La Manga Club resort | Costa Calida

Costa Calida spain - Cabo de palos

I’ll be honest, I had never heard of the Costa Calida before starting to prepare for our Easter holiday and judging by the lack of travel guides available I’d assume it is a well kept secret. Plus every time I mentioned La Manga Club resort my listener would say, ‘Ooohh, isn’t that where the footballers go to train?’ I didn’t know the answer but I was intrigued to find out.

La Manga Club Resort Spain

La Manga Club Resort is a small town with the difference of security gates at the entrance to check on who comes and who goes. There is a beautiful 5 star Hotel Principe Felipe with the golf course stretching out in front, there are villas of all shapes and sizes and apartments too. The resort has everything you will need during your stay, even a petrol station.

James Villa Holidays Las Higueras Spain

Our James Villa Holidays home for the week, situated in the community of Las Higueras, was just perfect, so beautiful it seemed as if it was ours with the right kitchen and the right beds and proper garden furniture. It really was a dream home and as I lay in bed reading on Monday morning I was amused to see the pool maintenance man pass by to turn the taps on to water the plants in the garden.

la manga club resort James villa holidays

In fact the garden was gorgeous and I took lots of photos, sharing them on my Instagram feed, in fact I shared LOTS on my instagram feed as everywhere I looked there was beauty, or something curious, or something very Spanish. Something that made me feel happy so I shared it.

la manga club resort James villa holidays

I will admit to ballsing up the packing as I had been expecting sunshine and warmth, so in to the suitcase went sandals, shorts, t shirts, flip flops, sun cream and summer dresses. I quickly discovered that 1 cardigan each and 1 pair of long trousers wouldn’t see us through the 50mph winds during our first few days. However it did calm down and we did get our dresses out as well.

la manga club resort james villa holidays

There was a lot to see in the area and on the windy days we jumped into our little hire car and explored…

Cabo de palos Spain James Villa holidays

Cabo de Palos, the nearby fishing town with a fabulous lighthouse that you can walk up to. We also had some wonderful meals in this town.

la manga strip Costa Calida spain

La Manga Strip which is a ‘sleeve’ of sand stretching out into the Mediterranean creating the lagoon of Mar Menor. It was massively built up in the 70’s and today is a strip of high rise apartment blocks and flats, at Easter as quiet and dead as a mouse but I hear in summertime a real traffic jam to get anywhere.

los alcazares Costa Calida

Los Alcazares and the long white beaches on the Mar Menor.

san pedro del pinatar

San Pedro del Pinatar famous for the salt marshes and the mud which has been used for thousands of years for the therapeutic and healing properties. I didn’t go in as it was so cold but I totally would have done.

Cartagena Spain

Cartagena the nearby port town stepped in Roman history. A fascinating place to visit but a good walk, we had moany girls by the end and bribed them with ice cream to get back to the car.

‘My legs won’t go an inch more mummy.’ – Alice aged 6.

Cartagena Spain

We found a park and they played for half an hour – no problem with the legs at all.

Last photo (for now) at a local town El Algar as it’s one of my favourites

Calle amor de Dios

I will be writing about the above in more detail as they were all so beautiful and I have so many photos but for now it’s time for Time Traveller, please link up one of your posts and join in the Travel Bloggers Linky. Please find all the Time Traveller details here

Disclosure: My family were kindly hosted at La Manga Club Resort in the villa mentioned by James Villa Holidays for the purpose of this post, all opinions are our own. See where we went exploring in the local area

La Manga Strip

Cabo de Palos

Los Alcazares and San Pedro del Pinatar

Cartagena

I leave you with a rare photo of me and the girls :)

1. April 30, 2015 / 7:47 AM

What a beautiful shot of you and the girls! Packing for this time of year can always be a gamble, can’t it. Still, it looks as though you had a good time – I hope you get a chance to go back and try those mud baths one (sunnier) day!

• April 30, 2015 / 6:29 PM

Thank you although I look at it and think DIET! In fact I returned and signed up to WW but my problem is I never have photos taken with the girls because I have such a bad impression of myself, so I decided to have more taken otherwise they will have none to look back on.

• April 30, 2015 / 8:05 PM

I have similar thoughts – I’m never happy with how I turn out in photos. But you look gorgeous. A cinched waist really suits your shape.

