Croatia by boat, down to Rovinj

Call me crazy, call me bonkers but I must have sailor blood in me as this baby here represents to me my dream holiday.

An Ocean Liner more commonly known as a cruise ship – a holiday at sea with every entertainment and pastime you could possibly imagine.

There hovering around the top of my ‘ To Do Before I Die’ list is a cruise.

Not a posh cruise where one has to dress up for dinner and fellow guests are studying what you’re wearing in order to place you in their scale of 1 – 10 to decide whether you fit or not. No no.

I have got to see this to believe it!

Give me a family friendly, massive ocean liner where every day the four of us can get lost in the swimming pools, cinemas, shopping malls, tennis courts, crazy golf and in the evening be entertained by the onboard crew.

My cruise passion was born as I watched my uncle board an ocean liner in Southampton back in the 70’s. He was going to Australia and that for me, not quite 10, conjured up such excitement. As the family said their goodbyes all I could do was ask questions and interrupt.

‘Where is Australia?’ I asked my parents as I watched my grandmother wipe tears from her eyes, as granddad held his son by the shoulders and then shook his hand pulling him towards him and hugging him in a singular masculine movement.

‘On the other side of the world.’

On. The. Other. Side. Of. The. World? Unimaginable. How cool was that? Wait till I tell them at school tomorrow, that my uncle was going to the other side of the world, they would be so impressed.

My uncle was a’Gap year student’ before the name was coined and he returned with hundreds of photos and gifts. I got a koala bear… a toy one of course.

Alfredo’s gulet

The closest I have got to my dream cruise so far is a boating holiday. We boarded our gulet at Monfalcone, a harbour placed at the top of the Adriatic Sea not far from Trieste and our captain, Alfredo, set sail as the sun started to descend in the warm afternoon. We head across to Umag on the Croatian coast in time for dinner.

My first ‘cruise’ took us down the coast as far as the beautiful city of Rovinj stopping off at breathtaking beauty spots along the way.

Rovinj, Croatia

This was the life for me. No shoes on board, shorts, t-shirts, diving off the side when anchoring in the secluded secret bays along the coast, catching your dinner fresh from the sea and smelling in sea air from morn till night. Bliss.

I would jump at the opportunity to repeat that holiday aboard the Turkish Gulet that hadn’t received its new sails in time for departure and I would also dive at any opportunity to spend time on a cruise ship, imagine being invited to review one! I’m getting excited at the thought alone.

I’m in blue to the left, My daughter in the centre my son taking a photo

So back to that dream of mine, well many companies have 25 night trips skirting around the Caribbean Islands on an Ocean Liner which offer Kidzone to keep the children amused, sports and swimming pool for the other half and a Spa centre plus gym for me! I assure you I would love every single second of this kind of holiday and I am keeping my fingers crossed as one day I will go and I shall tell you all about it.

Now where did I put that nautical t shirt of mine?

The photos have been scanned as they were taken back in 2002!

1. astrodarlings
    January 20, 2011 / 8:58 AM

It would be very relaxing to go on an oceanic cruise. Hope your wish comes true.

• January 20, 2011 / 4:45 PM

Wouldn’t it just….I have a feeling in my bones this dream will come true – I just dont’ know when :) thanks for coming by

2. January 20, 2011 / 8:21 AM

Looks like a great passion to have. We ghave been thinking about taking to the seas! This will certainly help our decision!

3. Lola
    January 20, 2011 / 9:15 AM

Fantastic dream – hope it becomes reality for you one day!

XOXO Lola:)

• January 20, 2011 / 4:46 PM

Thank you Nora, I shall certainly blog it if it does come true!

4. Kerry
    January 20, 2011 / 10:57 AM

How fantastic I went on a cruise with my school around the holy lands when I was about 15 and it was amazing. But I too think it is in my blood, all of my mums family were in the navy and I love hearing their stories about where they went and what the boats were like. xx

• January 20, 2011 / 4:47 PM

I have a great grandfather who sailed around the world with his family, he immagrated from Hungary before WW2 and my dad was in the navy in his early days. Like you I love sailing – Ah ha me hearties and all that :)

5. January 20, 2011 / 11:41 AM

aaah lovely to indulge in a little dreaming.. who knows maybe a great big holiday company will read this and send you on your way….

Maggy x

• January 20, 2011 / 4:48 PM

Ohhh Maggy wouldn’t that just be a dream come true????? Thanks for coming by x

• Liz Farmer
        November 13, 2013 / 4:00 PM

Wow you really have been dreaming of cruising…I am finding this week very tough, I have stopped looking at it now and Just will say whatever happens happens for a reason..good luck to you…my kids keep getting he votes in, I can’t bear it any longer…know how I feel!!! Liz

• November 13, 2013 / 9:03 PM

Hi Liz,

Thanks so much for coming by and yes it’s a very tough week, every time your kids get home from school I watch your scores soar and my heart drops and I lose faith but I have to keep at it as it is such a fabulous prize.

Your kids are brilliant – I wish I was back at school too!

Like you say wishing you the best of luck and I am really looking forward to The End as I find it quite exhausting, Mari

6. JDaniel4's Mom
    January 20, 2011 / 1:14 PM

I went on a cruise once and it was wonderful. We had the best time.

