Top Ten Honeymoon Destinations in ITALY

I am so pleased to see that Italy is becoming more and more popular as a holiday destination, having lived there for nearly 20 years I travelled extensively and fell in love with the whole country. I am asked quite frequently ideas of where to go and what to do in Italy which is really nice for me as it allows me to indulge in my guilty pleasure – Italy.

If there’s something I really love looking forward to in a new year it’s a wedding invitation and this year 2015, we have one! So I wanted to create a post on the top ten honeymoon destinations in Italy, I consulted my ex colleague and Press Officer for the Italian Tourist Board in the UK who you can find on Twitter should you need any advice or ideas.

Top Ten Honeymoon Destinations in Italy

Venice

venice lagoon, venezia

Image credit: archivio fotografico regione Veneto prom. turistica

Venice is known as the most romantic city in the world and for good reason too as anyone who’s ever been there will tell you it is enchanting. It is a one of a kind place that you really must visit once in your lifetime.

What to do there:

• Visit Harry’s Bar, one of Hemingway’s favourite spots and order a Bellini.
  • Take a gondola trip through the canals of Venice
  • Roam the pretty streets, get lost but take a map!
  • Watch the sun set on the beach, walk along the Zattere on the southern coast of Venice.
  • Take the river taxi and visit the beautiful islands in Venice lagoon, Giudecca, Murano, Burano and Torcello, see the amazing views of Venice from them.
  • Have an aperitivo in one of Venice’s bars, ask for a drop of Aperol or Campari to be added to your prosecco or white wine.
  • Try a wine tasting or cicchetti tour
  • Lots of the hotels have rooftop bars, like the Hilton, one I stayed in even had a rooftop swimming pool, perfect location for sunset drinks.
  • Visit a handmade glass factory

Trish from Mum’s Gone to went to Venice read about it here.

Sorrento/ Amalfi Coast / Capri

procida italy campania

Image credit COM.TUR

The Amalfi Coast is connected by one of the most scenic roads in Italy. A very dramatic and breathtaking coastline home of the glamorous seaside resorts Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. This part of the world has been described as the closest place on earth to heaven and the olive trees, lemon groves and white buildings set against the deep blue of the sea seem to suggest so.

The town of Amalfi is head resort, Sorrento offers spectacular ocean views and Ravello is famous for it’s gardens. If it’s glamour you are after then head into Positano and see the many world class restaurants and chic boutiques lining the streets. In the image – Procida a small island off the coast of Naples.

The island of Capri is another celebrity holiday destination which has an air of mystery around it. Take long walks around the island, visit the Piazzetta for a coffee. Go to Anacapri and visit Monte Solaro for some of the best views in the world and don’t forget to see the villa of Tiberius the Emperor.

Read about Gretta’s Vespa Tour of Naples or Sorrento and Ravello

Rome

Rome

Image credit: Fototeca ENIT

Maybe not everyone’s first choice of honeymoon as Rome is a busy city but the Eternal City is one of the most important destinations in the world, home to works of art, stunning architecture, engineering and ancient history.

Rome is also close enough to Sorrento and the Amalfi coast so you can consider visiting both areas for your honeymoon.

Visit the beautiful rose garden, the Ponte Sisto Bridge that leads to Trastevere and the small island of Tiber. Visit the many museums of the city and its beautiful churches and basilicas and find small trattorias and traditional pizzerias in the medieval lanes of the city where you can find amazing local food along with the best wines.

Read more at Mum’s Gone To Rome

Verona

Verona Juliette's balcony

Image credit: PROVINCIA DI VERONA PHOTO ARCHIVE

Home of Romeo and Juliette, the City of Love immortalised by Shakespeare.

Verona also has a breath taking Arena which can be visited, they also show operas in the summer, Aida and La Boheme are two that will stay with me forever. What strikes me every time I walk the streets of Verona is the glass walkways in the roads and pavements displaying the ancient ruins below. It’s a known fact that no pipe work can ever be done in Verona as every time they dig down they come across more ruins and have to stop!

Florence

florence italy tuscany

Florence is the capital region of Tuscany on the banks of the river Arno It is famous the world over as one of the art cities of Italy packed with history, art and culture. Visit the museums and monuments, Walk along Ponte Vecchio, see Brunelleschi’s Dome at the cathedral and the statue of Michelangelo and check out the jewellery boutiques, you will not be disappointed.

Read Trish’s account from Mum’s Gone To

Tuscany

tuscany square

Image credit: fototeca ENIT

Florence is the capital of Tuscany and has been called the “jewel in the crown of the Renaissance”. Other important Tuscan towns include Pisa, Siena, Lucca, San Gimignano, Monatlcino, Montepulciano, Chianti oh and yes of course WINE. Tuscany is the heart of excellent Italian wines.

Tuscany is one rolling hill topped with cypress trees and magical medieval towns  the world renowned wines and cheese will tempt you to return ‘under the Tuscan sun’ time and time again.