2. April 30, 2015 / 9:09 AM

we went there many moons ago when I was a teen and have to say it rained every day – looks like you had better luck with the weather – would love to revisit

• April 30, 2015 / 6:30 PM

We had five days of 50mph winds but the last two were sunny and bright. I can only imagine this place to be absolutely stunning on the perfect day.

3. April 30, 2015 / 10:05 AM

The Villa looks gorgeous, as does the pool! Just so sad that the sun didn’t shine for you a little more… Bet the food was amazing though! :) x

• April 30, 2015 / 6:32 PM

It was amazing and currently on my hips and stomach! I’m in ‘back off holiday’ diet mode now *sigh* However the good memories are still with me.

4. April 30, 2015 / 10:07 AM

Lovely photographs as always, and James Villas looks amazing. Wonderful to see such a nice picture of you and the girls at the end as well. xx

• April 30, 2015 / 6:33 PM

Thanks Helen, the villa was absolutely fantastic and the holiday was a huge family success, one to look back on for years to come.

5. April 30, 2015 / 12:01 PM

Looks like the perfect heady mix for a family holiday. Your James Villa looks perfect, I loved seeing your updates on IG!

• April 30, 2015 / 6:54 PM

Aw thanks Amanda for the comment about the IG as I never know if it’s too much but I try to share things I see and love. Cannot fault our James Villa holiday

6. April 30, 2015 / 12:02 PM

It sounds like you had a lovely time. My son would love to go to La Manga because of the football connection.

• April 30, 2015 / 6:55 PM

I know some other footie fans who would love to go but I must say there wasn’t a WAG in sight or footballer for that matter during our stay but lots of golfers. It was an amazing holiday

7. Chris
    April 30, 2015 / 12:14 PM

It looks lovely Mari and that pic of you and the girls is adorable (love your dress!). I’ve always fancied a villa holiday and this one looks particularly fab!

8. April 30, 2015 / 3:11 PM

Looks like you had a great time despite the weather. We stayed a little inland from here last year and absolutely loved it. We visited Cartenega on the way back to the airport and wish we’d had more time to explore.

• April 30, 2015 / 7:00 PM

Cartagena is a fascinating town isn’t it? I agree that there is so much more to see and the Roman sites we literally paused and moved on as time was so short. I’d go back too and take more time visiting.

9. April 30, 2015 / 3:27 PM

i had to laugh at the pool guy walking past the window to water the plants, it takes a bit of getting used to, strangers just popping into your garden

• April 30, 2015 / 7:01 PM

Especially when you’re still in bed and not expecting it! Mind you he was incredibly careful to turn his head away from the window, he obviously does this a lot and was very good at not invading our privacy. Top marks to him.

10. April 30, 2015 / 5:32 PM

I love how dramatic it looks there. The pool is so inviting too. Can’t wait to hear more!

• April 30, 2015 / 7:02 PM

Very wild area where they have literally carved a resort out of the dry arid rock. A fabulous place to visit.

11. April 30, 2015 / 8:06 PM

That sea looks so inviting *wades in*. Looks so beautiful, I have never stayed with James Villas but now we have the kids I may need to investigate this option.

• May 4, 2015 / 2:13 PM

They have a great selection of destinations and varied villas and apartments to choose from but the James Villa Holiday experience was one I will never forget and can’t wait to discover again.

12. April 30, 2015 / 8:40 PM

oh that looks absolutely like the most wonderful place for a break – so picturesque!

• May 4, 2015 / 2:14 PM

There was an awful lot to explore and we only scratched the surface, I’d go back to find out more.

13. April 30, 2015 / 8:51 PM

Loved seeing your instagrams – you really picked up on some gorgeous details. Loved seeing a pic of you. Loved the look of the villa and loved reading about your trip.

• May 4, 2015 / 2:15 PM

Thanks Penny, I’m glad you enjoyed the trip through the eyes of internet, I must admit to really enjoy sharing whilst away, especially on IG, it’s my favourite at the moment.

14. April 30, 2015 / 11:03 PM

Looks like a beautiful place. We’ve always fancied getting a villa to ourselves on holiday.

• May 4, 2015 / 2:15 PM

You must try it sometime, it’s almost as if you own the place for one short week, quite a magical feeling.

15. April 30, 2015 / 11:05 PM

Love that photo of you and the girls! Sounds like a great family place to stay – wish it had been a bit hotter for you though!

