Miami beach | 2007

Miami beach hut

This is why I set up the Time Traveller linky it was to enable me to go back through my archives of photos and write a post about a place I had been to before I started blogging. I want to be able to remember that place, that time and by writing it here I can do just that.

miami beach date and temp

I’m taking you back to 2007, before I was even pregnant with twins. The year Paul and I ‘did’ Florida. We were on a coach tour that was pretty flexible in as much as, booked from the UK you had hotels and transfers reserved but you were able to use your time in each destination as you wished. We visited NASA, St Augustine’s and on the 3rd or 4th day we stopped off in Miami for an overnight stay.

Arriving mid afternoon we went for a stroll along the beach prom and I spotted these fabulous beach huts that are so typical to the area. They just make me smile and remind me of the colourful bagni in Rimini, Italy.

miami beach hut prurple

That evening we dined in a beach bar and drank beer with the locals, we had a lot of fun but you must remember to tip after every drink, we were being very British and saving it up for a big final tip but were quickly put right by other Brits who shared our table.

miami beach bar

The next morning after breakfast we checked out of the hotel as we were moving on to Key West our next destination, but first a stop off at Miami Beach.

miami beachfront hotels

I fell in love with Miami, I loved the art deco hotels lining the beach front. Each one different to the next but fitting in so beautifully as a whole.

miami colony hotel

I loved the cadillacs and other vintage cars strategically placed outside the hotels.

miami cadillac

Later on that day we were taken over to the port where there is a large shopping mall full of Miami t-shirts and other tourist merchandise, we enjoyed mooching around and people watching as they went about there daily activities. Is he teaching her? Is she teaching him? Have they just bought it and are trying to figure it out?

miami vice boat

We strolled around the port, watched a huge cruise ship come in and the passengers descend. We picked out our favourite yachts in the marina and decided which one we’d have if …

miami port

We ate our lunch at Hooters which is a scream. The girls are dressed in shorts, tees and trainers and the menu was very American. We had a fabulous time in there and our waitress was really lovely.

Miami hooters restaurant

Check out the message on the back of the waitress’s t-shirts :)

miami hooter waitress

Miami Beach PD car – it’s got to be done right? This is a proper holiday souvenir photo.

miami police car

Your turn to join in the #TimeTraveller Linky, I’m really excited to see what you are showcasing this week. I have loved travelling back in time to Miami and reliving the experience, I hope you did too.

All of the rules of Time Traveller can be found here, please don’t dump and run, take the time to read a few posts and leave a comment. It’s so much nicer when we all do that and here’s the pretty badge for you to display so others can come and read your posts too. I just need to get it resized now :)

TimeTravellers

1. Angela
    May 21, 2015 / 9:04 AM

Wow that looks amazing, I would love to go to Miami beach one day.

• May 21, 2015 / 9:01 PM

I’d love to go back and spend more time there, there was so much more to discover.

2. May 21, 2015 / 9:41 AM

Miami is somewhere I would love to visit, more because I loved CSI Miami and want to see if it is anyting like that x

• May 21, 2015 / 9:02 PM

I loved CSI Miami too and Miami Vice in it’s day was brilliant. Definitely a cool place to go to.

3. Abi - Angel Eden Blog
    May 21, 2015 / 9:53 AM

That looks like an amazing trip, I barely did any travelling before my twins were born, I’ll get to it when they’re older :)

• May 21, 2015 / 9:03 PM

Hi twin mum :)

It would be difficult to do Miami now with our girls, maybe when they’re a bit older and appreciate it more. Mind you they would LOVE the beach.

4. May 21, 2015 / 9:59 AM

Lol, I’ve got a photo of a cop car from a trip to Houston, TX in 1994 – it really is a classic American holiday photo!

• May 21, 2015 / 9:04 PM

Yay! I’m not the only one then :)
      Houston must have been a cool place to visit?

5. May 21, 2015 / 10:08 AM

I’ve never visited the East Coast, it’s not on my wish list, but I wouldn’t say no if I had the opportunity, one thing that stands out for me is how colourful Miami is in your photographs.

• May 21, 2015 / 9:06 PM

Considering they were taken in 2007 with a bog standard point and shoot I was really pleased with them I touched them up in Picmonkey a bit but on the whole they were good.

If you ever do try the East Coast then do go to Key West, it is so special.

• May 22, 2015 / 5:20 AM

the reason we visit the States is to see family who sadly live on the west coast, so unless someone offers me a free trip i doubt i’ll ever get there

6. May 21, 2015 / 11:17 AM

I have never visited Miami and now I have a 5-year old, think it will be a few more years until we do! But I love the architecture and the glorious sunshine! Lovely linky. I will have to have a think of one I can dig out for you too.

• May 21, 2015 / 9:07 PM

You must!
      I’m not sure whilst the girls are small I’d go bak to Miami but one day it would be nice to stay in one of those art deco buildings and stroll along the beach front. *sigh*

7. May 21, 2015 / 11:18 AM

oh my i would love to go to Miami it looks lovely x

• May 21, 2015 / 9:08 PM

The weather is definitely better than here but if you look at those photos it was cloudy when we visited :(

8. May 21, 2015 / 12:34 PM

That sounded like an amazing holiday, I always love photos of Miami and it is on my list of places to visit. I love the cadillacs, that is such a cool idea. Would you ever go back there?

• May 21, 2015 / 9:09 PM

I would go back yes, and I’d spend more time. I wanted to go into the city and visit the various quarters but we didn’t have the time so I have unfinished business with Miami.

9. May 21, 2015 / 1:43 PM

What wonderful memories. I’m impressed by your photos, it I looked back on my photos 7 years ago I’d die of shame!

