Eating and Entertaining

Fabulous to be back in Jenny Matlock’sAlphabe Thursday on time for once and with an idea of an E very close to my heart – that of Eating and Entertaining. No eating disorders in this house if not for the constant dieting to compensate the constant eating, it’s a hard life folks.

It saddens me to hear of people with eating disorders as food and eating together has been a constant in my life since a was a babe in arms. My mother is The Best Cook Ever and although I will never reach her giddy heights I can produce some mean cooking when I put my mind to it. It’s a favourite pastime of mine and one that has been put to one side a little whilst I concentrate on the tiny people in our household. I want to make sure they have a healthy relationship when it comes to food, that they will try at least once most dishes and see eating as a happy way of socialising. Treats are just that right from the start, not to be had on demand throughout the day but to be savoured in special moments. Here are a couple of pictures of the girls learning that eating is fun

First off, a picture of last year’s Twin Club Christmas party with older twins smartly dressed up in Crimbo outfits looking Excellent

Twin Club Xmas party 09

This is where we start to learn about the importance of food in our life and the fact that food can be fun when eaten in company. Here’s another photo of a 4th birthday party to which the girls were invited, a fabulous spread that Eager parents (me) had to stop diving into, it was Extremely hard believe me.

Thomas’s 4th birthday party spread

A final family snap of probably my favourite meal in the whole year – Christmas Day lunch. I love to Entertain and have held Christmas Day family get togethers now for the past 5 or 6 years since I returned to the UK. A lot of thought and planning goes into the menu, we always have traditional Roast Turkey and ALL of the trimmings, we skip starters but Christmas pudding is a constant with brandy butter, cream or custard as everyone has their own special preference, mine is brandy butter, of course it is – the one with the most fat in it! I also prepare a massive spread for the evening where people can go and pick whatever they wish till they’re heart’s are content. Cheeseboard, ham, leftover turkey, crisps, nuts, and anything during my Christmas shop that catches my eye.

Christmas Day 09

From the oldest family member at 90 to the youngest at 1 and a half (in bed when this photo was taken) everyone is seated around a groaning table. Notice each and every chair in the house comes out for these occasions and of course no Christmas would be perfect without the paper hats, silly jokes and gifts from the traditional Christmas Cracker, you just gotta have ’em.

1. PJ
    October 21, 2010 / 10:02 AM

OMGosh, those shots of all the twins is so cute!!!!! And I love the crowns you all donned for your Christmas Day lunch!!

• October 21, 2010 / 2:09 PM

The paper crowns are tradition here in the UK, no table is complete without the Christmas Crackers which are pulled apart making a loud bang and the contents spilled on the table include a corny joke, a paper hat and a gadget/toy. Adds to the fun of Christmas day

2. JDaniel4's Mom
    October 21, 2010 / 10:50 AM

These are such wonderful celebrations! I love the birthday party shot.

• October 21, 2010 / 2:11 PM

It’s great isn’t it? All the parents trying to get good photos at the same time too!

3. Raw Thoughts And Feelings
    October 21, 2010 / 11:04 AM

You’re so right about eating habits, and children learn from what we taught them! Great E post!

• October 21, 2010 / 2:12 PM

Thank you, having said all that my oldest daughter, now 20 STILL won’t eat her veg, we’re still in a debate about it and she’s winning :)

4. October 21, 2010 / 11:13 AM

Oh my! What a grand Entertainment you did! SOOOO Many children. Wow. And doesn’t even look too chaotic!!

Maggy

• October 21, 2010 / 2:13 PM

There was more than one mum on hand and of course they were hungry which always helps to get them to sit still for long enough :)

5. Prity
    October 21, 2010 / 1:22 PM

Wonderfully captured!! Eating out or at home with family and friends is sooo much fun!

• October 21, 2010 / 2:13 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more, it’s one of my favourite pastimes

6. Cheryl
    October 21, 2010 / 1:55 PM

Great shots of the kids and the bigger kids too!

• October 21, 2010 / 2:20 PM

The ones with the silly hats, they’re just as much kids as the littluns :)

7. Paige
    October 21, 2010 / 3:01 PM

You look fun, fun, fun!! You had me at the title of this post, by the way.

