Roses | Costa Brava by bike!

Roses beach

Our second day on the Costa Brava was spent in Roses up at the other end of the bay where L’Estartit sits at the bottom. It took a good hour on a minibus to get there but it was well worth the drive.

Roses sandcastle

We arrived at around 10 am and the lovely lady from Burricleta was waiting for us. The plan was to sightsee on a bicycle. An electric bike which I had never tried before.

Burricleta Roses Costa Brava

We were told that children had to be over 8 to ride alone and this caused a few tears from our mini cyclists to begin with BUT I am so pleased we managed to convince them to sit with us as they would have never made the long hour and a half round trip on their own.

Burricleta Roses national park

I must say once you get used to how to use the electric bike it is the most amazing experience and one we will most definitely repeat if we see it elsewhere. It is very simple to use and because it is electric you don’t exhaust yourself but are able to take in the surroundings and Roses is truly beautiful to see.

Our lovely guide took us along Roses seafront which you can see in the top photo, she cut through the town and then took us for a wonderful journey through the natural park that lays outside the town.

Bessie Costa brava Roses

It was beautiful. Quiet, calm with wonderful fresh air to fill your lungs with.

Roses - me and Bessie

Once we had completed the park tour we then rode through the elite part of Roses. An absolutely amazing area with huge colourful villas lining the canals that stretch in from the sea, each villa with it’s own swimming pool (obvs) plus landing stage for their boat at the bottom of the garden. We saw a yacht go by as we stood on a bridge to take the view in. Take a look at our view from the bridge

Upstream – I am in love with those villas.

Roses Costa Brava

and downstream with a yacht coming our way. I’m so sad the weather had turned on us and the photos look a bit dull as I promise you it is a stunning view.

Roses waterways

We rode our way back to the beach and followed a path all the way back to where we had started.

Thank you Roses Burricleta for your time and such an amazing trip. I wish I had a Go Pro to show the readers just how beautiful our trip was, in fact I must invest in one soon.

Roses beach

Back at the beachfront, the weather was turning and everyone was hungry, Visit Roses had booked us a meal at one of the town’s many restaurants L’Entrecot and as we turned up we saw the paella finishing off on the terrace – what a welcome!

L'Entrecot Roses, Costa Brava

The starter was a buffet of amazing tapas to choose from, there was something for everyone and I couldn’t resist but take a spoonful of my favourites to try and the main of course had to be the fresh paella it was worth it.

Roses Costa Brava

After lunch we had to make our way back to Barcelona for our flight home but I left my heart on the Costa Brava and husband, ever since he’s been back, has been dreaming of moving there once he retires … he’s even been on the property websites. I daren’t remind him how many years he has yet to go. But a villa with a staircase like this? Yes please!

Roses staircase

Alice and Bessie in roses Costa Brava

Disclosure: We were guests of the Catalan Tourist Board for this trip and we would like to thank Burricleta Roses for taking the time to show us around and Visit Roses for such a delicious lunch.

1. November 10, 2014 / 10:53 AM

Thanks for the mention – I loved how much variation you could get in a trip to one town. A wonderful experience wasn’t it. I know my husband really enjoyed the electric bicycles too.

• November 12, 2014 / 7:27 PM

The bikes were an excellent way of covering a lot of ground to maximise our time.

2. November 10, 2014 / 6:09 PM

Wow, your holiday looks so amazing. I’m jealous

• November 12, 2014 / 9:17 PM

It was a very busy but fabulous weekend which we all want to go back and explore more

3. November 11, 2014 / 10:22 AM

Wow that sand sculpture is really stunning x

• November 12, 2014 / 9:23 PM

Amazing isn’t it and there were others dotted along the beach as we walked along it too.

4. November 11, 2014 / 10:40 AM

Ah thank you for mentioning us – we loved spending the time with you and what a beautiful area to spend it in. I love your photos – particularly the tiles, such a great spot!

• November 12, 2014 / 9:24 PM

Ha ha! I know you loved those tiles. I think there is so much more to do in that area or on all the Costa Brava. We’re definitely thinking of returning some day.
      It was lovely spending time with you too, hope we get called on another family press trip again soon.

5. November 11, 2014 / 11:29 AM

I love the idea of exploring on a bike, it looks like you had an amazing time.

• November 12, 2014 / 9:25 PM

Those bikes get top marks from us as they allow you to travel miles but not get exhausted. Genius idea and perfect for exploring tourists.

6. November 11, 2014 / 3:01 PM

Amazing scenery! I think those villas look just the ticket. I’ve never been on a electric bike, I love the sound of those for the hills ;)

• November 12, 2014 / 9:25 PM

Husband has been dreaming of his own villa ever since :)

7. Annie @ Simple Wanderlust
    November 11, 2014 / 3:52 PM

How lovely – and to meet up with blogging chums too :)

I love the sound of electric bikes, I’ve not tried one either but anything that makes things easier is alright by me!

Loving that staircase – I can see why you fell in love Mari x

• November 12, 2014 / 9:26 PM

Meeting the bloggers was the icing on the cake for us and the children all got on so well.

• November 12, 2014 / 9:27 PM

You must. It is light years away from the pre conceived idea of British pubs and fish and chips. You are in Spain, in Catalan and you can feel it all around you. Utterly beautiful.

8. November 11, 2014 / 7:39 PM

What wonderful scenery, that beach, the food, the tiles, and THOSE BIKES!! I would be more than happy with an Electric Bike in Munich. Would be too scared I would run everyone over accidentally on one though! Looks like an amazing visit Mari! :) xx

• November 12, 2014 / 9:28 PM

You do have to be careful with the breaks we were told as if you stop too quickly you may go over the handlebar! Luckily that din’t happen but if I see them again I will most definitely repeat the experience. Amazing

9. November 11, 2014 / 7:59 PM

Oh Mari, it looks just beautiful!! I’d love a go on one of those bikes too!

