Whenever I am shopping and I see the large beef joints on special offer I always get one for the freezer because even if I don’t use it for a large party of people I can use it in a beef pot roast slow cooker recipe and freeze the cooked half we won’t eat for another day.
Many think of roast for autumn and winter but the beauty of this recipe cooked in the slow cooker is when it’s finished it falls apart, I didn’t take an after photo as it was looking more like pulled beef rather than slices of roast BUT it tasted divine.
This is a very simple but tasty beef pot roast. I have added to the classic recipe by using ingredients that were in my fridge and cupboards at the time so be adventurous, chop and change the ingredients too, you’ll be surprised at how easy it is and amazed at the excellent results.
- 2 potatoes peeled and halved
- 1 aubergine sliced and diced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- Olive oil for browning
- 800g piece of braising steak for 4 people
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tsps paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Asafoetida (optional) (Schwartz)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 350 ml beef stock
- 150 red wine
- 2 tsp black onion seeds (Schwartz)
- 2 tbsp beef gravy granules + 2 tbsp water
- Toss the potatoes, aubergine, carrots and onion wedges in a little oil to colour and soften then add to the slow cooker.
- Seal the meat in the same frying pan adding more oil if necessary.
- In a glass or small pot make a paste with the mustard, paprika, cayenne pepper, asafoetida, cumin, garlic and chopped rosemary.
- Coat the beef with the paste and place on top of the sautéed vegetables
- Pour in the stock and wine careful not to wash off the rub and sprinkle the black onion seeds over the top. I added a sprig of rosemary too.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the beef and leave to stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Remove the vegetables from the liquid in the slow cooker and keep warm.
- Blend the gravy granules with the water in a glass or pot until smooth and then add to the liquid, cook on high until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the beef sliced with the vegetables and gravy
When we cut the beef it fell to pieces, it was delicious but difficult to cut a perfect slice.