Majorca – family holidays as a child

You know you’re going way back in time if it’s a black and white photo right? That is little me in a very ‘model’ pose back in the early 70’s, my brother Dee is to the left of the photo and the other child in the buggy is the son of friends who came on holiday with us that year.

The man popping his head through to the patio area is my dad and these were happy times for our family as dad was still living with us. We are in my grandparents villa in Majorca in a tiny village to the north east called Canyamel. Back then the area was barren but it didn’t take long for complexes and hotels to shoot up all over the place.

I must have been six in this photo and Dee 2 and a half which means Dom (my other brother) wasn’t yet with us and this could possibly be our first holiday there but it was to be the first of many. In fact we went every year until I was well into my teens.

Standing on that balcony you had the swimming pool below that was shared with the other apartments around us and a view over the bay to the mountains on the other side. Alfredo was our caretaker and he could always be spotted watering the plants, cleaning the swimming pool or pottering about with various maintenance jobs. He had two children Francisco who was a superb swimmer thanks to having a pool available to him 24/7 and Dolores his younger sister. As I grew up I became aware that all the older girls fancied Francisco so I  followed suit and fancied him too only I don’t think he even knew I was there!

Our days were spent – mornings on the beach and to reach the beach we would run down hundreds of steps, a hard climb back up for lunch and afternoons were spent by the pool where I learnt to swim; a very proud photographic moment for my mother but alas I don’t have the photo to share of that momentous occasion. I remember very well my parents visiting the local liquor factory each year and taking empty litre bottles with them to be filled with rum and gin. They learnt a tough lesson though one year discovering my 7 year old brother Dee drunk in the bath after drinking  a glass of ‘coke’ Oops!

6 months pregnant with Megan - what I'd do to have that body back

Every holiday we’d be treated to a meal out in the local restaurant and one with a mini golf was a favourite of ours. Another on the mountain side was obviously ‘only for grown ups’ which possibly meant expensive as one evening we would be looked after by the family above or to the side whilst our adults dined on crab, lobster and other delights too good for us and another evening, their kids would spend time with us whilst their parents ate and dined

I have many wonderful memories of Canyamel, looking at the black and white photo above still brings a smile to my heart. I returned after many years in 1990 with my husband Enrico and our son Thomas. In this photo to the side you can clearly see I’m expecting Megan. Sadly that was to be our last visit as a few years later my grandparents decided to sell the villa and writing about it has made me more aware of how much I miss it and those happy days and beautiful, sunny Canyamel.

This is my entry for Flashback Friday over at Karin’s Cafe Bebe, there are many more fascinating FF’s for you, nip over nad have a read

1. Jenny Paulin
    May 20, 2011 / 8:19 AM

I love your pig tail posing in the top photo. What lovely, cherished memories you have of such a lovely sounding place. How wonderful to return again with your family, and for the record the is no way I could clearly see you we pregnant in that side photo! You look so slim! xx

• Mari
      Author
      May 20, 2011 / 8:56 AM

I can see it as I know I’m pregnant! – That was a long time ago and I’d die to have a body like that again! :)

2. May 20, 2011 / 8:59 AM

Great photos, and lovely memories. I once accidentally drank my Dad’s “coke’ at a party much to my Mum’s alarm as it was a very large whiskey, no harm done though – I danced around like a loon laughing and entertaining everyone then fell fast asleep!

• Mari
      Author
      May 22, 2011 / 10:25 AM

Brilliant story! Luckily ours was a safe ending too, my brother also crashed out and never knew any worse, I don’t think he’d drunk that much thank goodness

3. Frankie Parker
    May 20, 2011 / 12:03 PM

What great holidays to have when you were young, sounds idylic..

• Mari
      Author
      May 22, 2011 / 10:26 AM

I do have very happy memories and hope I make happy memories in turn for the girls

4. Mama Syder
    May 20, 2011 / 1:27 PM

Fabulous Flashback and I love reading your happy memories of your Grandparents villa, sounds wonderful x

• Mari
      Author
      May 22, 2011 / 10:26 AM

sometimes I wish we still had it :)

5. May 20, 2011 / 4:13 PM

I would never have been able to tell you were pregnant in that photo you look fabulous! I would love to have a villa abroad! x

• Mari
      Author
      May 22, 2011 / 10:27 AM

Wouldn’t we all! I was only 24 back then and I had issues with my body, looking back I can clearly see they were so unfounded adn shouldn’t have worried me at all!

6. May 21, 2011 / 6:22 AM

Agreed – I’m pregnant now and would love to look that glam (but still happy with how I am). It is very strange revisiting childhood places isn’t it? Wonderful thought that you are now creating special memories for your own children now.

• Mari
      Author
      May 22, 2011 / 10:31 AM

Ohhh, best of luck with your pregnancy the important part is enjoying a healthy pregnancy and delivering a bonny baby on time! Thanks for the compliment

7. May 21, 2011 / 8:02 AM

It looks a lovely place and you have such fantastic memories of happy family times there. I would never have guessed you were pregnant either! Yummy Mummy indeed! :-) x

• Mari
      Author
      May 22, 2011 / 10:34 AM

Thank you! Compared to my twin pregnancy that tummy was nothing!

8. Karin @ Cafe Bebe
    May 21, 2011 / 10:11 AM

Oh how I adore your flashbacks Mari. Absolutely delightful. You should work for a tourism board! ;) Thanks so much for sharing. I too would like to have your body in that last photos…well, not YOUR body in a weird way, but…oh, you know what I mean (I hope!) ;)

Karin

• Mari
      Author
      May 22, 2011 / 10:35 AM

Ha, I love how you muddle your own words, I know what you mean! I did work for the Italian Tourist Board for a long time – best job I’ve ever had :)

9. Funky Wellies
    May 23, 2011 / 1:43 PM

What lovely memories! And that first photo is gorgeous.