Devon, flowerpot men and birthday parties

twitchen house

I’ve been very quiet this week and I have a very valid reason too. Last week, half term, we took our caravan down to Devon, we left at the crack of dawn to avoid heavy traffic and it worked, we had the awning up and everything in place to enjoy this beautiful sunset. Devon excelled in every way but the internet connection was dire, hence I’ve had my head down this week catching up on work.

Woolacombe in caravan

We stayed at Twitchen House, one of Woolacombe Bay’s four parks and it has recently undergone a massive facelift which is pretty impressive, future post on its way because we loved it and I want to tell you all about it.

the art shed twitchen house

One of the new activities we discovered was the perfect solution to a rainy day, The Art Shed. A huge room kitted out for painting pottery pieces, all kinds of pieces – my girls chose princesses! Tables are laid out with separate tiles for your splodges of paint, paints, brushes and you can even order a coffee. We LOVED it and would have definitely returned if the weather hadn’t have picked up.

crabbing coombe martin

Devon is an old stomping ground for husband and one of his favourite things to do in this part of the world is a beach crawl or a trip back in time to see the places dear to him. One of those places is Coombe Martin where many a childhood holiday was spent. On our visit the skies were grey and there was a chill in the air so we dressed accordingly and tried our hand at crabbing. A LOT of fun was had but nothing was caught.

berrynarbour village

One of my favourite visits this year was to Berrynarbour, a tiny inland village which has won plenty of flower prizes for the prettiest village but what is even cuter are the flowerpot men! Can you spot the two flowerpot men in this photo? Separate post to follow on our walk around the village but it was a lot of fun!

Towards the end of the week the sun shone and husband took the girls belly boarding whereas I took a walk along Woolacombe beach almost to the end and it was fabulous. Quiet, beautiful and deserted.

woolacombe beach

To finish off half term we celebrated my brother’s 40th with an amazing Sunday roast at The Laughing Gravy in Blackfriars, London. If you are in the area pop in to this amazing restaurant.

Happy 40th Dom ;)

1. June 5, 2014 / 11:22 PM

Ah, bliss Mari! Looks stunning. Makes me want a caravan!! Then we could holiday together!! Much love Mrs. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Karin xx

• June 9, 2014 / 8:54 PM

Can’t wait to see you too Karin.
      I must admit the caravan was an excellent purchase and although an old model she’s doing very well. We like it so much we’re looking to upgrade possibly next year. :D

2. June 6, 2014 / 1:57 PM

We went on holiday to Woolacoombe bay when my daughter was a baby, seeing as she is 18 soon we are long overdue a return visit! A beautiful place. What a gorgeous sunset shot xx

• June 9, 2014 / 8:55 PM

You must return, I bet not a lot has changed since then, it’s still got that sleepy ‘away from the rest of the world’ feel about it.
      I love returning.

That sunset was spectacular too, it made up for all the rain we got the following day :)

3. Wayne Evans
    June 6, 2014 / 2:26 PM

Your half term sounded as hectic as mine.

I have 3 growing girls (one called Mari too) with all the commitments that brings. Added to that there was a 10th birthday to celebrate and GCSE’s for my eldest daughter, which are continuing.

Sometimes I think my god when will it end… but that’s only 0.25% of me. The rest just loves it all and wants them to stay at these ages…

Thanks again for those lovely pictures too.

If you get a chance, come over and see us at http://www.howtoraisechildrensuccessfully.com

With love,

Wayne

• June 9, 2014 / 8:56 PM

I love a pebble beach too, in fact ANY beach will do for me :)

4. June 6, 2014 / 2:59 PM

This looks great Mari – I love the idea of the Art Shed and you can’t beat a spot of crabbing with kids. Much love xx

• June 9, 2014 / 8:57 PM

We weren’t very successful with the crabbing, must try again and go early as there were lots of ‘crabbers’ out that day

5. June 6, 2014 / 5:40 PM

Oh Mari, this has made me smile so much! This is one of our favourite parts of the UK and Combe Martin was where my OH and I spent our first holiday together camping in a teeny tiny tent – happy days!

• June 9, 2014 / 9:00 PM

How funny, you may have brushed past my husband as he spent most summers there with his family and later went down by himself or with a group of friends :)

6. June 6, 2014 / 5:57 PM

Devon is so so beautiful. I’m glad you had a great time and that beach looks like utter bliss. I could happily spend an entire day there x

• June 9, 2014 / 9:02 PM

I couldn’t agree more with you Carolin, the beach walk was quite amazing

7. June 6, 2014 / 7:54 PM

That looks just perfect – it looks like a beautiful area of the country. I’ve never been but it looks so pretty x x

• June 9, 2014 / 9:03 PM

It’s gorgeous Cass, a really pretty part of the world – add it to your Bucket List

8. June 6, 2014 / 8:10 PM

I so miss Devon! So lucky of you to have a caravan and being able to just drive to these wonderful places. The girls look like they have fun and those white house are just cute!

• June 9, 2014 / 9:03 PM

The caravan has enabled us to go to so many places, weekends away are really simple now. Can’t wait to go again

9. June 6, 2014 / 11:13 PM

Looks delightful, much love lady x

10. June 7, 2014 / 6:22 AM

We started half term in Devon – it is a great place. Looks like you visited some lovely places those flower pit men are ace.

• June 9, 2014 / 9:05 PM

Aren’t they fab? The girls loved that walk and were chuffed to by a flower pot lady to bring home for our garden

• June 9, 2014 / 9:05 PM

Thanks lovely, looking forward to seeing you very soon :)

11. June 7, 2014 / 9:13 AM

Wow what a gorgeous break, looks stunning x

12. June 7, 2014 / 11:18 AM

That looks totally idyllic. What an amazing holiday and I love those painted princesses! What a great memory to b ring home.

• June 9, 2014 / 9:06 PM

The princesses are siting on the bedside table and much loved I can tell you

13. June 7, 2014 / 4:32 PM

What a lovely half term trip. I need to visit Devon, it’s next on my list. x

14. June 7, 2014 / 10:45 PM

Devon and Cornwall will always remind of great holidays as a kid.I don’t think we visited where you went though.

15. June 8, 2014 / 7:49 AM

ooh it all looks lovely

16. June 9, 2014 / 8:50 PM

North Devon is such a beautiful part of the world! We camped in Dorset at half-term and loved that too.

• June 9, 2014 / 9:08 PM

I’d love to return to Dorset one day, we’ve been to West Bay and loved it. Watching Broadchurch took on a new meaning as we watched it