Best salmon fishcakes EVER – fact

salmon fishcakes

I’m telling you something dear reader, this time next year I will have managed to convince husband to allow me to invest in a second freezer and that freezer I will home in our garage even if it does need a complete electric overhaul at the moment.

That freezer will be home to bargains I discover on my supermarket travels like the one I found to squeeze in my teeny freezer just before Christmas; a whole salmon at less than half price!!

Now we all know you have to rotate your bargains in order to make the most of them, right? So when it was time for the salmon to come out I decided to cook it whole, we enjoyed half of it as a baked salmon with a lemon and black pepper breadcrumb rub and the other half I decided I wanted to make salmon fishcakes with

Now when I do fish I almost always like to add capers and anchovies – I can’t stop myself. They are two of my very favourite tastes and I tried freshly picked capers once in Puglia and there my love was born. Never again have I been without

TIP: when on the continent, stock up as they are cheaper than back home

You will see these fishcakes don’t take any time to prepare but they must rest in the fridge for an hour or so before frying so they don’t break up on cooking. They come up nice and big – look, precooked

salmon fishcakes

Serve with green veg or salad, add a sauce and you can leave out the capers and anchovies if they’re not for you.

[yumprint-recipe id=’20’]

1. February 2, 2014 / 12:12 AM

This sounds really good. I actually use anchovies quite a bit. When you cook them down they offer a really nice depth of flavor. Usually people cannot even tell that anchovies are one of the ingredients.

• February 11, 2014 / 9:58 PM

Very true, I always add them to a tomato and tuna pasta sauce to for extra depth of flavour

2. February 3, 2014 / 1:14 AM

Oh they look fab – and nice and thick too, perfect with some sweet chilli sauce! #hungry

3. February 3, 2014 / 9:52 PM

We don’t really eat Salmon because i don’t like the pink..it just looks a bit weird…to me.
    But they look amazing so might as well try it too.

• February 11, 2014 / 10:01 PM

You must try Otilia, salmon is one of my favourite things to eat

4. elisa
    February 11, 2014 / 11:30 AM

Love cooking so def going to try these! Would you believe I’ve never cooked fishcakes?!?! Bad me lol

• February 11, 2014 / 10:02 PM

I can believe it but once you see how simple they are to make AND quick you’ll be kicking yourself, trust me ;)

5. February 11, 2014 / 2:50 PM

Ooo, you culinary genius, I will definitely be giving this a whirl. Fishcakes are the one thing that my now-finicky three year old will eat without complaint but I’ve yet to come across a recipe to make them myself. Thanks!

• February 11, 2014 / 10:04 PM

For three year olds I would omit the capers and possibly anchovy – my girls (5) turned their noses up so I had to pick them all out ;)

6. sarahhillwheeler
    February 13, 2014 / 12:26 PM

Love anchovies too and strangely had never thought of adding them to fishcakes, must rectify. Friday Foodie.

7. July 26, 2014 / 4:56 PM

Whoever likes salmon should try this meal, it is delicious. Another great recipe from Marianne