Twins aged 3 and a half

It’s Twin Talk time and the last was back in the October half term with a run down on how they’d taken to pre-school. Well I can say hand on heart they love it – preschool that is, they have made lots of friends and talk about them constantly at home. Main subjects they seem to talk about when referring to their friends are parties and house visits. All of their friends apparently want to visit our house! So this is something I shall look into organising at some point I’d just like for better weather when we can all play in the garden.

I’ve noticed the pair of them role playing so much more now. Shop keeping seemed to be a hot favourite before Christmas so when I spotted a plastic toy trolley in Asda I whipped it up for an extra pressie and they haven’t played that game since! Not only that, my cheap Asda shopping trolley fell apart on day 1 and now it’s seriously threatened with the bin – another £8 down the drain! It seemed such a good idea at the time.

Another favourite game I’ve noticed them playing which they must have picked up from preschool is ‘Fashion Show’ The game consists of getting every teddy in the house and lining them along the stairs and then they sit and play with their teddies chatting away to each other for ages. Great game!

Bessie seems to be the chattier of the two and Alice will often step back and let her get on with it and in the car I now have two back set drivers as they shout out to me,  ‘Mummy have you turned the lights on?’ and if it’s raining ‘Mummy you need the wind screen wipers!’

Toilet training is well and truly a thing of the past thank goodness, we have the very rare accident and it’s usually because they are tired.

Talking of being tired, when they pass their limit – Bessie in particular – we have the most spectacular tantrums. Saturday night was the most recent and the worst by far. We were at a family party and they were both playing with all the other children and loving it but it was obvious they were past their bedtime and getting very very tired. When Daddy decided enough, home time Bessie totally freaked out on him. He picked her up screaming her head off, kicking and punching that she wanted to go out in the garden. It wasn’t a pretty sight and the more I tried to pacify her the worse she got. It was as if she was in a totally different zone and was oblivious to me, my voice or my cuddles. Luckily we got home she went to bed and the next day she was back to herself but it was very unnerving to watch. I have resolved to not let her pass that point again as it can’t do her any good.

As far as food is concerned they seem to have gone a bit backwards rather than forwards in as much as they will now decide before even tasting they don’t like something which is really annoying. They will call something ‘Yucky’ which they haven’t got from me or Paul. The only way of getting around this is to sit and eat with them and eat the ‘yucky’ bits in front of them umming and arring how wonderful they are, their curiosity usually gets the better of them and they end up tasting too and liking.

I can find one day they’ll totally NOT like yoghurt and will refuse it BUT if Alice caves in and has one her sister will soon follow suit and demand one instantly when she’d just been shouting she didn’t want one. Very confusing and irritating – I hope they grow out of this phase fast.

They love me reading stories to them and Santa brought us some lovely new titles to enjoy but The Gruffalo still remains a firm favourite. They are very good at counting and a couple of days brought home from preschool their first ‘letter work’ which has inspired me to buy a couple of activity books from the supermarket. I’m not sure if it’s something I should be doing or not but it would seem a lot of other mums encourage lots of writing and numbers before the children start school so I’ll give it a go too. I don’t want to stress them as I’m sure they’ll pick it all up at school on the other hand I don’t want to keep them back either, it’s very difficult to know what is right.

As this is a new term and they have settled so well into preschool I have decided to add one activity into their week for them to enjoy and that is gymnastics. We had our tester lesson yesterday, luckily they recognised a few faces from preschool and took to it immediately so we’ve signed up for a term to see how we get on. I was impressed to watch them and how the class was organised mind you I took them home exhausted and ratty!

I’m also taking part with Tara’s The Gallery this week which asks for photos taken with your phone. Every day I take a photo of their works of art they bring home from school or activity and add it to my Posterous site as a blog for them to look back on in years to come and all of the photos here were taken with my phone, no instagram specials for me, just plain old point and shoot and pray!

Next Twin catch up at Feb half term!

P.S I keep remembering things to add to this post and having just dressed them I need to note the ARGUMENTS we have in the morning whilst getting dressed as they both want ‘pretty dresses’ and not the jeans I want them in for preschool! Arrghhh Time 8.44am

1. January 11, 2012 / 11:29 AM

Point shoot and pray is usually my philosophy but Tara got me to try instagram this week and it is very clever! i love that you are making them a keepsake blog. What a fab idea. Lovely. x

• Mari
      Author
      January 11, 2012 / 6:15 PM

Apparently Instagram isn’t for HTC – I’m gutted, I need a few hundred quid to change phone so I can join in too

2. Mum2BabyInsomniac
    January 11, 2012 / 2:28 PM

Ahhh twins must be so much fun, and I love the name Bessie! So cute x

• Mari
      Author
      January 11, 2012 / 6:16 PM

Thanks, it is fun but busy, like most twin mums I won’t be crying at the gate when they start school in September but running home to make the most of some much needed me time! :)

3. Mama makes
    January 11, 2012 / 5:03 PM

Oh bless, I love the one of them colouring together, Gorgeous! x

• Mari
      Author
      January 11, 2012 / 6:17 PM

It is sweet isn’t it and then I discovered later they’d drawn off the mat and all over the floor with red felt pen :)

4. January 11, 2012 / 5:07 PM

Gorgeous shots. And how lovely to have three year old twin girls. Friends forever no doubt. x

• Mari
      Author
      January 11, 2012 / 6:17 PM

I’d like to think so and I LOVE your entry today Rosie, absolutely fabulous. Everyone must go and see it

5. January 11, 2012 / 7:33 PM

hello Mari – i haven’t stopped by your blog for a few weeks either – i do apologise. BUT i am glad I have today because I have a lovely update of your gorgeous girls to catch up on. it sounds like they are doing so well and i love the fact that you have a posterous site where you post photos of them – they will really appreciate that when they are older (as will you). i don’t tend to use any fancy apps either i have i used instgram but thats it. xx

• Mari
      Author
      January 11, 2012 / 9:58 PM

Lovely to see you jenny big hugs from me xx

6. LauraCYMFT
    January 11, 2012 / 8:44 PM

Such cute little girls. I can’t say I blame them wanting to wear pretty dresses as they look adorable in their dresses shot!

• Mari
      Author
      January 11, 2012 / 10:03 PM

Aww thank you. I do love the fact they like to dress up just not every day!

7. Helloitsgemma
    January 11, 2012 / 8:55 PM

get yourself on Instagram – you don’t have enough to do!!!! great photos, they are busy your girls, impressed with gymnatistics

• Mari
      Author
      January 11, 2012 / 10:05 PM

But I have an HTC – does Instagram work on Android or is it iPhone only? I’m off to do some detective work x

8. Sonia Constant
    January 11, 2012 / 10:47 PM

Ahhhh this post is so cute, your twins are sooooooo soooo cute…. I want them please? :-) haha

9. If I Could Escape
    January 12, 2012 / 4:36 AM

What a lovely post and fab photos. x

10. January 12, 2012 / 10:25 AM

Oh I can picture it now! Trouble doubled or double the pleasure! I can’t believe their age, I remember reading about their 3rd birthday – I thought that was just the other day ;)

11. Funky Wellies
    January 12, 2012 / 3:27 PM

I have enjoyed reading the update! :) The photo of the two of them in that box is my favourite, just so cute!

12. Musings from a mum
    January 30, 2012 / 2:48 PM

Such a lovely idea to write an update on your daughters regularly. I think I might have to start doing the same for all of mine so we have something to look back on and share together. Time goes so fast!

• Mari
      Author
      January 31, 2012 / 7:15 PM

That’s the trouble time flies by and I forget things so it’s always best for me to write them down