Wine tasting tips – Lindeman’s sunshine ambassador

Lindeman's sunshine wine box

When a fabulous wine company like Lindeman’s contact you to say, ‘We want you to be our sunshine ambassador.’ it is one of those days when you feel really, really lucky.

That happened to me at the recent BritMums Live where Lindeman’s were present as a sponsor and offering glasses of their superb wines to all of the bloggers who passed by their stand, yes it was a busy stand!

Needless to say with such an important role placed on my shoulders I popped back frequently to try as many as I could for you dear reader.

lindeman's sunflower

Lindeman’s is Australian wine that has brightness and vitality that comes from 1000 hours of sunshine in every drop of wine. How cool is that? That means it’s definitely worth sharing.

Doctor Henry Lindeman started back 170 years ago in the Hunter Valley planting the first vines in 1843, (that’s just above Sydney for you and me.) You can find out much more on the Lindeman’s website

Lindeman's map

I’m working together with Helen from The Crazy Kitchen and the wine range for our summer promotion is

• Bin 95 Sauvignon Blanc
  • Bin 85 Pinot Grigio
  • Bin 65 Chardonnay
  • Bin 35 Rose
  • Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Bin 50 Shiraz

Of course, Lindeman’s have a range of wines to suit any occasion but we’ll be focusing on these for now.

Lindeman's wine tasting

Working in the family hotel in Italy I completed my first step of the sommelier course as we would hold weekly wine tastings for our guests. They were a huge hit as people liked to hear a little bit more so I’d like to pass on a few tips I learnt on tasting wine just in case you were interested too.

My Wine Tasting tips

A wine tasting will be so much easier on a white background as shown in the photo above. White tablecloth or white paper both work well.

1. Look at the wine. Tilt the glass and seek the colour of the tongue or edge of the wine. White wines darken as they age so a very young white wine may often have green reflections whereas an older wine will be moving towards a more golden colour. Young red wines often have a purple tint to the edge and the older they get the browner they become.
  2. Swirl your wine in the glass. This is done to fill the wine with air allowing it to mix and give off it’s aroma. Sniff the wine by going right in to the glass, this will allow you to get a full sense of smell. My sense of smell isn’t as good as others (ex smoker) but many wine experts will tell you which flower, vegetable or even spice they can detect.
  3. Watch for the ‘arches’ on the side of the glass. A wine’s viscosity is also a great way of understanding more of the wine you are tasting. The longer lasting the ‘arch’ left on the glass in between swirls most likely the higher the alcohol content and indication of a more full bodied wine.
  4. Now for the expectorating. Take a sip and don’t swallow. Roll the wine in your mouth over all of your tastebuds. You will be able to detect sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami (meaty or savoury). Feel for the texture of the wine and a sense of weight.
  5. Now draw in some air through your lips, this is called aspiration and once again allows you to smell the aroma whilst tasting at the same time. Professional wine tasters would then spit into a spitoon as they may be going on to taste quite a few.
  6. Now take another sip but slurp it so you take in air at the same time. You don’t have to make a loud slurping noise for this part, it will probably make people turn around and look at you. Note the differences in texture and flavour
  7. Look out for the aftertaste. How long does it last? do you like it?

That’s it, have fun and learn something about what you’re drinking along the way. These are the bottles (minus the Sauvignon Blanc) to look out for if you want to join me and fill your summer with Lindeman’s sunshine.

Lindeman's wines

Find out more about Lindeman’s on Facebook chat with them on Twitter and check out their beautiful sunshine images on Instagram

Tell me one of your favourite moments of the day for Lindemans wine. Personally, mine is a 6 o’clock glass. Join me?

Disclosure: I am working with Lindemans wine over the next few months to tell you more about their wines and how they bring sunshine into my life.

