This is one of those meals you prepare and it cooks itself in the oven for about an hour, a one pot comfort meal that the whole family can enjoy. It’s economical using turkey steaks and potatoes as the main ingredients, it got thumbs up from the Mr and the kids in our house.
Turkey and potato bake
- 400g thinly sliced leeks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 850 ml skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 15g butter
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 800g thinly sliced potatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 400g turkey steaks cut into strips
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 50g grated Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190 C
- Gently fry the leeks and garlic in a little olive oil so they soften and put to one side
- Pour the milk into a saucepan, add the flour, butter, mustard, nutmeg and seasoning to taste and stir continuously over a medium heat until thickened.
- In a casserole dish layer potatoes, leeks, turkey strips and spinach ending with a layer of potatoes on top. Press down.
- Scatter over the cheese and bake with the lid on for 30 minutes
- Remove the lid and bake for another 30 minutes to brown the top
- Make sure you slice your potatoes thinly, if left too thick they won't cook all the way through.
- Can also be made with strips of chicken breast
And a photo of the meal served up