“My mother is The Best Cook Ever and although I will never reach her giddy heights I can produce some mean cooking when I put my mind to it.” = ME. TOO.

• October 22, 2010 / 7:49 AM

Hey chef, maybe we should swop recipes? Love your photography too x

8. Judie
    October 21, 2010 / 5:34 PM

We love the Christmas crackers! And the hats, too! What a wonderful picture of your family Christmas dinner. And the food sounds yummy!

• October 22, 2010 / 7:49 AM

The table is never complete without Christmas Crackers and the children adore them

9. Rocky Mountain Woman
    October 21, 2010 / 5:55 PM

I don’t know what’s cuter, the kids or the parents taking pictures and smiling!

Love it…

• October 22, 2010 / 7:51 AM

Parents love these occasions too don’t they? A great chance to ‘show off’ your offspring and their (fingers crossed behind your back) impecable table manners :)

10. Judith
    October 21, 2010 / 6:08 PM

what a fabulous selection of photos and theme for the letter ‘E’. Christmas day meal is always cooked by hubby – mainly because we are down The Salvation Army hall providing Christmas day meals and he enjoys preparing, cooking and entertaining all who come all for the day. take care, Judith

• October 22, 2010 / 7:52 AM

That’s a very noble way to start your Christmas day, must leave you with an enormous feel good factor.
      I take it hubby cooks a mean turkey?

11. Su-sieee! Mac
    October 21, 2010 / 7:04 PM

What a wonderful way to teach young children about eating healthy in a social setting. It’s just so civil. Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences.
    Peace,
    Su-sieee! Mac
    This and That. Here and There. Now, Sometimes Then.

• October 22, 2010 / 7:55 AM

…they are sitting quietly as at both events there were bouncy castles which they played on for at least an hour exhausting themselves ready for food :)

12. October 21, 2010 / 6:26 PM

Eating and entertaining: two of my favorite things! (Well, the eating part, anyway…)

You are clearly a master of these!

=)

• October 22, 2010 / 7:53 AM

Not all of those tables were my doing…one was a very good friend’s and the twin club is a joint effort bt the fun is for everyone :)
      Thanks for coming by

13. October 22, 2010 / 3:54 AM

food is always fun when shared with friends and loved ones and happy celebrations!

• October 22, 2010 / 7:55 AM

I couldn’t agree more with you I just wish my midriff would get that concept too and allow me to indulge more often :)

14. October 22, 2010 / 1:21 PM

I love a good celebration, please can I come and join your next one!

• October 22, 2010 / 8:20 PM

You don’t want to ask twice my love, I’d have you here in a shot and I’d bend your ear till it falls off. You may live to regret such a request….. :)

15. Laura Lofgreen
    October 22, 2010 / 7:36 PM

Your darling post reminds me of a quote:
    There is vitality, a life force, energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action. And because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. The world will not have it.
    It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how valuable, nor how it compares to other expressions. It is your business to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that activate you.
    Keep the channel open.
    -Martha Graham

• October 22, 2010 / 8:18 PM

I don’t know if you have any idea of the enormity of the effect your beautiful comment had on me? I cannot thank you enough and I feel very special that you came by and passed on that particular quote to me. It’s a perfect example of serendipity. Things happening at the right time for the right reason.

16. Judie
    October 23, 2010 / 2:29 AM

Mari, send me your email address so I can forward 3 jpgs to you.

17. Francisca
    October 23, 2010 / 6:11 PM

Eating and Entertaining are an Excellent topic for Jenny’s E day!

• October 24, 2010 / 3:11 PM

Something close to my heart that’s for sure! :)

18. October 24, 2010 / 3:02 PM

Oh Mari. This is such a wonderful stop. All the photos were so rich with detail and fun! I looked at each one and felt like I was there.

Your descriptions of the food and festivities was really superb.

You did an amazing job of letting us come to the parties with you on this little stop on Alphabe-Thursday’s letter “E”.

Thank you!

A+

• October 24, 2010 / 3:12 PM

Thank you Jenny, it’s pleasure as always to have you come by x