Things To Do In Suffolk

beach hut southwold

We recently had a weekend away to Suffolk and stayed the night in an Airstream glamping campsite which was a fantastic experience. We managed to get out and about and it quickly became apparent that there is a lot to see and do in Suffolk, so much so that we plan on returning as soon as we can. Whilst we were there, we picked up some great leaflets giving ideas of things to do in Suffolk so I thought I’d write them all down in preparation for our next trip.

Things to do in Suffolk

Aldeburgh

Aldeburgh shell on beach

We stopped off at Aldeburgh and walked along the beach as a swimming race was taking place. There is a fabulous sculpture of a scallop shell on the beach made by Maggi Hamblings with the words, ‘I hear those voices that will not be drowned.’

Apparently, there are two fish and chip shops in Aldeburgh both owned by the same company but everyone seems to think that one is better than the other. You can tell which because of the queue waiting outside the shop. We have to return as we didn’t manage to try the famous fish and chips.

Helmingham Hall

Helmingham Hall is a beautiful manor house surrounded by a moat dating back to 1490. It is still owned by the same family, the Tollemache’s and Lady Xa Tollemache is a renowned gardener having won many medals at the Chelsea Flower Show, in fact, people come here to visit the gardens as much as they do the historical building.

Framlingham Castle

Famous for being the base from which Mary Tudor rallied her troops and set off to claim the throne in London. Framlingham Castle is part of the English Heritage and offers a great family day out. Walk the walls, visit the workshop, the cafe and of course the shop plus picking up a lot of history on your way. It is said that a walk around the walls of the castle offers some of the best views to be had in Suffolk.

Thorpness

house in the clouds

We visited and walked around the quiet seaside village. We walked as far as The House in the Clouds, a famous building for its tall structure and seemingly house in the sky. Opposite was an old windmill that featured in the CBeebies programme, Grandpa in my pocket. We walked around the pretty boating lake but it was too cold a day for us to take a boat out so we popped into the restaurant The Kitchen and enjoyed some freshly made pizzas and a crab salad.

Southwold

under southwold pier

I was quite excited about going to Southwold as I had heard lots about it. We parked up at the pier and walked Baxter along to the end. It’s amazing as there are so many curiosities and shops to visit. The Quantum telescope, The Waterclock and the Wacky Walk of Mirrors being a few. The Under The Pier show is a must, an arcade about half way along which has some completely mad machines.

southwold pier

Lavenham

Known as England’s best kept medieval village, Lavenham is chocolate-box pretty with half-timbered merchant’s houses, winding streets, a 15th century church and a long list of listed buildings including the 800 year old Swan Hotel. Lavenham’s more recent claim to fame is being the village where Harry Potter was born. Lavenham was used as Godric’s Hollow in the filming of The Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Part 2.

Visit a brewery

Of course! Suffolk is the home to Greene King, Adnams and Aspall plus a range of smaller breweries too. the most picturesque possibly being St Peter’s Brewery in South Elmham. I have to go back just to buy some Adnams gin.

The list of things to do in Suffolk is infinite and one place to look for more inspiration is on the Visit Suffolk website where they give a list of 50 things to do in Suffolk!

Where to stay in Suffolk

There is a wonderful range of places to stay in the county, take a look at Suffolk Secrets who have all kinds of accommodation from contemporary through to rustic cottages and many of the properties are pet-friendly too. Whether it’s a couples retreat or a big family reunion there is something for everyone.

This is a collaborative post.

Things to do in suffolk pin

1. October 9, 2017 / 9:25 PM

Love that sculpture. Such a useful list for whilst we are in this part of the world… I will give you a shout if we are near your neck of the woods and we should all meet at the beach for Fish and Chips! :D x

• October 12, 2017 / 5:19 PM

I would love that Emma! I can’t wait to return to this part of the UK, there is so much more to discover.

2. October 12, 2017 / 3:55 PM

oh Mari this post is beautiful. I used to spend the weekends in Suffolk when I was nannying in Essex as my friend had a house there and I used to run away for the weekend to stay with her in Southwold. It is a beautiful part of England and seems to still be relatively unspoiled. This has really made me want to visit next spring.

• October 12, 2017 / 5:22 PM

There are the most wonderful cottages to stay in and Adnams make gin!!! Need I say more T? I hope you get to visit next Spring.

3. October 12, 2017 / 4:58 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever really spent any time in Suffolk but I should make more of an effort. Those photos have me wanting to visist!

• October 12, 2017 / 5:23 PM

I can really recommend it as a beautiful part of the world. You definitely won’t get bored, that’s for sure!

4. October 12, 2017 / 6:43 PM

I love your photos – it seems like a gorgeous area of the country x x

• October 17, 2017 / 4:58 PM

Thank you Cass. I hope you get there one day too.

5. October 12, 2017 / 9:13 PM

I can’t say we have really explored Suffolk so thanks for all these great ideas. We have an English Heritage membership to use too.

• October 17, 2017 / 4:59 PM

You could make good use of your English Heritage membership in Suffolk!

6. October 12, 2017 / 10:28 PM

I’ve been to Aldeburgh once and it is so unique I must go back. I’ve seen the House in the Clouds from a distance but not been and explored enough. It’s easy for us to get to so I’ve got no excuses! You’ve reminded me that I want to visit Lavenham too. Lots of great ideas, thank you.

• October 17, 2017 / 5:00 PM

Lavenham is high up on my list for my next trip to Suffolk too.

7. October 13, 2017 / 9:18 PM

Never been – but I’m bookmarking this post so that when we get a chance we’ll know where to go. The kids would LOVE to visit a place that’s featured on Grandpa in my Pocket!

• October 17, 2017 / 5:01 PM

It’s a huge hit with the kids and then you can go and practise some pebble skimming on the sea afterwards.

8. October 13, 2017 / 11:36 PM

Suffolk isn’t an area I now at all and I’d love to visit. We explored Norfolk this year and loved it, so maybe this could be next on the hit list. We do love a good old fashioned pier! Mich x

9. October 17, 2017 / 5:01 PM

Thank goodness for piers Mich and the Southwold pier is delightful. I hope you get there soon.

10. November 7, 2017 / 7:05 AM

Thank you for sharing about Sufflock, I have never visited it but because of you, i got a good idea on how to start exploring. I must say you have explored a lot of it. I can plan a travel now, especially the sculptures and beautiful pictures. A perfect new year trip i must say. Thank you