DIY in the bathroom

I’t s D-Day over at Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe Thursday today and I have decided to use this letter to catch you up on my DIY shenanigans, the living room you have seen and although not yet quite finished as I’m still waiting for the mirror to arrive from mirrorworld (paid in full in August!) and a few other bits and pieces, we are nearly there. In fact I had only just put the paint pots away in the garage and cleaned out my brushes when I noticed the girls had added their special touch too, can you see their scribblings on the far wall? Little treasures

Our second project we’ve taken on is the upstairs family bathroom which on viewing looked like this – outdated, tired and in need of an injection of the 21st century.

In need of lurrve

Away with the dirty shower curtain, towel rail, wallpaper, tiles and bathroom suite minus the toilet which we’re keeping it now looks like this

Hard work done – now for the pretty bit

I have the tiles, grout, mosaic border I’m just missing my tiler Heath who phoned in last Friday to say he’d gone down with a bug, sickness and diarrhoea so I am praying he’ll be fit to work this Saturday and we can start to see a more finished bathroom. The bath you can see is  our brand new ‘P’ shaped bath and if you study the mirror (which I am not prying off the wall as I don’t want 7 years bad luck – Heath can do that!) you’ll see the pipe and electrical cable in place for the shower unit.

I haven’t decided on the floor yet, those tiles you see are already cracked as the floorboards move so it wouldn’t be worth putting down fresh tiles again only to see them crack too. I have been looking at Amticotiles but I’m going to wait until the bathroom is finished and then decide. I am hoping the cupboard above the toilet can be tiled to create a place where I can put up a couple of glass shelves and use as display, I will buy a floor cabinet to house all of the many products needed in the bathroom to keep them tidy and as the whole scheme is very neutral I have invested in purple towels to add a bit of life in there :)

Oh la la!

Just before you go, my other ‘d’ could have been Doughnuts

But that would just be unkind of me to put that thought in your mind – right?

1. ourprivateblog
    October 14, 2010 / 2:49 PM

My Leo loves Krispy Kremes – but they haven’t made it to Italy just yet!!!!

• October 14, 2010 / 3:27 PM

We must do something about that! I actually bought that box when Veronica came to stay back in July! She’s my Italian friend’s teenage daughter

2. Nic's Notebook
    October 14, 2010 / 3:48 PM

It’s a nightmare when you’re in the middle of getting a bathroom done, but it will be so worth it!! I have never tried Krispy Kremes -maybe a good thing, cos I love doughnuts!

• marianne whooley
      October 14, 2010 / 3:53 PM

We seem to be talking a lot about food recently you and I???? Off to the kitchen to look what’s for dinner :)

3. Rocky Mountain Woman
    October 14, 2010 / 4:04 PM

I’m not as kind as you, I did a whole post about donuts!

Love your redo pics….

• October 15, 2010 / 9:47 AM

I’m coming running to see your post the minute I have finished comments today ….. :D

4. October 14, 2010 / 3:14 PM

and Krispy Creme!! that is mean j/k :P I hope your bathroom reno turns out smashing . Take care

• October 14, 2010 / 3:32 PM

Thank you…and you know they’re no good for you! ..forget I ever mentioned it :D

5. victoria
    October 14, 2010 / 5:29 PM

Yes…by donuts are prettier than yours as you mentioned…
    but i’d give up all my beauties for one of those Krispy Kreme Raspberry filled babies………………YUM

• October 15, 2010 / 9:48 AM

They were delicious I must admit

6. Jingle
    October 14, 2010 / 6:06 PM

beautiful post.
    the last one is yummy…
    YEAH!
    way to go!

7. Leslie
    October 14, 2010 / 6:23 PM

Can’t wait to see how it turns out! Keep up the hard work, and Happy Alphabethursday!

• October 15, 2010 / 9:53 AM

Hopefully it’ll only be another couple of weeks, my workmen are full timers and work only at the weekends

8. JDaniel4's Mom
    October 14, 2010 / 6:23 PM

It is much better for me to see the doughnuts and not eat them.

• October 15, 2010 / 9:57 AM

Likewise and I only treat myself VERY occasionally otherwise I’d be ginormous

9. October 14, 2010 / 5:29 PM

no more donut posts!!! I swear I am gaining weight just drooling over them!!! cant wait to see the finished bathroom

• October 15, 2010 / 9:51 AM

It’s Ok it’s only a picture, I promise you won’t gain weight :)

10. Paige
    October 14, 2010 / 7:15 PM

I’ve given up sugar and have been craving a chocolate-covered creme-filled donut from Krispy Kreme. Now I hate you a little. But love your blog, so I forgive you.

Nice diy, too. Little distracted by the donuts, though.

• October 15, 2010 / 9:58 AM

DIY wil be nicer soon – I hope, sorry for tempting you back to sugar, it won’t happen again….soon x

11. brenda
    October 14, 2010 / 8:18 PM

As long as those donuts stay out of my reach I will be fine. That is the good thing about living so far out in the middle of no where, if all the blogger I read post tons of yumming foods I cannot jump in the car to fetch any unless I want to drive a hour.

• October 15, 2010 / 10:00 AM

Me too, for a good doughnut I have to get in the car and drive, park up, get the girls in the buggy and then walk round a mall, it doesn’t happen often but when it does we all know about it mmm

12. Judie
    October 14, 2010 / 9:01 PM

We ate Krispy Kremes when we were kids. They are sinfully delicious when they are hot. I stay away from them because I could easily eat a dozen by myself!!

• October 15, 2010 / 10:05 AM

Oh tell me about it! I have to be very strict with myself, same goes for any box of chocolates that get passed around. I have been known to hold the box for far too long and not pass on…..

13. Rivki @ Life in the Married Lane
    October 14, 2010 / 9:12 PM

Do tell about the P-shaped bath. What’s the shape for?
    Hope Heath is feeling better soon!

• October 15, 2010 / 10:10 AM

P shaped baths are for small bathrooms where there isn’t enough space to add a bath AND a separate shower. So you have a bath where one end is the P allowing much more room to shower rather than be stuck for room to move. Once the tiles are up there is a glass door to go on to prevent water splashing on the floor, I’ll photo the end product in a couple of weeks time. And Heath called last night and will be ehre Sunday morning at 8.30am, I am sooo pleased.
      We prefer showers to baths these days saving time and water but I use the bath to wash the girls and it’s always good, should you want to sell the house one day, to have a bath in the bathroom, hence the decision for a P shaped bath :)

• Rivki @ Life in the Married Lane
        October 17, 2010 / 7:40 PM

What a fantastic idea! Looking forward to the final product pictures.

14. October 14, 2010 / 8:21 PM

Okay, did you have to show the donuts at the end? Did you really HAVE to??

;)

• October 15, 2010 / 10:03 AM

Yes. I’m sorry but after all that hard work (I smashed off the tiles in the bathroom before writing that post) I needed a treat. And I was so proud of myself for completeing a job that had been troubling me..can I do it? Will I be able to do it? Will I make a real hash of it? it won’t happen again…much

15. Virginia
    October 15, 2010 / 5:28 AM

mmmmmmmm Donoughts…

16. October 18, 2010 / 11:58 PM

What a fun, but kinda/sorta cruel stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday’s letter “D”.

There we are wandering and wondering about your projects and then, BAM, you throw a picture of delicious donuts at us

This was a fun stop. I bet this will turn out wonderfully.

As for the donuts…well…hmphhh…we do have a Krispy Kreme a few miles from the house.

Bye now!

ha!

Thanks for linking.

A+

• October 19, 2010 / 12:18 PM

…all that hard work Jenny deserved a special treat at the end :)