I love making quiches, I find they’re really good for using up bits and bobs in the fridge and it sorts out my lunches or snacks for everyone else for the week – if I’m lucky!
This one started off as I had an aubergine in the fridge that needed using, I also found some cheese and a courgette that needed using up so slowly the idea came to mind. Personally I am so pleased with throwing over the pistachio nuts as they added texture and flavour to my Mediterranean Quiche, I will definitely be using nuts or seeds again in the future.
I used ready made pastry as it’s so quick and easy, just remember to take it out of the fridge half an hour before use so the pastry shrinks less on baking blind. I also let it rest in the dish before putting it in the oven to bake to prevent shrinking too.
I recently took part in a BritMums hangout for British Lion Eggs where 7 top bloggers come together and chat about using eggs in various ways to use up leftovers hanging around, there are some great ideas so check out the video at the end of the post.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Roll the pastry and line a buttered quiche dish, prick the bottom a couple of times and loosely line foil on the top. Place the baking beans on top.
- Bake blind for 15 minutes.
- Prepare your vegetables, I grilled mine to give them a striped look.
- Remove the pastry case from the oven and lift the beans off in the foil placing to one side to cool down.
- Place the vegetables on the base, sprinkle over the cheese cut into cubes, dot the tomatoes over to add colour.
- Beat the eggs in a jug and add the milk, mix well and pour over the vegetables and cheese.
- Sprinkle the top with the pistachios, a few sprigs of thyme and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook in the oven at 180 C for about 45 – 55 minutes checking to see the eggs are set and the top doesn’t burn.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Great for picnics
Please find a fabulous BritMums hangout for British Lion Eggs below where 7 bloggers come together and talk about using eggs with leftovers, there are some fabulous ideas