• May 21, 2015 / 9:10 PM

Picmonkey helped me Liz. It’s amazing what you can do and of course they were digital and not scanned ;) BUT thanks all the same, compliment taken and appreciated.

10. May 21, 2015 / 1:56 PM

I’d really love to visit Miami, it looks great!! Thanks for sharing :-)

Helen x

11. May 21, 2015 / 2:27 PM

i dont think im the only one who means this when i say i would love to go to miami beach

• May 21, 2015 / 9:11 PM

Nope I think there are a lot of us who’d love to go including me as it feels such a long time ago now.

12. May 21, 2015 / 8:17 PM

I would love to go! I miss going abroad so much and here would be a dream with all the Art Deco buildings and the vintage cars. I do love American culture, really interests me and they seem to have a lot of fun.

• May 21, 2015 / 9:13 PM

It’s a really laid back, easy going place. T shirts and flip flops but dressed up for evenings. I love that life style. I could live there!

13. May 21, 2015 / 8:45 PM

Having a Mother in Law that lives in Florida, I have been to Miami a couple of times, and I LOVE it! Hooters is great for crab legs too! :D Great post Mari, thank you! :)

• May 21, 2015 / 9:14 PM

Damn I can’t remember what I ordered now but I did enjoy the Hooters experience, so different to anything I’d ever experienced at home. Lucky you getting to go so often. I hope to get back there one day.

14. May 21, 2015 / 8:50 PM

Wow is that all really true? Those pictures look like they are straight from a movie Mari. Love that one with the cadillac!

• May 21, 2015 / 9:15 PM

I would have loved to get in the cadillac Otilia and drive around in it. Wouldn’t that be fabulous?
      Thanks for your lovely comments about my photos xx

15. May 21, 2015 / 9:15 PM

I would love to visit Miami it seems like such a vibrant and eclectic place.

16. May 21, 2015 / 9:56 PM

I’ve not been to Miami but it looks great – not sure about the tights with those shorts though ;) Thanks for hosting x

17. May 22, 2015 / 12:16 AM

Ah the lovely colours! I have a good blogging friend in Miami and I would love to visit there one day, it oozes culture!

18. May 22, 2015 / 9:17 AM

I love this idea and I have plans to dig out my boxes of photos from the garage to get a few posts written up – I just need an extra couple of hours each day ;-)

19. May 22, 2015 / 9:59 AM

What a great flashback. You are really making me want to travel more.

20. May 22, 2015 / 10:38 AM

Such a good idea ot write up yoru old posts and lovley that you have a shot of the clock with the date as a reminder. I so want to visit more of America, it is s diverse. Mich x

21. May 22, 2015 / 11:01 AM

Such gorgeous colours and such great American images. Those flesh coloured tights are just too much!

22. May 22, 2015 / 12:47 PM

Ooh I love going to the USA, everything is so colourful there. I love your photos, especially the Art Deco hotel and the cadillac – so american! Love it :-) #timetraveller
    Sabrina x

23. May 22, 2015 / 9:27 PM

This sounds like an amazing trip. I love your pictures and really want to go to Florida even more now!

24. May 22, 2015 / 9:44 PM

What an amazing place I would love to go to Miami

25. I love this idea of looking back and Miami is such a glamorous place! I went to the boat show when I was in Fort Lauderdale and have never forgotten it – it’s a whole other world! X

26. May 22, 2015 / 10:32 PM

what a great idea, I would love to see more of Miami xx
    great linky

27. May 23, 2015 / 2:55 PM

ooh, a pre-twins holiday! Very different from now…….sounds a lovely holiday. We have never made it to Miami, but I would like to, one day…..

28. May 23, 2015 / 7:59 PM

Oh wow – Miami looks amazing and so colourful, would love to visit one day! Thank you so much for linking up with the Linked linky! :) Sim x

29. May 23, 2015 / 10:08 PM

Fab Mari I love it, we are spending 2 days on the Florida coast in August and still haven’t decided where. I love the USA so much to see and so diverse. I love your photos it has made me so excited, we just need to decide where to stay x

30. May 23, 2015 / 10:39 PM

I really want to go to Miami. Tipping after every drink though? That can really add up! Love your photos, makes me want to visit even more!

31. Suze The Luxury Columnist
    May 23, 2015 / 11:29 PM

I love this idea of a Time Traveller linky, I have lots of things to write about on my blog from before I started blogging. We had our honeymoon in Miami/Palm Beach so this brought back great memories

Suze | LuxuryColumnist

32. May 24, 2015 / 12:01 AM

WOW Mari what an utterly amazing place to have visited! .. i so need to get my adventurer gear on!

33. May 26, 2015 / 9:25 AM

LOVE those art deco buildings! Sounds like a fab trip, we have plans for a bit of an adult only US trip next year for OHs 50th, but will only have a few days so need to choose one place and stick to it sadly – NY looks most likely!

34. May 26, 2015 / 9:16 PM

wow such stunning photos I love these kind of posts make me see what I am missing from the world lol

35. Kate Limburn
    May 27, 2015 / 9:37 AM

Think the closest I have ever been to Miami is the inside of its airport! Thanks for enlightening me about the reasons next time I really ought to take trip outside too. I’m not sure I’d get my head round the tipping thing very easily either – still the most awkward bit about travelling for me. Great photos – looks like a fantastic adventure. Lovely idea for a linky by the way -thanks!

36. May 27, 2015 / 9:40 PM

Ah great photos. I love Miami. I was there is 2003! Gosh, a very long time ago now, eek. Fantastic linky. I’ll be joining up :)

37. June 11, 2015 / 9:59 PM

Miami looks amazing. We have never been. I have been to Orlando three times, but never Miami. Great photos. Kaz x