• January 20, 2011 / 4:49 PM

…and now I’m jealous! LOL I just know it would be a holiday I would adore…one day…one day ;)

7. Raw Thoughts And Feelings
    January 20, 2011 / 2:55 PM

I love to be by the ocean, and I love to go on the boat. When I was younger, I didn’t get seasick at all..Now, it’s a different story, I spent 2 days out of 4 sick and in bed :-(

Beautiful dream, and I would love to see it come true for you!

• January 20, 2011 / 4:50 PM

You’ll certainly hear all about it if it does come true. I don’t think you suffer so much sea sickness on such a large ship though – worth a try surely?

8. Gattina
    January 20, 2011 / 4:10 PM

I have done a cruise once through the Mediterranian sea, it was wonderful !! My next one will be to the Northpole, that’s my dream !

• January 20, 2011 / 4:51 PM

The Med is beautiful, also the Norwegian Fjords are on my list and the Caribbean, and anywhere really, just get me a ticket and I’ll be there :)

9. H
    January 20, 2011 / 6:30 PM

The nearest I have come to a cruise is a week on the Norfolk Broads in a half-decker (a small 2-person sailing boat with half a deck; mainly round the edges). By day, we sailed; by night we threw the canvas over the boom and ‘camped’. It was fun, but nowhere near as exotic as a cruise.

Thanks for your visit to my blog :)

• January 21, 2011 / 1:14 PM

I’d love to do the Norfolk Broads I’m just going to have to wait till the girls are a little older. There are also inifinte canals in Ireland, that must be beautiful too

• January 21, 2011 / 1:12 PM

10. Rocky Mountain Woman
    January 20, 2011 / 10:39 PM

So, I’ve been on a couple of cruises and I have to say, it’s not something I’ll go out of my way to do again. I guess I just need more action in my vacations. I found myself anxious for the next port of call so I could get off the ship and walk around and look at stuff…

I probably will take another cruise just because some of my friends like them and I’d do alone to be a good friend, but it isn’t something I’d do again on my own.

You should definitely go on a cruise though and make up your own mind! And the food is fantastic and I did like lying by the pool and reading for the first hour or so…guess I don’t do “relax” very well. Maybe I should work on that.

• January 21, 2011 / 1:15 PM

That is probably it, I never get any me time and so therefore would be over the moon to just be able to sit and enjoy me for five minutes :)

11. Paige
    January 21, 2011 / 1:05 AM

That’s a great dream! I’ve been on the party ship type and the wearing formal wear type and I loved both! Although, I prefer dressing up. But it is a wonderful, carefree vacation. Hope you go soon – share photos!

• January 21, 2011 / 1:16 PM

I adore dressing up too but just wouldn’t feel comfortable ‘having’ to do it every day. That would annoy me as I hate ‘having’ to do anything

12. Judie
    January 21, 2011 / 3:08 AM

Mari, I get sooooo seasick! I hope your dream comes true, though. thanks for the comment on my post!!

• January 21, 2011 / 1:17 PM

Ah, poor you! Touch wood, I have never suffered and that would ruin a dream if I suddenly started, wouldn’t it?

13. victoria
    January 21, 2011 / 8:25 PM

I always dreamed of doing one and finally had the opportunity in 2005. Now I can say: been there, done that. It was ok but just not my style…although I really enjoyed visiting Bermuda, the Bermuda Triangle on a glass bottom boat and getting to see all the colorful fish. Oh, and must not forget the RUM cakes!!! I guess I just felt trapped out on the ocean and knowing you couldn’t get off :)

• January 22, 2011 / 9:50 PM

I suppose it’s not for everyone and maybe after doing one I may think the same as you although I don’t think so as I get so excited and I just love the suspense of waiting for the next resort – it beats a coach drive that’s for sure!

14. Liz
    January 22, 2011 / 5:39 AM

Love your Ocean Liner story! What a beautiful dream – hope it comes true! Thanks for stopping by Noexcuses and leaving a comment. I love your writing, and shall be back for more when I have more time.

• January 22, 2011 / 9:51 PM

Thank you too for coming by! I hope our paths cross again :)

15. Jenny Matlock
    January 22, 2011 / 8:57 PM

I love your dream! I know you’ll get to do this one day. I will start entering cruise giveaways for you…and you should, too! Maybe this will be your year!

What an outstanding link to Alphabe-Thursday’s letter “O”.

I really enjoyed my visit here with you. I have my fingers (and toes and eyes) crossed for you to realize this dream someday soon.

A+

• January 22, 2011 / 9:52 PM

Thank you Jenny. I’m already working on my P ;)

16. shafeena
    January 22, 2011 / 10:18 PM

oh my gosh !! love it !! ocean liners are the coolest… lets go for an around the world cruise !!

17. Circus Queen
    January 24, 2011 / 2:21 PM

Oh yes, go to the Caribbean! As a Trinidadian, I’m outlandishly biased in saying this: it’s the best part of the world.

18. Liz Farmer
    November 13, 2013 / 4:03 PM

Hi, you really have been dreaming if it…I am finding this week very tough….whatever the result I wish you luck! I can’t bear it any more, so refusing now to look at it!!
    Liz

• November 13, 2013 / 9:05 PM

It really would be a dream come true, yes. It would be the honeymoon we didn’t take in March, it would be the date nights we haven’t had since the girls were born five years ago (we have no babysitters) it would be the chance of a lifetime but I don’t need to tell you that as I’m sure it would be just the same for you too. x