014 / 8:46 PM

Woot – go team honk. I used to love cycling – it’s a really great way to excercise and gets you where you’re going. Looks like you’re getting in the spirit :-)
    Have a great week x #motivationalmonday

• January 14, 2014 / 2:42 PM

Thanks Vicky, I must admit I need a bit more enthusiasm and faith in myself right now, but hopefully I’ll get there

7. January 13, 2014 / 9:06 PM

Ooh good luck! it was so ace starting the relay yesterday :) And I can’t wait to see what you look like in your padded leggings. I think I shall pretend that I am wearing some from now on! x

• January 14, 2014 / 2:43 PM

I saw you Pippa, very well done and what a brilliant start to the #temhonkrelay I hope to carry on as well as you all did

8. January 14, 2014 / 12:59 AM

Awesome Mari! Those padded leggings will be a godsend.Amazingly happy to have you on board the Honk Train and putting so much effort and energy into this x

• January 14, 2014 / 2:44 PM

Can we do something less strenuous next year? A sponsored spa break maybe? A sponsored ‘Lion’s sleeping’ kind of thing, just putting it out there ;)

9. January 14, 2014 / 1:23 AM

I was about to point out that your seat looked too low, but sounds like I am way behind on that one. I have every confidence in you Mari, Team Honk will make a keen cyclist of you yet!

• January 14, 2014 / 2:45 PM

I tell you Fiona, if Team Honk can’t do it NOBODY will – very well done to you all by the way for such a fabulous start xx

10. January 14, 2014 / 10:26 AM

Padded leggings is definitely the way to go! When we’ve don long trips in the past I’ve had the leggings and a gel seat cover – just in case! Good luck lovely lady – I’m sure you’ll be epic!

• January 14, 2014 / 2:46 PM

Nice tip – gel seat cover – jotted down that one ;) and thank you for your support

11. January 14, 2014 / 12:07 PM

Go on Mari! You can do it! And in a huge nappy you won’t even need to stop!

• January 14, 2014 / 2:47 PM

Yes, I won’t be the next Paula Radcliffe that’s for sure!

12. January 14, 2014 / 12:08 PM

Good luck, you’ll do brilliantly, well done for trying something that isn’t easy, go Team Honk!

• January 14, 2014 / 2:47 PM

Next time I shall think before I speak, I promise you that!

• January 14, 2014 / 2:48 PM

They’re not a pretty sight but they do have a bit of pink on the leg so …

13. January 14, 2014 / 1:41 PM

Good luck! You can do it. The padded leggings will be heaven! I did the London to Brighton bike ride with pretty much no training. You’ve got this! HONK

• January 14, 2014 / 2:49 PM

HONK!! Really, you have that much faith in me, if you say you did it with little training then maybe I should have more faith in myself?
      Too late to pull out so onwards and upwards now

14. January 14, 2014 / 1:47 PM

Argh! 59 calories? I hope you get to burn off more before the big event.Good luck Krypton!

• January 14, 2014 / 2:49 PM

How disappointing was that Aly? All that way for two chocolates basically, pfftt.

LOVE my new name :)

15. January 14, 2014 / 2:01 PM

I haven’t rode a bike in years, sending good luck wishes and hopes for a padded seat

• January 14, 2014 / 2:50 PM

Me neither and thanks for the luck I’m going to need all of it

16. January 14, 2014 / 3:17 PM

Oh god…Mari I am scared, I love my bike, but never go further than the local shops. My cyclist friend said the same to me about the seat. I am having me some padded leggings, good luck, wish we were doing cycling together.

17. Oh Mari – I know that feeling when you look at your bike, and it looks at you and you both think “really??”. I am in utter awe of you doing this, padded leggings and all – be assured we’ll be cheering you every pedal of the way

18. January 14, 2014 / 3:54 PM

Go Go Go – you can SOOOOOO do it! Loving the padded legging by the way :-D

19. January 14, 2014 / 8:01 PM

Crikey it’s coming up fast isn’t it?!

I’m both nervous and excited. In awe of you on your bike though! Go Mari x

20. January 14, 2014 / 10:03 PM

Oh Mari, bless you, we will ALL be cheering you on the day and cannot WAIT to see you to collect the baton! You can totally do this!

21. January 14, 2014 / 11:06 PM

You’ve made me nervous. Am getting mine out for the first time in yonks tomorrow. You’re looking good though Mari – and good for you for even having a go! X

22. January 15, 2014 / 3:11 AM

Looking good Mari! Go on ya girl, you can do it ;-) xx

23. January 15, 2014 / 4:12 AM

Good luck :) Wish I could get involved, but I’ll be tweeting for you all from across the pond!

24. January 15, 2014 / 3:13 PM

we are all feeling like this. The difference between you and me is that YOU DID IT!! You started! And that’s always the hardest part! Go Mari!

25. January 15, 2014 / 8:42 PM

Google Hoo Ha Cream.

You’ll thank me for it :-)