• May 4, 2015 / 2:16 PM

And we moan about the weather here Sarah! Never mind, we still had a fabulous time and I am so pleased to have a photo with the girls too!

16. May 1, 2015 / 7:19 AM

What a beautiful place to visit Mari! Adding to my list of places to visit :)

• May 4, 2015 / 2:17 PM

I love Spain and there is so much more to discover too. I’d really advise visiting one day.

17. May 1, 2015 / 7:28 AM

Stunning! ALl I knew about La Manga was the golf course. That villa looks amazing and I loved following your holiday on Twitter too, it looks like you all had a much deserved break.

• May 4, 2015 / 2:18 PM

Thanks Tanya, we had an amazing time. It was lovely to get away the four of us and spend time together.

18. May 1, 2015 / 2:00 PM

My first reaction was that of Premiership footballers but it looks way too nice for it just to be for them! Glad the weather improved and you were able to get your dresses out :) thanks for hosting #timetraveller

• May 4, 2015 / 2:19 PM

Not a WAG in sight Stephanie! Lots of happy golfers though. golf isn’t for me and Husband but it was nice to see the golfers on the courses and whizzing past in their electric cars to get from A to B.
      An enjoyable holiday all in all.

19. Oh I love that photo of you and the girls – and am very glad Alice is speaking in inches not centimetres, plus that her legs were good for the park! Fabulous photos Mari, great looking Villa and resort and definitely an attractive location with so much to do. Sorry the weather wasn’t so brill, but if meant less traffic, perhaps was best :) X

20. May 1, 2015 / 3:41 PM

I would have to say that my response would have been about footballers too! It looks like an amazing place to visit.

21. May 1, 2015 / 4:00 PM

Some lovely photos – the outside area with the BBQ looks lovely!

22. May 1, 2015 / 6:59 PM

Ooh the idea of having a villa sounds lovely and what a great place to go and unwind. My husband would have loved the roman ruins. X

23. May 1, 2015 / 8:48 PM

What a beautiful resort. Perfect to relax and unwind.

24. May 1, 2015 / 9:59 PM

Lovley post Mari, so many great photos and memories made. My kids havn’t been abroad yet, I really need to get it sorted. Every post I see about James Villas just look amazing, they keep a really high standard, which is great. Mich x

25. May 2, 2015 / 10:51 AM

It looks like a wonderful place to explore, I’ve never experienced a villa holiday before but love the idea of having more than just a room to live in for a week.

26. May 2, 2015 / 11:33 AM

It looks and sounds like have had a fantastic time x

27. May 2, 2015 / 5:51 PM

Your Villa looks awesome, a very traditional Spanish style and comfortable, quite homely looking. Its so nice to eat outside, its a shame this time of year the weather can swing either way. I bet in high season that pool will be used every day. You all look like you’ve had a good time. I hope you get your photo framed of you and your daughters, its beautiful. Thank you (I’m lusting for a holiday now)

28. May 2, 2015 / 7:02 PM

What beautiful photos. I love the giant doors. I’m looking forward to our James’s Villa holiday in Lanzarote and you’ve just whetted my appetite even more!

29. May 2, 2015 / 7:46 PM

What an absolutely stunning place, the pictures are gorgeous as well. x

30. May 3, 2015 / 7:41 PM

It looks fabulous, especially the pool! Who wouldn’t love that pool?!

31. May 4, 2015 / 12:58 PM

I love the photo of the girls infront of that enormous door, it really looks like you shrunk them!

• May 4, 2015 / 2:24 PM

It does, you’re right! :D
      A real life ‘Honey I shrunk the kids’.

32. May 5, 2015 / 12:07 AM

Ah looks lovely, shame about the weather. The villa looks beautiful, love the photo of you and your girls x

33. May 5, 2015 / 11:14 AM

Ooh looks lovely (if a little windy!) – love the pic of you and the girls – and it is tricky to pack right at that time of year isnt it!

34. May 6, 2015 / 11:09 PM

Beautiful photos of such a lovely holiday place. Looks like you had a great time.

35. May 11, 2015 / 1:18 PM

Oh this looks amazing – both the villa and the resort. Looks like you had a great holiday x

36. May 22, 2015 / 12:09 PM

Ahh loved reading this – we went to La Manga around 7 years ago and stayed in a one bedroom villa. I loved it and even though we went pre-kids, we could tell how family friendly it was. Lovely photos!