1. July 14, 2014 / 2:06 PM

I do like a nice glass of white wine on a hot day… Did sample many of the fabulous Lindeman’s selection at BML too, can’t think of one I wasn’t keen on! :)

• Marianne Weekes
      July 18, 2014 / 1:08 PM

Ha, they were good weren’t they? Hope you are enjoying a chilled glass today x

2. July 14, 2014 / 2:38 PM

I’m glad to be working with such a knowledgeable sommelier on this & look forward to lots of summer fun!
    x

• Marianne Weekes
      July 18, 2014 / 1:08 PM

I can’t wait for the fun to begin :) Bring it on!

3. July 14, 2014 / 2:57 PM

Oh tough job Mari! I went to the Lindemans wine tasting sessions at BritMums Live and was very impressed with their every day drinking range. Affordable and good.

So when are you inviting us over? :D

• Marianne Weekes
      July 18, 2014 / 1:09 PM

Ha ha, I tell you what I’ll pop over to California and bring some with me :)
      Have a great holiday x

4. July 14, 2014 / 3:34 PM

I spent some time working for a wine dealer and I often recommended Lindermans. It has always been a favourite in this house and I was very grateful for the bottle we were given at Britmums – crisp, clear, and fruity – perfect to enjoy cold on a warm summer evening in the garden!

• Marianne Weekes
      July 18, 2014 / 1:10 PM

Yes, I shared my bottle with my mum when I went up to see her. She loved it and it was a very special moment for us

5. Sonya Cisco
    July 14, 2014 / 5:04 PM

I am a red wine kind of a girl, and the one I tried at BritMums was delicious- some great tips there, next time we open a bottle I will remember them and give it a go!

• Marianne Weekes
      July 18, 2014 / 1:10 PM

I’ll bring a red along to Camp Bestival! Then we’re sorted :)

6. July 14, 2014 / 6:25 PM

I spent so much time at their stand I think they’re on my Christmas card list!

You’re going to be a great ambassador for them, sounds like you really know what you’re talking about. x

• Marianne Weekes
      July 18, 2014 / 1:12 PM

Offer a blogger wine. That is all you need to do right?
      Thanks Liz, I’m really flattered to take on this role and it’s a great project to get involved in, watch out for my rays of sunshine this summer :)

7. July 14, 2014 / 8:33 PM

wow wow wow, I don’t often get jealous of others opportunities as I have plenty of amazing opps myself but this one – just wow! Who could not love to be a wine ambassador!

• Marianne Weekes
      July 18, 2014 / 1:13 PM

I know, it’s really cool isn’t it. Plus I’ve loved reading their website and learning about the history. Doctor Henry was a genius in my eyes :)

8. July 14, 2014 / 9:39 PM

Haha though job, but someone’s gotta do it, right? I’m really excited to hear more about the wines you try. I’m not a big wine drinker, but I do like a nice fruity white wine – yep and that’s as far as my skills reach when it comes to describing a wine’s flavour or aroma? ;)

• Marianne Weekes
      July 18, 2014 / 1:14 PM

That’s a good start Carolin, fruity white is good.
      Brilliant job and right up my street as I adore wine, after living 20 odd years in Italy how could I not?

9. July 15, 2014 / 8:19 AM

Oooh well done on that gig Mari! I didlove the Lindemans wine at Britmums – they’re one of those wine brands that you can totally always trust when faced with a shelf of unknowns.

• Marianne Weekes
      July 18, 2014 / 1:16 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more Helen, most definitely a brand to keep in mind when shopping.

• Marianne Weekes
      July 18, 2014 / 1:16 PM

I’m sure you would too Cass, maybe one of us should move then we could taste together, that would be fun :)

10. July 19, 2014 / 10:40 PM

Congratulations! Bet you were over the moon to become an ambassador for Lindeman’s. Great tips for tasting wine.

11. July 21, 2014 / 11:20 AM

Some great tips here, I’ve always loved wine but have stayed in my student vein of just drinking it without knowing much about it, so I’ll be bearing these in mind next week when we’re in the Côte du Rhone region…. oh and great gig re Lindeman’s :-)

• July 21, 2014 / 6:27 PM

I’m the same, I’m not a fanatic but it’s nice to have learnt those few things about wine tasting as when given a ‘good’ glass of wine it does make me stop and think more.