Visit Saturnia for a thermal spa like you’ve never had before, take a walk through the streets of San Gimignano, cross by ferry to the Island of Elba and walk along the streets of these beautiful towns

Lake Garda – Trentino

lake garda

Lake Garda is surrounded by three regions but as I lived in Trentino at the top we’ll focus on that part. Home to Riva and Torbole, two stunning locations also known internationally for the windsurfing competitions held there. Lake Garda offers a honeymooning couple everything, mountains to climb with spectacular views over the lake and beyond, cycle trips around the lake, boats and ferries across the lake and once again, history, art and culture in abundance.

Find out more by reading our holiday on Lake Garda or Trish’s from Mum’s Gone To

Sardinia or Sardegna

sardegna costa verde

Sardinia or Sardegna as it’s known in Italy is a beautiful island situated to the right of the boot in the Tyrrhenian Sea.

It is home of many quaint medieval fishing villages and also Costa Smeralda the stunning celebrity attraction.

The cities of Cagliari, Alghero and Sassari offer the modern facilities and many museums while the smaller locations like Budoni, San Teodoro, Gabbiani Island and Stintino offer the best of the beaches and many water sport activities.

Find out more from our past holiday to Sardegna

Sicily

tonnara di scopello

Image credit: ASSESSORATO TURISMO REGIONE SICILIANA

I visited Sicily back in 1987 and fell in love with it, I have been waiting ever since for the opportunity to return and one day I will. Sicily is home to Etna the volcano that can be visited, Taormina the beautiful coastal resort and Agrigento home of the Greek ruins. There is so much more

Read about Gretta’s Palermo Street Food tour

Puglia

puglia trulli Alberobello

My holiday to Puglia was one of my favourites of all the time I spent in Italy. I fell in love with the Trulli in Alberobello seen in the image above. I swam off the Tremiti Islands and scoured the Gargano for fabulous restaurants. I travelled all the way around the ‘heel’ and enjoyed every part of it. Highlight of the trip was a delicious meal in Otranto in a restaurant called Osteria del Tempo Perso or The restaurant of lost time. Exquisite.

Read more about my Puglia experience or that of A Bavarian Sojourn

What to expect from an Italian honeymoon

Italy is one of the most romantic places in the world and the Italians are passionate, soulful people.

Everywhere you look there is something to take your breath away, beautiful landscapes, picturesque towns and villages, an incredibly rich history and an overwhelming art collection.

If you are passionate about food, you are in the right place, Eating and drinking is an enormous part of Italian life, shops and banks still shut for a 2 hour lunch break.

Souvenirs to remember your holiday are plenty, my guess is you’ll come home with more than one item when faced with the displays of ceramics, art, leather and Made in Italy items. Take time to look at the fashion in the many boutiques, there’s always something a bit special in their clothes that can’t be found anywhere else in the world.

Don’t forget your camera!

1. January 16, 2015 / 8:09 AM

Ah Italy ???? our Wedding tables were named after the majority of these Italian places and we honey mooned in Venice and Sorrento. We have such happy memories of our time in Italy and dream of going back one day. I long to visit all of the above as I believe there isn’t a more beautiful Country. You were so lucky to have lived there.

• January 16, 2015 / 11:05 AM

I was so lucky to have lived in Italy for so long and got to know the country and it’s people so well, I miss it dearly and hope to tick a few more of these destinations off on my list soon. PLUS revisit my favourites, I don’t think I’ll ever be ‘done’ with Italy.

2. Alessandra Smith
    January 16, 2015 / 10:48 AM

Great and inspiring feature, Marianne, and yes, I can be contacted on twitter and our office email is info.london@enit.it
    To any readers who would like to honeymoon in super-romantic Verona I suggest they check the San Valentino celebrations there http://www.veronainlove.it/en “If you love someone, take them to Verona” is their motto!

• January 16, 2015 / 1:46 PM

I was lucky in as much as Verona was only an hour away by car so I got to visit a few times. I watched Aida and La Boheme in the Arena and walked the streets on market day. Plus had one of the best dinners of my life.
      I hope to go back one day as it is truly magical.

3. January 16, 2015 / 11:13 AM

Lovely list, I’m a big fan of Itay too and while I didn’t go on my honeymoon there I have been to all your suggested places except Puglia, Sardinia and Sorrento, and I’m working on that!

• January 16, 2015 / 1:47 PM

All three are beautiful, I’m struggling to decide which one to suggest first!

4. January 16, 2015 / 11:22 AM

Oh you have made me long to have another honeymoon.
    We toyed with Italy and now I wonder if I can get him to take me for our anniversary!

• January 16, 2015 / 1:47 PM

Perfect idea, check out the link in the comment above about Verona and send it on to him ;)

5. January 16, 2015 / 11:24 AM

Thank you for including links to my posts. We have always had wonderful holidays in Italy and it has dawned on me, reading this, that I need an Italian fix so that needs to be addressed pronto!

