BritMums Live 2013 for me meant work as being part of the BritMums team I gladly gave up my time to help out wherever I could. I was given the main room in the house to run (the one in the photo here – big isn’t it?) and on the whole I think I did a pretty good job, the blisters on my feet are sign that I certainly worked my butt off!
The past couple of months have been spent looking after the administration for the BritMums BiBs awards 16 categories of different kinds of blogs with shortlisted, finalist lists and then the winners. It’s been a very busy time and I have discovered some amazing new blogs and nodded my head at many of the judges final decisions.
As much as I love being part of the BritMums team there’s the other part of me that would just love to sit back and enjoy the conference, go to the sessions that I like best, sit and drink with my bloggie mates and be able to visit the sponsors. TK Maxx were there offering a stylist consultation, I’d have loved to have done that! Royal Caribbean Cruises were there – I mean who wouldn’t want to talk to them and flutter their eyelids???
Fortunately I did manage to say a quick hi to the Butlins team who I’ve worked with for two years now and I did manage a quick chat with the Panasonic team who had all of their kitchen equipment on show and their cameras which are utterly gorgeous. All the photos I took at BritMums Live are on my tiny Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3 – I even gave it to the girls to try out recently remember? But I would love to try a bigger camera out and really push myself in the photography area.
Also being part of the admin for the BiBs and the BritMums team means I couldn’t ask for Mari’s World to be nominated for an award, which if I’m honest with you I’d love to win an award – who wouldn’t? So these are the two downsides of working at a conference such as BritMums.
But on the plus side
- I met Katie Piper, I listened with immense admiration to her powerful presentation and vowed to make room on Mari’s World for her charity helping others with disfigurement Katie Piper Foundation.
- I hugged many, many of my bloggie mates, I went for a pizza with some too. Online friendships became real and friendships I have already formed became stronger.
- I met new bloggers – hundreds of them and all so very, very lovely
- I introduced all the sessions in the main room on the microphone in front of huge crowds, I even pronounced Jaume Marin’s name wrong! (marketing director of Costa Brava Tourist Board)
- I had a fabulous lunch with HomeSenseUK and am lucky enough to be one of their chosen bloggers to start spreading the word, more of that to come soon
- By listening in on the sessions and discussions around me I understand where to go with Mari’s World from here, how to make it better both for you the reader and for me the author and more importantly the passion for writing a book has been fired up again and soon I shall be joining a writing group to improve those skills too.
So if you are thinking of blogging let me assure you it’s therapeutic to get words off your chest and on to paper, the community is a loving, caring one and there are brands jumping to work with you and help spread the word, get in touch if you need any tips, I’ll gladly help you start up.
Thanks to Jen Howze and Susanna Scott for making BritMums Live possible and round of applause to the ladies who we don’t see but put in an enormous amount of work to make sure it all works on the day.