Berrynarbor Devon – home of the flower pot people

Berrynarbour cottage

One lovely English village we visited was Berrynarbor Devon, just inland on the road from Coombe Martin to Watermouth Castle.

It’s hilly, quiet and very peaceful. Most of the houses are whitewashed with black slate roofs and the gardens are beautiful, lots of colour and different blooms, it’s a real pleasure to stroll along the main road.

In fact the village has won quite a few prizes for best kept village.

berrynarbour bus stop

But what caught my eye are the flowerpot men that inhabit the village too. As you walk along the road you can spot them in gardens, or up poles, taking a rest on a wall or simply looking down at you. The girls thought it was fantastic.

Berrynarbour 1

The story goes that a man, resident of Berrynarbor was made redundant quite unexpectedly and to keep himself busy he started to make some flowerpot men. His friends and neighbours bought one from his collection to support him and slowly, slowly the village became quite populated. Can you spot the flowerpot man in the photo below?

berrynarbour 2

This gentleman stopped making them after a while but the local shopkeeper asked him permission to continue, so you can now pop along to the local shop and choose your own model for £30.

berrynarbour 3

berrynarbour 4

berrynarbour 5

berrynarbour 6

berrynarbour 7

berrynarbour

berrynarbour

There are a couple of pubs and a cafe/restaurant for refreshments and the village often have garden walks or other interesting events to check out.

berrynarbour wall of flowers

berrynarbour bus stop

Meet our very own Flower Pot lady, Candi. The girls were delighted as it reminds them of their beloved Candi of the Skyline Gang at Butlins

candi flowerpot

She now sits proudly in our back garden as a lovely reminder of a beautiful place far, far away.

1. June 10, 2014 / 11:04 PM

Beautiful shots Mari, love all the flower pot men! x

2. June 11, 2014 / 7:44 AM

What a gorgeous village, and those flower pot people are just brilliant!

• June 11, 2014 / 8:22 PM

Each one made me smile as special care and attention had gone into the creation of them

3. becky
    June 11, 2014 / 8:28 AM

How fabulous she is!

4. June 11, 2014 / 9:23 AM

It looks beautiful, and I love the flowerpot people, how wonderful! My children would love something like that.

• June 11, 2014 / 8:23 PM

The girls talked about our FlowerPot People for long afterwards which is always a good sign they found it interesting

5. June 11, 2014 / 10:00 AM

Oh my how I love those pot people! Really good idea! Love the pink hair on your pot lady!

6. June 11, 2014 / 8:25 PM

She’s cool isn’t she? the girls just love that it’s pink :)

7. Sean O Farrell
    February 8, 2017 / 4:22 PM

Hi a friend told me of a village he found on holiday Berrynarbor a village of Radom flowerpot men over thirty years ago .

At the time I lived on a chocolate box cottage in Clacton on Sea and needed something to brighten up my front garden , we placed an order for a Bill and Ben to place on our window cill . It was a great success with children referring to our cottage as the Bill and Ben house , they would say hello and wave to them every day . A few years later our four year old Granddaughter spotted a small flower pot man that was a present from my next door neighbours sitting in between Bill and Ben . She raced into our kitchen to excitedly tell me , Grandad. Bill and Ben have had a baby