• November 12, 2014 / 9:28 PM

When you see them some place, have a go and I promise you won’t regret it.

10. November 11, 2014 / 9:17 PM

It looks like a really relaxed part of Spain. I’d love to do some cycling in Spain.

• November 12, 2014 / 9:29 PM

And in the autumn the weather is kinder as in not too hot so perfect for a couple of hours riding.

11. Pinkoddy
    November 12, 2014 / 1:35 AM

I have not heard of an electric bike before – I shall have to give one a go. I do hope you can go back with a Go Pro – that would be fab. The stairs are gorgeous.

• November 12, 2014 / 9:41 PM

An electric bike with a Go Pro would have made an amazing video to show of the beautiful park. On my Santa wish list.

12. November 12, 2014 / 8:59 AM

So beautiful! I want to go there now with my girls!

• November 12, 2014 / 9:29 PM

I really hope you do one day, they’d ;love it and so would you.

13. November 12, 2014 / 10:35 AM

That looks amazing, love the stair case

• November 12, 2014 / 9:31 PM

The stair case is special isn’t it. You know you’re in Spain when you see beautiful tiles.

14. November 12, 2014 / 11:38 AM

This sounds like a great trip – the sandcastle is amazing, and the views, but I think we would have really loved the bikes. They sound like a dream….

• November 12, 2014 / 9:33 PM

It was a wonderful trip that is still in my heart today. We really hope to get back out there and explore more one day as we’ve only touched the surface.

15. November 12, 2014 / 2:32 PM

That is one hell of a sandcastle!! I thought for a minute there you were on pedal power with the girls on the back, and I was thinking that would be hard work, then read they were electric – now thats the sort of cycling I could do! Looks fab!

• November 12, 2014 / 9:35 PM

Ha ha! I’d pass out Sonya pedalling with Bess on the back but it was an excellent way to really get the feel of the local area and the lady who was our guide was so knowledgeable and passionate about her home it was a joy to listen.

16. November 12, 2014 / 3:10 PM

Well done with the bike riding. My boys are avid riders, I wish I could get in to it again.

• November 12, 2014 / 9:36 PM

Electric bikes Jen, if you see one give it a whirl because they are brilliant and you get off after 2 hours not knowing you have ridden. My kind of bike ;)

17. November 12, 2014 / 7:21 PM

Wow, just look at this sandcastle!
    I want to build a castle now.

• November 12, 2014 / 9:37 PM

You’ll have trouble building one in the UK with the weather we have right now. I suggest a trip to roses on the Costa Brava.

18. November 12, 2014 / 10:09 PM

I love cycling! I’ve never been to Costa Brava before but it looks like a really family friendly cycling destination, nothing worse than getting somewhere and finding there’s nowhere to go but main roads…I hope you had fun! :)

Sara | This Girl Loves

• November 14, 2014 / 11:52 AM

Oh my goodness there are kilometers and kilometers of cycle paths over there, a cyclists paradise, we literally scratched the surface as we only had the morning. They have some wonderful itineraries too.

19. November 12, 2014 / 11:09 PM

I’d like to try one of those electric bikes, they look great. I’m glad you had a good time. I love the Costa Brava, it’s such an interesting and beautiful part of Spain.

• November 14, 2014 / 11:53 AM

I too have fallen in love with the Costa Brava, there was so much to see and such beauty, we’ll definitely be returning at some point.

20. November 12, 2014 / 11:47 PM

Can’t imagine having my 8 year old on the back of the bike. That was a good workout for you both. The paella is making me hungry!

• November 14, 2014 / 11:55 AM

Are you kidding me? I couldn’t have pedalled for all that time with a child on the back, it was all down to the fact it was an electric bike. It allowed us to go much further than cycling with the 6 year old twins and not get exhausted as the bikes are powered by the electric charge. A genius invention in my book :)

21. November 13, 2014 / 3:45 PM

What a stunning location, can’t believe how empty the beaches are! You are very brave having the girls on the back of the bike – I struggle with eliza now she is bigger

• November 14, 2014 / 11:56 AM

That was the end of September Kara, I imagine in the height of summer the beach would be quite a different scene. It was really lovely to go out of season and get a real feel for the place.

22. November 13, 2014 / 5:25 PM

Bikes are a wonderful way to discover a new place, you’re still connected to the ground and travel at a pace that allows you to absorb your surroundings. You’ve done a wonderful job of giving us a window into your trip with all those photos.
    And those stairs… gorgeous!

23. November 13, 2014 / 7:32 PM

Have often wondered what an electric bike would be like.
    The region looks beautiful, despite the gloomier weather later in the day (always frustrating for a blogger).
    Very keen to visit Costa Brava – have seen so much online over the last couple of years to know there is plenty to see there.

• November 14, 2014 / 11:57 AM

I would highly recommend Costa Brava for the people, the food, the scenery and the lifestyle and I would highly recommend the electric bikes as they allow you to see so much more and not get exhausted either.

24. November 14, 2014 / 12:26 PM

I’ve never been to Costa Brava but you’ve really tempted me! Your’s and Globalmouse’s posts were my favourite for sure. How lovely you got to holiday together x

• November 14, 2014 / 4:30 PM

This is the beauty of family press trips I got to meet some fantastic bloggers who I wouldn’t have otherwise. Even better I made a new friend! #winwin

25. November 14, 2014 / 8:36 PM

I was so impressed with these bikes – I would definitely seek them out on another trip to Spain, and I even managed to find a company in New York who run similar tours. It’s definitely a fun way to see a lot of a place!

26. Pingback: Things to do on the Costa Brava with kids - Mums do travel