West Bay Dorset | Time Traveller | 2008

West Bay Dorset

Having lived for Italy for 20 years and practically spent the first 20 years of my adulthood there, the return to Great Britain opened up a brand new exciting area to travel and discover for me. I quickly realised that our island is beautiful and very diverse and although we all complain about the weather, we really cannot complain about having nothing to do or see.

Pregnant twin bump 7 months

In 2008 I was heavily pregnant with the twins, I could walk but it was an enormous effort. I was carrying a LOT of extra weight and I was tickled that my circumference was so big! A size 8 in my youth and lucky enough to be able to eat anything I wanted, when I wanted, I wasn’t used to being so huge. We wanted to take a short holiday whilst we still could and we decided upon West Bay in Dorset. It was early May and I was seven months pregnant.

seagull nest on roof

We stayed at the Parkdean West Bay resort near Bridport and over the past couple of years I have really enjoyed watching Broadchurch, the drama on ITV as I can see the places we visited, plus it was an excellent series. I am positive that blue house to the left in the image below is the one which Detective Inspector Alex Hardy lived. We also visited the big white place which was an excellent restaurant.

West Bay Dorset - boradchurch

Another reason I am writing about that trip is because we have decided to return there this year, we’ll be re-tracing the steps of Broadchurch and our first almost-family holiday, does it count if I was carrying the twins at the time?

West Bay Beach Dorset

West Bay is beautiful, the village is well kept, the beach is clean and the cliffs are a fascinating site dating back to prehistoric times which is pretty impressive.

Husband did walk to the top of the cliffs on a couple of occasions but I had to wait below, it was waddle, huff and puff or sit and read, I chose to sit and read.

west bay dorset boat rides

I did however love the stroll around the harbour and maybe this time I’d like to take the girls out on one of the boat trips out into the sea. I think it would be really enjoyable.

budleigh stapleton

We found West Bay the perfect place to set off and explore the surroundings from and we did venture out every day. I particularly liked Buddleigh Salterton for the red cliffs and stone beaches, shame the weather was foggy but you get the idea.

budleigh stapleton

We were also very impressed with Ladram Bay, discovered by chance. We found a great holiday resort there for caravans and also with statics for rent which we would love to try out sometime.

ladram Bay

I was particularly amused to discover a place on the coast called Beer. Obviously husband and I had to visit and it’s really quaint. I have a really cheesy photo of him by the town name which he wouldn’t thank me for posting so you’ll have to conjure that one up for yourselves.

Lyme Regis

Lyme Regis was as far as we ventured that time and it was quite a drive plus a lot of walking but I’m looking forward to going back and rediscovering it again this year. Beautiful shops and a great ice cream too are my memories of Lyme Regis.

Dorset west bay fish and chips

One other photo I have from back then is of the harbour and the fabulous take away area which was a really fun place to visit and eat plus I remember superb fish and chips.

Dorset

We also visited this place and I can’t remember the name! I know we drove high up and ate at a restaurant at the top. I also remember it was a very windy and cold day. I do want to go back here this year not only so I can discover the name but also because it is a fantastic view.

Time Traveller

If you have a travel post old or new that you’d like to share with #TimeTraveller this week please add it to the Linky below and I’ll be over for a good read.

TimeTravellers

Share:

1. July 3, 2015 / 10:58 AM

Lyme Regis is a beautiful place. We had a camping holiday along the coast from there a few years ago, but we didn’t make it to Beer. The kids really enjoyed visiting nearby Monkey World, I seem to remember. I’m sure you’ll have a fab time when you go back with your girls.

• July 6, 2015 / 9:01 PM

Thanks for the tip of Monkey World, I’ll make sure to check that one out and can’t wait to see Lyme Regis properly this time.

2. July 5, 2015 / 5:21 PM

I love Dorset. We went a couple of times last year and explored a lot of the same places you did when you went. One of my favourite places is Lyme Regis. It’s really hilly though isn’t it. No wonder you didn’t venture too far if you were carrying the girls. If you do go back, go to the Mill. You can have a tour of the old Mill and they’ve also got an amazing bakery, where they do a daily special served in a bowl made of bread. I also love all the quirky little shops in Lyme Regis. I hope we can go back to Dorset again this year, but holiday time is becoming very scarce.

Sally @ Life Loving

• July 14, 2015 / 5:41 PM

Thanks for the Mill tip – I’ve jotted it down and will go. I can’t wait to see Lyme Regis properly this time either. I know the feeling about holiday time, I’m already thinking ahead to 2016!

3. July 6, 2015 / 12:55 PM

We went out to dinner the night before our twins were born, the bump was so large that it knocked all the Crocker and glassware off the table as I sat down!

• July 14, 2015 / 5:41 PM

Ha ha! I couldn’t help but laugh at that. Those bumps were massive weren’t they?

4. July 6, 2015 / 12:55 PM

We went out to dinner the night before our twins were born, the bump was so large that it knocked all the crockery and glassware off the table as I sat down!

5. July 6, 2015 / 5:12 PM

That really does look beautiful – my dream is one day to live in Dorset

• July 14, 2015 / 5:42 PM

I can totally see why and I may second you on that one. The UK does have some wonderful seaside resorts to choose from, doesn’t it?

6. July 6, 2015 / 9:16 PM

I think Dorset is such a gorgeous area – so many different things to do – but we have never gone to Lyme Regis. It looks lovely though!

• July 14, 2015 / 5:43 PM

I’m so excited Sarah, we’re on countdown now and I’m looking at all the places I want to revisit again. Can’t wait!

7. July 7, 2015 / 2:06 PM

Your photos are stunning Mari – and look at you all pregnant!

My mum’s friend lived in Lyme for a while and I used to love going to stay with her, it’s such a beautiful part of our country.

• July 14, 2015 / 5:44 PM

Thanks Liz, I’m a great fan of your photos too. I shall be dragging the family to Lyme again if I get my way.

8. July 12, 2015 / 3:20 AM

we have friends in Lyme Regis and hubby is visiting them next weekend. The last time I was in West Bay was Sept 2013 and I was sitting on the beach wearing a light coat, and a scarf, while all around me were in swimsuits, for me it was cold at 21c having arrived from South Africa the day before…lol

• July 14, 2015 / 5:45 PM

Ha ha! I bet you got some odd looks too wearing a coat on the beach when it was ‘hot’ :)

9. July 12, 2015 / 3:20 AM