Summer salads: Jersey Potato, asparagus and 3 leaf salad

jersey potato asparagus and 3 leaf salad

“These are our salad days,” sang Spandau Ballet back in the day and now is the time of year when salads come into being and I love a good salad. I eat salad every day for lunch

Higgidy pies recently teamed up with Sarah Raven, the gardening people. They put their heads together and sent out to the blogging world a challenge ‘Make us the perfect salad to serve alongside a Higgidy pie’

Wonderful I thought, I’m in!

I was sent along a pack of lettuce seedlings to grow in my back garden, I put them in tubs and forgot to label them as I was in a hurry for the school run Big Mistake. I put them in a shady area and I waited for the risk of frost to go. I used a good compost and there was no need to water frequently as the weather turned and it rained every day.

growing salad

However, during all that rain we were visited. Frequently and I wasn’t paying attention, the slugs and snails got to two of my tubs! Ate the damn lot. so I popped them up on a metal fire pit that’s out of use at the moment hoping it would be too uncomfortable for them to climb up, it’s a bit rusty you see.

salad growing

Anyway, seeing as I wasn’t having much luck with my lettuce but wanting to take part in the challenge anyway I went out to buy some ingredients, I let my gut lead me and chose my favourite things that are very popular at the moment, asparagus, rocket, french beans and baby tomatoes, then I made my salad and it was really really good.

So now remains to choose which Higgidy pie I serve it with and having had a look at their website I’m going to choose the Chicken & Smoky Spanish Chorizo Pie because the delicate flavours of my salad will be the perfect backdrop to this punchy chicken pie.

[yumprint-recipe id=’34’]Here are a couple of other quick and easy salad ideas I shared last summer.

1. May 21, 2014 / 10:51 AM

apart from the egg, that salad looks amazing mari and perfect for a hot day like today x

• May 22, 2014 / 7:58 AM

Ohhh – no egg Jenny in this one?? Maybe you thought the Jersey potato was an egg?

2. May 21, 2014 / 11:23 AM

YUM! I love hearty salads like this. Chuck in a bit of tuna and you’d almost have a salad nicoise! :)

• May 22, 2014 / 7:59 AM

Mais oui! Maybe another time I will but this time I used it as an accompaniment to a main course

3. May 21, 2014 / 12:59 PM

Blinking slugs… Put a circle of pennies around the base of the plant, that should keep them off! (I use cent coins, they are worth less!) :D The salad looks delicious however, and we can get plenty of asparagus. I would have to make do with other kartoffels however, no Jersey royals here… xx

4. May 21, 2014 / 5:15 PM

Slugs are such a nuisance *bah*…. but the salad looks yummy scrum – it’s so the time of year for Jersey Royals, love them with lashings of butter!

5. May 21, 2014 / 7:36 PM

How dare those slugs and snails eat all your greens! What a shame! At least you were still able to pick up some delicious ingredients. I love salad and am trying to get into different dressings as I never feel that I get it right. Your salad looks delicious and I love a good drizzle of balsamic x

6. May 21, 2014 / 8:04 PM

That does look so lovely. I very rarely make salad as the husband grumbles at me as he prefers ‘real food’ but I think this might convince him to rethink

7. May 21, 2014 / 8:56 PM

I so plan to grow some of our own food when I have finished work. I think it is a great example for children.

8. May 22, 2014 / 2:18 AM

Ooh Mari, that sounds lush! All my favourite ingredients on one plate! x

9. May 22, 2014 / 8:26 AM

This looks absolutely delicious, Mari, and a perfect accompaniment to many a summer barbecue :-)
    Damn those slugs though!
    I’d really like to start growing my own vegetables, I think it’ll be such a good thing for my son to get involved in as well. What’s easy to start off with?

Sx

10. May 22, 2014 / 8:31 AM

This looks so good. I never think to have asparagus in a salad. Will have to give it a try.

11. May 22, 2014 / 10:02 AM