I love tomato soup and this one is so delicious and easy to make you’ll never be without a decent tomato soup recipe again.
January is my moment of the year when I try to put right all the eating wrongs I allowed myself in December. I always come out of Christmas half a stone heavier but listen, it was fun! I ate, I drank and I enjoyed myself but now it’s time to pull my socks up and get back to some form of health again.
I had a go at the 5:2 diet earlier last year having spoken about it on Facebook, many friends got in touch to say how well it had worked for them. I downloaded the book on my Kindle and was really intrigued to read about the anti cancer properties this diet has thanks to kidding the body to go into survival mode twice a week. With so much cancer in the family this can only be a great habit to pick up?
The downside, and most difficult part of the 5:2 diet is you have to choose two days out of your week and only have a maximum of 500 calories that day. That is not a lot to eat and if you do start you’ll find yourself hunting for 100 calories recipes.
A quick Google hunt shows me that 1 cup of tomato soup has only 30 calories, seeing as I serve a big portion I’ll make that 90 cals and I’m over the moon with that!
So, here’s my recipe for Roasted Tomato and Red Onion soup, enjoy!
- 8 ripe large tomatoes cut in half
- 2 red onions cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 1 x OXO Herbs & More Tarragon and Chive taste pot
- Pre heat the oven to 200C / gas 5.
- Place the tomatoes and onions on a roasting tray with the garlic.
- Drizzle over the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes until softened and slightly charred.
- Soup Maker instructions
- Place the roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic in the soup maker, pour in the chicken stock, add the tomato puree, brown sugar and OXO taste pot.
- Select the smooth setting, once ready season to taste and serve.
- If using the hob
- Place all ingredients in a thick bottomed pan and bring to the boil, simmer gently for 20 minutes and then blend with a blend stick.
Take a look at my Recipe Index for