Cabo de Palos, Mar Menor – Costa Calida

cabo de palos marina fishermen

At the bottom of La Manga Strip there is a small stretch of land that juts out into the Mediterranean sea, this is Cabo de Palos. It was one of the first places we visited on our trip to La Manga Club Resort at Easter and also the last where we enjoyed a delicious paella della casa at Restaurante Miramar and you certainly do get a magical view of the sea along with excellent food.

cabo de palos sand beach

The first time we visited the weather was very grey and incredibly windy with gusts up to 40mph but we were too curious to stay inside so we jumped into our hire car and hit the road for about 15 minutes from our villa.

cabo de palos marina

There is a fabulous market at the beginning of the town on Sunday morning selling fruit, vegetables, clothes and shoes but we didn’t stop to see as our fridge was full from the superior welcome pack that James Villa Holidays had kindly given us. We turned into the village and parked up around the marina. Our walk led us towards the sea and along the row of cafes, bars, restaurants and souvenir shops in the ’embracing wind’. Our mission was to walk to the lighthouse on the tip but we soon realised we were taking the long way around.

Costa Calida spain - Cabo de palos

We crossed through the town to the other side of the mini peninsula and discovered a sandy beach stretching way into the distance as the Manga Strip disappeared on the horizon. I vowed to return on a clearer day for a better shot.

cabo de palos lighthouse

The walk to the lighthouse is a pleasant one, even if it’s a very windy day and we soon reached the building  after a short climb up.

cabo de palos view of La Manga strip

We were all disappointed that you can’t enter the lighthouse and climb to the top but even from the base there are spectacular views.

cabo de palos lighthouse

Love this close up of the front door with the cat :)

cabo de palos lighthouse

We walked back to the village and I must praise the girls for so much walking. As they started to get tired we found a small park and let them play for a while before moving on. It never ceases to amaze me that playing in a park will actually revive them. I was interested to see lots of property up for sale and checking online later there are some excellent bargains, Paul got quite excited during our stay out there choosing his ‘retirement home.’

cabo de palos marina

On our first visit we chose Restaurante El Faro for lunch, they have a wonderful menu but it was Sunday, our first day and we wanted tapas. We asked the waiter and left it to the kitchen to decide.

cabo de palos restaurante el faro

They brought out one dish at a time for us to share and it was great as the girls tried too deciding what they liked and what they didn’t. The 6th and final plate of calamari really was just too much but we all gave it our best shot. An excellent meal  in the closed porch whilst it rained outside.

cabo de palos restaurante El Faro

After lunch, as the weather was so bad, we decided to drive up La Manga Strip but I’ll tell you about that another time.

After a week of exploring the Costa Calida on our last day we decided to return to Cabo de Palos for our Last Supper.

cabo de palos restaurante miramar

This time we chose Restaurante Miramar on the corner of the marina. Our table was in the window as the sunset over the far side. It was hot and we had to ask the waiter to drop the sun blind outside, after such a bad week I didn’t dare shut the sun out completely!

family photo in Spain La Manga Club Resort

The menu was full of fresh fish which I love and other delicious dishes but Paul and I went for the paella de la casa and that was really, really good, so good the girls kept asking to taste more rather than eat their own choice of food!

And so our holiday started and ended in Cabo de Palos, I would definitely go back to this place and explore some more, lots of the shops, bars and restaurants were closed but I am told the place is buzzing in the summer, it must be a lot of fun.

Find out more on the Costa Calida and where we visited here

La Manga Strip

La Manga Club Resort

Los Alcazares and San Pedro del Pinatar

Cartagena

Time Traveller: The Travel Bloggers Linky

We’re on our 5th week now of the Time Traveller and I am really enjoying being transported all over the world with all the fabulous posts linking up, thank you. I have had a brand new badge made with code underneath by the lovely Stacey Corrin making it very easy to grab.

If you are new to Time Traveller it’s a Linky where you can share your travel posts, both old and new. If you have been somewhere recently, tell us about it and if you haven’t share an old post, a favourite from the archives. You could even write about places you visited before you started blogging, scan the photos, re write and relive the experience, tell us all about it.

The rules are very simple

• Your post must be travel related.
  • It can be a day out, a weekend away or a longer break.
  • You can use posts from your archives or write something new.
  • This Linky is about sharing, please don’t dump a link and run. Read some posts, leave a comment on them. I aim to visit everyone who links up, be patient as I will fit my comments around my family and work.
  • Please leave a comment on this post and I would love you to display the Time Traveller badge but it’s not essential.
TimeTravellers

1. May 14, 2015 / 12:18 PM

I’m glad that you all had a lovely time, despite the weather. Cabo de Palos sounds like an interesting place to explore – especially that lovely fish restaurant.

• May 14, 2015 / 9:52 PM

I think we only scratched the surface with this area and I am sure it would be very different in high season.

2. May 14, 2015 / 12:22 PM

some of the best meals I’ve had whilst travelling have been when we’ve stumbled across somewhere and asked them to recommend our dinner

• May 14, 2015 / 9:53 PM

3. May 14, 2015 / 1:29 PM

Cabo de Palos looks beautiful. I would love to take my children abroad when they are a little older as I dont think my 3 year old could handle the heat and we need to go within school holidays (oldest is 5) x

• May 14, 2015 / 9:54 PM

Easter was a good option or May half term I guess. If we hadn’t had the mad winds it wold have been really warm but not over hot.

