Not everyone has hours to stand over a saucepan stirring a sauce to perfection these days and every Italian world over will tell you a ‘buon ragu‘ a good Bolognese sauce is made slowly and lovingly over a low heat for a couple of hours to allow all the flavours to mix and come together.
But we haven’t all got that time have we? So here is an equally delicious Bolognese sauce recipe that is simple, leaving very little washing up and makes enough to freeze more for a future meal
Bolognese Sauce for pasta
Ingredients – makes 1.5 litres1 onion chopped finely 1 clove garlic, crushed 1 tsp olive oil 1 can chopped tomatoes 1 carrot, grated 1 stock cube + 150 ml water 2 tbsp tomato puree 1 tsp mixed herbs 500g mince salt and pepper Equipment 1.5 litre (3 pint) casserole dish, pyrex dish.
1. Place the onion, garlic and oil in a glass dish, place on base of oven and cook on MEDIUM MICROWAVE for 3 minutes.
2. Place all other ingredients in the dish, stir well, cover with lid or clingfilm and cook on HIGH MICROWAVE for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from microwave, uncover and stir breaking up the large pieces of meat in the sauce.
4. Re-cover place in the microwave and cook on MEDIUM MICROWAVE for 15 – 20 minutes
Serve with pasta and sprinkled Parmesan cheese or other uses include
1. Lasagna Click to find a recipe on how to make lasagna
2. Jacket potato topping – Bake 1 potato in microwave on high micro for 7-8 mins
3. Stuffed peppers – slice a pepper in half, cut off the stalk, cut out the seeds and insides and fill with Bolognese sauce. Cook in the oven at 180C for 20 – 30 minutes until soft and cooked through.
4. Cottage pie – Here is a beef and barley cottage pie recipe I made earlier but use your Bolognese sauce and cover with mashed potato and follow the recipe for oven temperatures and timings
5. Chilli con carne – Add a 400g can of kidney beans, 1 – 2 tsps chilli powder and 1 diced pepper with the onion garlic and oil at the beginning. Serve with rice
6. Cannelloni substitute the ricotta and spinach in the recipe here for Bolognese sauce, once filled, cover the cannelloni with white sauce, top with grated parmesan and cook as in recipe
7. Minced beef pie – Following the popular Peppered steak recipe make individual pies in the pie maker or line a pie dish with shortcrust pastry (ready to roll) Prick and bake blind for 15 mins at 180C, fill with Bolognese sauce and cover with pastry before returning to the oven and baking until the pastry is crisp and golden.
8. Enchiladas – add 2 tsps chilli pepper sauce to the Bolognese sauce and spoon into the enchilada, wrap over and place in an oven proof dish. Top with grated cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve with lettuce and sour cream.
9. Soup – add beef stock to the Bolognese until a soup consistency is obtained, serve with crusty ciabatta bread.
10. Pasticcio – cook some short pasta, drain and add the Bolognese sauce, stir well and place in a buttered pyrex dish. Grate some cheese and dot some mozzarella over the top and bake for about 30 minutes in the oven at 180C cut into portions and serve with salad
11. Pancakes – Make your own or buy ready bought, add a spoonful of hot Bolognese sauce to the side and wrap, sprinkle with cheese and serve
12. Cobbler – Good old fashion savoury scones, find the recipe in the link, Place your Bolognese sauce in an oven proof dish and add the scones to the top bake in the oven until the scones are risen and fluffy. They should double in size.