The British coast in autumn

We put our caravan in storage over a month ago but we needed to go down and put her ‘blanket’ on plus make sure all was ok, seeing Saturday was going to be a bright and breezy morning off we went to Thanet and once the job was done, we head off to Westgate on Sea for some fish and chips and a walk along the prom.

scooting on the beach

We took the girls scooters as they will go for miles with them but try and get them to walk the same distance and it’s tears, moan, tears.

having a rest

Wrapped up against the chilly wind off we set along the walkway flanking the sea yelling to the girls to STOP! Before they disappeared around the corner out of sight because you just can’t be too careful these days.

flock of seagulls

We walked as far as the next beach and remnants of last week’s storm were visiible in the amount of seaweed on the beach. Sadly it was full of flies – so many flies it was uncomfortable to walk through so we had to turn back.

dancing on stage

So we found a ‘stage’ and did a bit of dancing and prancing about.

beach hut

Walking a little bit further we were surprised to see a row of beach huts still on the beach – surely they’d put them away in the winter? But no, they were chained to the rocks behind, one had the door open and I asked the owner if I could take a few photos as inside was so pretty.

inside a beach hut

Isn’t this the perfect beach hut? Next it was time for coffees and ice creams and one last look before heading back into the enormous rain cloud hanging over North Kent.

looking out to sea

a great day in the fresh air.

1. November 4, 2013 / 8:55 AM

My Aunt had a beach hut at west gate and we used to go a lot when I was a child. Not as nice as this.

• November 6, 2013 / 2:37 PM

What a small world, I’m a secret beach hut lover and who know’s if I’ll ever have one of my own but this one here was full of detail inside, I could have spent hours there

2. November 4, 2013 / 10:14 AM

Sounds like a wonderful trip. x

• November 6, 2013 / 2:47 PM

It was nice to get some fresh air and eat fish and chips from the local takeaway – small pleasures.

3. November 4, 2013 / 12:08 PM

You were on our beach!! Wish I had been there to give you a hug! We’re on the list for one of those beach huts!

• November 6, 2013 / 2:48 PM

They’re a fabulous size inside and this lady had done hers out so gorgeously, I could have spent hours in there. Hope you get yours soon – I can gatecrash then :D

4. November 4, 2013 / 2:08 PM

What great day out – lovely photos and how much do I fancy a beach hut now?

• November 6, 2013 / 2:53 PM

They’re really cool aren’t they? I’d love to have one and do it up like this lady has done

5. November 4, 2013 / 2:36 PM

what a lovely day and fantastic outing. I adore that hut! How comfy cosy and cute!

• November 6, 2013 / 2:59 PM

Isn’t it just? The lady who owns it is so creative, I could have spent hours in there

6. Karen
    November 4, 2013 / 2:55 PM

Aaahh what a lovely day out. We love the beach too whatever the weather x

• November 6, 2013 / 3:03 PM

Yes, we’ll most likely go down again a couple of times over the winter, you can’t beat the fresh air that comes off the sea to rosy the cheeks up can you?

7. November 4, 2013 / 11:21 PM

That beach hut is fab, how cool to own one! Something very final about putting the blanket on your caravan for the season but lovely that you turned it into a day out. Not keen on the ideas of the flies in the seaweed, I think I would have turned back at that one too. I wonder if you will venture back to check on things over the winter months? I think winter is every bit as beautiful as summer on the beach. Thank you for sharing with me on Country Kids.

• November 6, 2013 / 3:03 PM

I agree, winter is just as beautiful on the beach so long as you’re wrapped up warm, there is so much to discover

8. November 6, 2013 / 12:33 AM

That looks amazing, all the pictures are so beautiful and peaceful and the beach hut so cute – I want one! xx

• November 6, 2013 / 3:06 PM

Me too, especially as lovely as this lady had made hers! I don’t think I’d ever want to leave it

9. Lili
    November 19, 2013 / 2:22 PM

Hi Marianne that’s my ‘Shed’ aka Beach Hut… I so love it and it feels fab that others like it too ;-)