4. May 14, 2015 / 1:48 PM

wow what a beautiful place, i love anywhere there is a lighthouse and marine x

• May 14, 2015 / 9:56 PM

It was delicious, trust me but the views, the ambience, the life. All is good in Cabo de Palos.

5. May 14, 2015 / 3:28 PM

What a shame the weather was so bad for you but glad to hear you had fun anyway. Thanks for hosting this linky, it’s my first time here!

• May 14, 2015 / 9:57 PM

Nice to have you Lou. I think every time you go abroad you have to be prepared for all weather as you can get a bad week.
      From this trip I have learnt to always pack for bad weather as much as I don’t want to, you just never know.

6. May 14, 2015 / 3:29 PM

I have to admit, I haven’t really explored Spain a lot but this place looks lovely. I love marinas, and sitting people watching eating nice meals!

• May 14, 2015 / 10:03 PM

I adore people watching, if it wasn’t considered rude I’d take hundreds of photos of people but you can’t, you’d get into trouble. I saw a fabulous guy on a market stall, would have made the best photo but I am no paparazzi so you’ll have to imagine him….
      Dark, long hair, gold tooth, cheeky glint in his eye and around 50 but looking good. I so wish I had taken a snap.

7. May 14, 2015 / 3:58 PM

I see what you mean about the weather now, but it does look like it made you go out and explore because the pool didn’t look so attractive.

• May 14, 2015 / 10:05 PM

Ah that pool in the summer would be the best, I doubt we’d have got out so much at all.

8. May 14, 2015 / 9:57 PM

What a lovely place to visit, lovely photos of the place.

9. May 14, 2015 / 10:17 PM

We haven’t been abroad in years so I do love looking at holiday posts. Anywhere with boats and beautiful food makes me feel all excited for getting back out to the Med some day. I must join in with the linky!

10. May 14, 2015 / 10:23 PM

It looks like a beautiful place, it’s a shame you couldn’t go up the lighthouse though, especially after all that walking in the wind. The food sounds great but I’d have to draw the line at calamari too.

11. May 14, 2015 / 10:35 PM

Looks great fun, and that restaurant sounds fab – and I think every lighthouse needs a cat ;) Thanks for hosting x

12. May 15, 2015 / 6:52 AM

I think when we visited it was April too and the weather was awful, I think it would be nice to go back and see how beautiful it is in the summer

13. May 15, 2015 / 8:29 AM

It’s not nice when the weather doesn’t play ball, but so glad that you had a great time despite the weather – and that’s the most important thing! What a lovely place to visit. I’ve never been to mainland Spain, and really should make moves to go there one day x

14. May 15, 2015 / 9:19 AM

THat looks gorgeous – I prefer the weather like that as my two are so fair skinned they burn really easily so I find weather like that more relaxing as I’m not running around after them with factor 50 ;-)

15. May 15, 2015 / 10:44 AM

What a gorgeous place, even on a blustery day! Love the sound of a decent paella too, yum! :)

16. May 15, 2015 / 6:03 PM

what gorgeous gorgeous views I’d never tire of that view

17. May 15, 2015 / 6:09 PM

Thanks for hosting. I love reading all about where everyone has been and getting new inspiration.

18. May 15, 2015 / 7:34 PM

Its such a shame the weather wasn’t fab, but sometimes its just great to get away. Although La Manga look lovely, I bet it was lovely when the sun came out x

19. May 15, 2015 / 10:32 PM

This looks like a really beautiful place to visit. The restaurant sounds gorgeous, it’s great to try out many different types of food.

20. May 16, 2015 / 2:40 PM

I’m also sorry about the weather, but it sounds like you really made the most of it and also that it’s a place with loads to do (and eat!)

21. May 16, 2015 / 2:53 PM

I love calamari – I’d have eaten that 6th plate for you! Such a shame about the weather, but another good thing about being abroad is getting to taste all the food. Dishes always taste different in another country, even if you eat them at home. Lots of gorgeous shots in this post – I’m with you in appreciation for the snap of the door.

22. May 16, 2015 / 5:38 PM

What a gorgeous looking place and I love the view from the little cafe, so interesting to watch the boats come and go. x

23. Michelle
    May 17, 2015 / 8:37 PM

What a gorgeous place! It looks like you had a great time xx

24. May 17, 2015 / 9:00 PM

wow Mari this looks like a really fab place! .. wow that lighthouse looks fantastic i have a thing about light houses :-)

25. May 17, 2015 / 9:10 PM

Looks like a beautiful place. A stunning spot to have stopped to grab a bite to eat!

26. May 18, 2015 / 10:36 AM

That beach looks beautiful. Great to get the waiter to choose the tapas – I love that way of eating with lots of smaller dishes to stay.

27. May 20, 2015 / 6:16 AM

It sounds like you all had a nice time in Cabo de Palos. The views certainly look stunning. The food sounds good too. I’ve never been to Spain, but we’re off there later this year and one of the things I’m most looking forward to is a proper Spanish paella.

28. May 21, 2015 / 11:13 PM

Looks and sounds like you had a beautiful time!

29. May 29, 2015 / 8:01 PM

This looks such a gorgeous place – and your photos are fab! Kaz x