• January 16, 2015 / 1:48 PM

Ha ha! I always need an Italy fix, I’ll be interested to see where you decide to go.

6. January 16, 2015 / 12:24 PM

I had a day visit to Rome when on a family holiday as a teen- I would LOVE to go back now I am old enough to appreciate it properly!

• January 16, 2015 / 1:49 PM

I know all those missed opportunities as a kid when you hadn’t quite grasped what you were looking at and how special it is.

I’ve only done a couple of day trips to Rome and really want to go back and explore it properly one day.

7. January 16, 2015 / 12:48 PM

Italy is somewhere I would love to visit, and these suggestions have made me want to go even more. Thank you for such a comprehensive list!

• January 16, 2015 / 1:49 PM

I hope you get there soon, you will love it – promise!

8. January 16, 2015 / 1:23 PM

I’ve only ever been to Rome but it was an amazing holiday and I’d go back in a flash.

• January 16, 2015 / 1:50 PM

Lucky you, I’ve only visited Rome on a couple of day trips, I want to go back and visit it more extensively.

9. January 16, 2015 / 2:19 PM

Perfect post! We went to Florence and Sorrento for our honeymoon and loved them!

• January 16, 2015 / 8:28 PM

A beautiful combination, I haven’t been to Florence in 20 years, I really want to return

10. January 16, 2015 / 2:42 PM

Some amazing destinations and each one just perfect for a Honeymoon, I think for me it would be Venice or The Amalfi coast – 18 years engaged still not married so there is hope! :)

• January 16, 2015 / 8:29 PM

18 years engaged – there’s is definitely hope, I’d say top of the list of things to do – some romance in Italy :)

11. January 16, 2015 / 2:57 PM

Maybe I’ll get a belated honeymoon for my 25th wedding anniversary present this year? It would have to be either Florence or Verona for me I think, always wanted to go there!

• January 16, 2015 / 8:30 PM

Verona is the city of LOVE Mary and it’s just gorgeous. Hope you get there, 25 years is the perfect excuse

12. January 16, 2015 / 3:06 PM

Just like you, I love Italy. I haven’t been to Puglia yet though – it’s on my list. Thank you for linking to my posts x

• January 16, 2015 / 8:30 PM

Puglia is one of my favourites, it will blow you away Gretta, so much to see and do.

13. January 16, 2015 / 3:08 PM

How lovely, I’d like to visit them all!

14. January 16, 2015 / 3:27 PM

This post just reminds me how much I love Italy. Mr C and I were last there for a conference in Sorrento and we loved it there so much. I really wish we could go back soon.

• January 16, 2015 / 8:31 PM

Ha! Even a work conference takes on a new dimension in Sorrento, I bet that was a fabulous experience #jealous

15. Lucie Aiston
    January 16, 2015 / 4:55 PM

How beautiful! I have never been to Italy but would absolutely love to! Hopefully… one day! xx

16. January 16, 2015 / 6:51 PM

I have never been, but after reading this I really want to go now! x

• January 16, 2015 / 8:32 PM

Good, it’s good to discover new places and Italy will not disappoint you I promise.

17. January 16, 2015 / 7:42 PM

My husband and I have always wanted to visit Italy – there are so many lovely places to go and things to see. It must have been an amazing place to live.

• January 16, 2015 / 8:33 PM

It was! And there is always something else to do and see so there’s never a dull moment.

18. January 16, 2015 / 9:41 PM

Oh oh oh! Duly noted.

Venice has been top of my list for years, but I expect my husband-to-be would prefer Lake Garda for the swimming opportunities!

19. January 16, 2015 / 9:48 PM

Oh Mari, having just read Greta’s post about Italy and then seem this. I HAVE to visit Italy. We are in such need of some sun, fun and family time here and Italy looks perfect.

20. January 16, 2015 / 9:52 PM

Wow there’s only three places on your list I haven’t been to. I love Italy it’s so charming, my next stop there will be Sorrento, I’ve always wanted to visit. x

21. January 17, 2015 / 12:22 AM

Can I go now please? I can find husband number 4 if that helps ? ;)

22. Pingback: Top Ten Honeymoon Destinations in ITALY | LAB
  23. January 17, 2015 / 9:36 AM

I have only ever been to Rome but oh the food …I mean the sights (ahem)

24. January 17, 2015 / 11:49 AM

Oh you know I so want to go to Italy. I am thinking maybe when the kids have left home we will just visit it all. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. LOL it hasn’t helped me narrow it down and I also really want to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

25. January 18, 2015 / 11:54 PM

I LOVE Italy – the food, people and beautiful countryside. I would really like to try Sicily as it’s one place I’m yet to visit though. Great post!

26. January 19, 2015 / 10:02 AM

OOh I would love to go to Italy !