Stormy weather

Thunderstorm arrives, power outage! How do you occupy your time?

This (power outage – or as we know it a power cut) hardly ever happens where we live now, which is a shame as it does add a little excitement and drama to an already powerful situation.

It wouldn’t bother me at all, I would read a book, flick through a magazine, play puzzles with the girls or some drawing. I’d do some needlework if the light was good enough, if not candles, so romantic.

I’d probably really want a cup of tea and would enjoy making one with a saucepan of water on the gas. Instead of my kettle which can rustle up a cuppa in no time.

I’d put a nice, comfy, woolly jumper on and warm socks and snuggle up close to a window so I could watch the storm light the sky up.

The best storms I have ever witnessed were in Folgaria. Living in the mountains is an invitation for weather to swirl, stop and get really angry with the world. The claps of thunder there were second to none shaking the foundations of the house along with every bone in my body and the lightening sounds as if it’s ripping the sky in half

Normally the electricty would go and if it was a way for too long I’d nip down to the hotel next door where there is a generator.

I have been caught in torrential rain that drenches you in minutes, through to the bone but at the same time is strangely exilharating, it makes you want to laugh at your poor condition, all of a sudden who cares if your hair is out of place and stuck to your forehead? You’re alive and full of energy.

When did you last get caught in a thunderstorm?

1. Princess L
    August 3, 2010 / 2:14 PM

Eek! I hate thunderstorms! I’m one of those wussy types who closes all the curtains and tries to drown out the sound!

• August 3, 2010 / 2:28 PM

You don’t know what you’re missing. I suggest you have a go at watching nature get angry, maybe in good company the first time :)

2. Alessandra
    August 3, 2010 / 3:00 PM

One of my most memorable thunderstorms was in Kathmandu, in Nepal, I was wandering around on my own, early evening and it was starting to get dark. I was becoming increasingly worried because I thought I knew where I was but didn’t and could find my way back to the ashram I was staying at…also, I didn’t have a street name, you see, as over there addresses are a vague concept and if you ask people for directions they send you all over the place because they do not like to admit that they don’t know either! All of a sudden the world went pitch black, the sky was the colour of lead, a wall of rain started falling from the sky and thunders were shaking everything. On cue, the power in the whole city was cut, making it even more dramatic and frankly a bit scary. It was the sign that the monsoon would soon begin and in a moment the street was quite flooded and I was throroughly soaked.
    The story ends well though as bit by bit I managed to calm down and I found my way again and got to the ashram, all lit by candles, and that really felt like home so strong was my relief!
    I normally enjoy those powerful displays that Nature puts on in the form of thunderstorms but less so nowadays that I’m in sole charge of a house and I worry about the fridge de-frosting if the power is cut, the roof leaking if the rain is too strong and all those things: oh dear! xx

• August 4, 2010 / 12:26 PM

I found the bit about the locals directions funny! rather than admit they didn’t know they’d send you on a wild goose chase – marvellous! I think I’d have been scared to though, nice to go home to a candle lit ashram…I do love candles

• Alessandra
        August 5, 2010 / 10:30 AM

It’s also considered impolite not to be helpful, so they try hard, bless them, with “disastrous” results! (:

3. ourprivateblog
    August 3, 2010 / 8:22 PM

My worst storm was in Pisa but my two boys have just enjoyed mega storms while camping with the scouts down near Arezzo – the tents were blown away, the tent poles were snapped in two, they slept in sleeping bags full of wateretc etc …..and they loved it!!!! (well maybe they didn’t but they sure love telling me about it now they are home!!)

• August 4, 2010 / 12:28 PM

Ha ha, boys and the survival instinct eh? It starts young and they never grow out of it.
      Sounds like a pretty bad storm though…not sure if I would have persevered with camping after poles snapping and tent flying away, there are some comforts I cannot give up!
      Maybe 20+ years ago though :)