Apples are so this time of year so to accompany my delicious Spiced Apple Cake I have now come up with a naughtier apple cake recipe –
Toffee Apple Upside Down Cake
- For the Toffee Apple Topping
- 100g light brown sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 apple cut into slices
- For the Apple Upside Down Cake
- 150 g butter, at room temperature
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 150 ml milk
- 400 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 apples coarsely grated
- 100 g walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ gas mark 4. Grease a 9? cake tin. Don’t use a spring tin as the toffee may seep out.
- Start with the toffee apple topping which goes on the bottom of the pan. Mix the brown sugar and butter in a saucepan and over medium-low heat; stir constantly until sugar is dissolved and the butter has melted. Remove from heat and pour mixture into the bottom of the cake tin. Arrange apple slices over the toffee mixture. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and brown sugar until mixture is smooth and blended. Gradually blend in the eggs and beat until pale and fluffy.
- In another bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture, stirring gently by hand until batter is combined. Add milk as needed to obtain a smooth batter mix.
- Stir in grated apples and walnuts. Pour batter over toffee apple topping in the cake tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. The cake is done when it is firm, and the top (which will become the bottom) turns golden brown. A toothpick inserted in center and near edges of cake should come out clean.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and allow to cool for approximately 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen sides of cake.
- Place serving plate over the top of the cake tin; holding the plate and cake tin firmly together, turn upside down so the serving plate is on the bottom and the cake tin is resting on top.
- Gently lift the cake tin off. At this point, the cake will be “upside down” with toffee apple showing.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature, with custard, cream or vanilla ice cream.
Toffee Apple Cake Recipe
TIP: I used a spring tin with a loose bottom DON’T my toffee seeped out first time round and made a right mess of the oven, the cake was still good but lacked a sticky topping, second time I used a 9″ round cake tin and it was much better ;)