What Mari did next …

sorry you're leaving

Just over two years ago I stepped into James Villas HQ as a social media executive and set to work on helping to develop the brand’s social channels. I was so excited to have been given the opportunity and I embraced it with open arms ready to get stuck into any task that was thrown my way.

It has been the most incredible journey where I have learnt so much!

Working as part of a team and having my copy proofed and checked has been a good wake up call, who knew I was so keen on long sentences? I have learnt to slow down, take my time and re-read my work. I hope you are starting to see these small changes coming through.

I have learnt to think more closely about images – do they reflect what I am saying?

I have learnt that social channels are fickle, we don’t own them ‘they’ do. Facebook might only show a tiny percentage of your followers your hard work, it’s incredibly frustrating and I can often be found ranting about Facebook…

I have also learnt that working full time alongside running a home, family and life outside of the office doors is a real struggle. My main challenge came with trying to cover the school holidays. The girls get 13 weeks off and I had 21 days. It was this, that led me to hand in my notice – something I never believed I would do. I had imagined working until my retirement at James.

When I was reflecting on my life and how to make it better I started to search for jobs that would compliment being a mum.

I needed a job that fits in with school holidays and school hours. That would allow me to take the girls to after school clubs without skidding out of one door and screeching into the next, red-faced and often having forgotten something or even worse – arriving at the wrong time.

I had always pushed teaching to one side as I didn’t think I’d be good at it but as I started to look more closely at the opportunities in local schools, I saw our local primary was looking for a TA. The more I thought about the job, read the role description, the more it became a very exciting prospect.

I applied for the job and was successful – I start work on Monday morning!

I am swapping the weekly business meetings for a classroom of 8 year olds.

I am exchanging my snatched half hour lunch to who knows? Playground duty, lunchtime clubs or getting to know the teachers in the staff room?

I shall be helping out with reading and maths, chatting about geography and science. I shall be doing all manner of tasks to assist the teacher and doing my bit to help these young fresh minds find their way.

I shall also be grabbing back a bit of time for me. I want to pick up my blogging, tidy my house, read a book, help Alice learn to sew, help Bessie learn to play the piano. I want to get back into cooking again, not just quickly pulling a meal together to feed the family.

I am also going to start the 0 – 5k challenge as I have managed to put a stone since working full time.

So many things to do but my heart is lighter and I think I’m on to something good here … what do you think?

1. November 4, 2017 / 7:11 PM

How very exciting Mari. You’ll do a fantastic job!
    Good luck for Monday

2. November 5, 2017 / 10:37 PM

How exciting! Wishing you loads of luck, and if you need any more info on autism or PDA, I’m here for any questions ????

• November 6, 2017 / 7:38 AM

Oh, that’s interesting Steph, thank you so much. Bring on day 1!

• November 6, 2017 / 7:39 AM

Thank you Chris, I’m really looking forward to it, a whole new world lies ahead.

3. November 6, 2017 / 9:12 AM

What an exciting change! I know several people who have jumped into the land of TA’s & they love it. Huge good luck wishes x

4. November 7, 2017 / 11:18 PM

You know I have had many jobs over the years, but by far the best I have ever had was the TA job I had at my children’s school in Bavaria, it was just absolutely brilliant. No two days were the same, and I am sure I gained a number of laughter lines there. I know you will love it, and I know you will be fabulous. Hope you had a great first day yesterday! xx

5. Andrew Dann
    November 8, 2017 / 11:09 AM

I used to work as a writer for several business-to-business magazines and was often picked up on my long sentences too. I honestly believe that it stems from the GCSE English system that was in place when I was in school. We were always told that ‘Examiners love long sentences!’, which they did, but in the real world it pays to be terse.

Good luck as a TA and with your future blogging – who knows? You may influence the bloggers of the future…

6. November 12, 2017 / 3:25 PM

Good move Marianne . It’s important to be able to spend time with your girls during school holidays ! 8 year olds are the age of discovery I know you will enjoy class room lessons with them and they with you .

7. November 12, 2017 / 3:33 PM

Good move Marianne . It’s important to be able to spend school holidays with Alice and Bessie. 8 year olds are the age of discovery , I know you will enjoy the classroom lessons with them and so will they with you .

8. November 17, 2017 / 10:25 PM

Good luck on your new adventure and hope you enjoy your new good. Lots of love x