Did you know that Real Bread Week has just passed us by? Who doesn’t love a freshly made loaf of bread? They even tell you to make some if you’re trying to sell your house!
We have been having so much fun in the kitchen recently because, to celebrate Real Bread Week, Sage sent us a Custom Loaf Pro breadmaker to see if we could come up with a novel recipe to make in it.
Intrigued by the recipe book ‘Flour power’ that Heston has put together and is full of really cool bread ideas, I noticed we could also make pizza dough in it so I declared Saturday night Pizza Party night and rolled out a piece of dough made in our Custom Loaf Pro for each member of the family, I set out lots of bowls with different toppings and let them create their own pizzas.
It was a huge success and the pizzas were delicious too. It was such a success that we shall definitely be doing this again sometime soon.
Bacon and sun dried tomato bread
As I mentioned, Heston has come up with loads of really fantastic ideas in the Flour Power book so I needed to adapt one or come up with something entirely different. Having just returned from a quick trip to Sorrento in Italy, a country that is renowned for it’s delicious breads, I was inspired by a bread bought to our table that had tiny bits of ham and crushed walnuts in it. I also had my eye on Heston’s sun dried tomato bread. I decided to go with sun dried tomatoes, tiny cubes of bacon and some dried herbs too.
It worked really well. I am pleased with how the breadmaker adds the extras at the right time and then mixes it in such a way that the extra ingredients are well distributed amongst the dough. I chose the biggest size – 1.25k and the loaf has kept dad in sandwiches all week for work. We all had a Sunday night supper of bread with cream cheese and a platter of salamis and cheeses to choose from too.
- Makes a 1.25k loaf
- Water 420ml
- Oil from the sun dried tomatoes - 3 tbs
- Salt 2 tsp
- Sugar 2 tbs
- Bread Flour 750g
- Bread improver (optional) 1 tsp
- Milk powder 3 tbs
- Dried mixed herbs 3 tsp
- Yeast: dry active 1+ ¾ tsp
- Sun dried tomatoes and bacon lardons 75g to be added to the automatic fruit and nut dispenser
- It's very important to add the ingredients in the order they are written above.
- Make sure the paddle is in the upright position to start.
- Add all of the ingredients to the removable bread pan.
- Place the bread pan in the Custom Loaf Pro and shut the lid.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes to the automatic draw.
- Set to Basic setting.
- Choose your colour of crust