Memories of Christmas past

Christmas day 2012

It’s that time of year when I start getting prepared for Christmas. I am buying in Christmas cards to write to family and friends, advent calendars to be ready for the 1st of the month. I have cupboards with bags stashed in them hiding away the gifts I have found so far and lists of others I still need to get hold of.

I baked my Christmas cake last week, it’s sitting in a tupperware box soaking up some delicious Vecchia Romagna brandy from Italy courtesy of Ciao Gusto and I am looking forward to ‘feeding’ it again this Sunday.

With about 4 weeks to go, my life is going to go from hectic to chaotic until I reach Christmas Eve and finally, finally I’ll be able to sit down on my sofa with something alcoholic in my hand and enjoy the moment.

It’s at times like this when I remember past Christmases and our family sofa stories. My brothers regularly fall asleep on it after lunch whilst chaos reigns around them, kids playing, new toys being unwrapped, television on and they sleep soundly through the noise until tea time.

preparing cooking and carving the perfect christmas dinner

I can picture my lovely nan sitting there and saying, ‘I’ve never seen so many toys in my life!’ She has because she says it every year but in all due respect, I can see how Christmas of today is very different from her family Christmas as a young girl when they were most likely to receive one gift. There weren’t lists of products from the Argos catalogue handed around back then!

One of the funniest Christmas memories I have is when my lovely dad was still with us. I had moved in with Paul but had only been back in the UK a year or so. It was the year dad came to us to spend Christmas and my brother joined us too.

We had the turkey and all of the trimmings, the cupboards were over stocked with festive food and booze and we were ready to spend some quality time together as a family. My brother was in charge of the entertainment and he told us he had a really good DVD for us to watch, he’d been saving it to watch it together on Christmas Day.

Baxter with dog toys

How lovely of him.

We tucked in to our Christmas meal, pulled our crackers, read the jokes and lifted our glasses, happy to be together again. It was lovely having dad with us and such a pleasure to see him enjoying himself too.

Once the table was cleared and cups of teas made, we settled on the sofa ready to watch the DVD. That was the moment we discovered it was called 28 days. Brother gaily announced it was a film about the world being destroyed by an incurable virus and only a handful of survivors left who would try to find sanctuary.

Fun!

He was excited as it was a Danny Boyle film and had received a lot of attention by the press and film critics.

We sat down to watch and, well let’s say it wasn’t really Christmas Day viewing. Brother loved it. Dad, Paul and I looked at each other bemused and poured another drink, after all it was Christmas and the day of indulgence.

It goes without saying that brother still hears about that film choice year after year and we’ll most likely bring it up again this Christmas Day much to his delight.

Disclosure: This post is in conjunction with DFS but all thoughts are my own Visit their website to find out more about their great range of DFS Sofas

Share:

1. December 5, 2016 / 6:54 PM

Haha – perhaps don’t let your brother choose this year’s movie!Sounds like a happy memory anyway. Once December arrives you know Christmas day will be here in a blink with so much going on! x

• December 5, 2016 / 9:37 PM

He doesn’t get a look in now Louise :) The kids rule the TV on Christmas day!

2. December 5, 2016 / 9:23 PM

I have never heard of that movie! I love hearing about people’s memories of Christmas, for us it was always the TV on Christmas Day and I still enjoy some festive viewing in between unboxing toys and cooking endless plates of food.

• December 5, 2016 / 9:37 PM

We enjoy a lazy day on Christmas Day indulging and playing with new gifts plus a classic Christmas film or two depends what’s on the Tv really.

3. December 5, 2016 / 10:12 PM

What lovely Christmas stories. I always love remembering Christmas past when my mum and nan were around. We don’t do a movie on Christmas day we save that for New Years Eve and it’s usually a classic like Sean of the Dead, so we probably would have been happy with your brother’s choice.

4. December 5, 2016 / 10:54 PM

Not sure I have come across that film! Definitely doesn’t sound like Christmas viewing! I am guessing he doesn’t get to choose now haha!

5. December 6, 2016 / 7:30 AM

I had to laugh at the DVD choice! It’s not obligatory to watch a very Christmassy film, but you definitely want to watch something family friendly and cheerful!
    My Grandma used to say exactly the same as your Nan. I bet everyone’s grandmas did too!

6. December 6, 2016 / 10:40 AM

Ha ha ha about the film choice! I love remembering the Christmases that we had as a family. We used to spend them with my Aunt and her family growing up

7. December 6, 2016 / 10:50 AM

A lovely looks at some Christmas memories and a suspect Christmas day choice of dvd!

8. December 6, 2016 / 12:27 PM

So many lovely memories – just the way Christmas should be.
    I hope you make lots more this year x

9. December 7, 2016 / 12:15 AM

I do love being able to be really lazy over Christmas though and some movies are definitely in order. Mich x

10. December 7, 2016 / 7:51 AM

Ha! Yes I can imagine that it’s not the greatest film for Christmas day!

11. December 7, 2016 / 1:17 PM

Haha sounds like a perfect Christmas day movie ;)

12. December 10, 2016 / 12:55 PM

Choosing films for everyone is such hard work, but definitely don’t give him that job again!! Please have a piece of Christmas cake for me, as we move on the 27th, I haven’t made one this year, and I am already regretting that decision!! :D