A half term holiday in Britain in February is never going to be 7 days of wall to wall sunshine, blue, blue skies and feeling hot, hot, hot. In fact we were wondering what on earth we’d do with ourselves for a week in Cornwall, Husband even contemplated if he should bring the portable heater with us, after all the weather in the south west has been particularly dreadful in recent weeks and after days of being ribbed off by his work colleagues who howled with laughter at the thought of us down here in gale force winds he thought we might need it.
Retallack is situated just of the A39 between Wadebridge and Newquay, a complex of 5 star wooden lodges that blend into the surrounding rolling hillside beautifully, a main building with reception, the swimming pool and gym, the spa and the Flow Rider – more about that later. This was our stunning view on the first morning.
Also we had James Nathan winner of the Masterchef 2008 on site in The Green Room restaurant. So a trip to his place was definitely on the cards and we were not disappointed, a superb meal and we were made to feel like VIP’s.
Question: How do we get to eat in The Green Room without the kids and no babysitters?
Answer: Retallack’s Kid’s Club.
Retallack have the brilliant idea of offering a Pyjama party night for the kids from 7 – 9pm, you take them along in their pyjamas and they have a fun movie night on beanbags whilst you enjoy some Grown Up time. I went for the prawn starter, pheasant breast for main and pecan and meringue for dessert, scrumptious.
There are activities running every day at Kid’s club, here are a few things the girls came home with from the Kids Club, Sweet Treats, Canvas painting and T shirt painting.
Our home was a 2 bedroom Rock lodge. It is lovely and spacious, as you walk in there is a very handy utility room with a washing machine which came in very handy indeed with dirty boots and wet coats. The Rock lodge has a lounge leading onto a balcony, a large kitchen with dining table, a walk in closet for ironing boards, bags, storage and a downstairs bathroom too. On the balcony to the back husband spotted an Outback BBQ which he was dying to get his hands on and is now on his wishlist.
There are many kinds of different lodges available, even ones with hot tubs on the terrace.
In the main building there is a small gym overlooking the fabulous family swimming pool. There is also a spa with a wonderful list of treatments.
I treated myself to an Aromaceane Body Wrap (1 hour 10 minutes = £69.00), I was coated in mud, wrapped head to toe in plastic which made me think of a CSI body bag – totally irrelevant – and left to relax before I showered off was massaged and returned to my family feeling Brand New. It’s a bit messy but well worth it. I also treated myself to a mini manicure with a lovely bright red Opi varnish and managed to scuff it before I’d even left the room but the lovely beauty therapist kindly mended me.
Retallack specialise in family holidays, for babies you will find baths and changing mats in each lodge, for toddlers, high chairs and cots on request and there is a fabulous park on site with a great zip wire our twins adored. Talking of twins, Retallack also specialise in twin holidays as they know the ins and outs of travelling with 2 little ones.
There is so much more to tell you so I’ll leave you with a list of the facilities on offer and come back in a few days time with a Flow Rider report – So Much Fun
Retallack resort facilities include
- Cornwall’s only FlowRider *
- FlowZone children’s soft play
- The Green Room restaurant – with Masterchef 2008 winner, James Nathan.
- Licensed coffee bar serving a selection of fresh smoothies, juices, beer, wine and Origin coffee
- Driftwood Lounge for enjoying food and drinks from The Green Room bar
- Sun terraces overlooking the FlowRider from where you can relax and enjoy drinks and a meal with friends
- Retreat Spa with 2 Beauty Treatment Rooms *
- 15m Indoor Heated Swimming Pool
- Eucalyptus Steam Room
- Scandinavian Sauna
- Matrix Fitness Suite featuring Matrix state of the art fitness equipment
- Spinning Studio
- Fitness Classes and Personal Training sessions *
- 9 hole par 3 golf course – equipment can be hired from the FlowZone
- 2 hard tennis courts – equipment can be hired from the FlowZone
- Acres of beautiful countryside perfect for woodland and lakeside walks as well as leisurely bike rides along our cycle trail
- Children’s outdoor play area with zip wire and complete soft surface
- Jelly Tots Crèche, Kids Club, Adventure Club and babysitting *
- Pool table and starlit X Box zone
- Changing facilities equipped with hair dryers, lockers, complimentary toiletries and swim suit spinner
- Plenty of parking available directly outside the facilities
* Please note, these facilities are chargeable as extra.
Our tips for a great Retallack stay
- You can take food with you or order a Tesco delivery for day of arrival online from the local Wadebridge store. Be warned there is no shop onsite for milk and other necessities.
- If you are travelling with twins in a buggy ask for a lodge at the top of the hill
- Book up any kid club activities along with your holiday so you don’t miss out
- Book up any spa treatments before you arrive to ensure you don’t miss out
- Book up your flow rider sessions before arrival and towards the beginning of the week as you will most likely want to go on again
- Don’t forget your dishwasher tablets and washing machine tabs – I did.
Disclosure: We were hosted in a Rock 2 bedroom lodge for 7 nights in self catering. Our kid’s club activities were also offered for the purpose of this review. I was given 20% off my spa treatments.