The Troll – Julia Donaldson and David Roberts

The Troll book for kids

You may have guessed by now that I am a fan of Julia Donaldson’s books for children and The Troll is no exception.

I was interested to see a new (to me) illustrator David Roberts work in this one and the pictures are as colourful and fun as ever. I think David’s troll is quite adorable don’t you?

The story is told in rhyme about a troll who lives under a bridge – because that’s where trolls live and some pirates who are searching for treasure because that’s what pirates do. However the two worlds collide and things get a bit muddled up as the troll accidentally finds the pirate’s treasure instead of the goat.

Of course trolls are renowned for shouting out to people crossing over the bridge

the troll julia donaldson

which the girls LOVE reading out loud. The story is easy to follow and they both read it well on their own.

We talked about drawing treasure maps and what we’d like to find in the box. A brilliant idea for all pirate lovers out there.

Pirate activities

Red Ted Art has some fantastic ideas for making pirates and pirate related craft

Our children’s book reviews include:

Stick Man

Snuffles and the Cloud People

The Girl with a Brave Heart

Spaghetti with the Yeti

The Weasel, Puffin, Unicorn, Baboon, Pig, Lobster Race

Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link for your convenience

Kids Book A Week

1. January 15, 2014 / 10:55 AM

Wow is that the same lady who wrote the Gruffalo? We read it 5 times last night and he’s taken it to school for show and tell today. Interesting to see her work with a new illustrator. That troll looks like the chap in Despicable Me 2. Will keep an eye out for this in the book shops. Thanks.
    Liska xx

• January 15, 2014 / 2:17 PM

Ha! You think the troll looks like Gru? I love that comparison :) It’s another fantastic book and yes Julia Donaldson did write The Gruffalo, another firm favourite in our house

• January 15, 2014 / 2:17 PM

I knew I should have asked you first Maggy – I’ve added it into the post now :)

• January 15, 2014 / 2:39 PM

Oh you super star!!! :-) I need to get “back to” book/ crafting more!!!

2. January 15, 2014 / 2:14 PM

ooooh, hoe have I not heard of this book? It looks AMAZING!!

• January 15, 2014 / 2:18 PM

I found it on a supermarket shelf before Christmas and because I love all of her work I had to try it. We love it Emma, do invest, it’s a top story

3. January 15, 2014 / 3:12 PM

We only recently discovered The Troll and it is such a brilliant and clever book. Trolls and Pirates – what more can you ask for?! Thank you for joining in again with the #kidsbookaweek linky x

4. January 16, 2014 / 1:31 AM

Another one for our reading list. It’s actually the first time I have heard of this one x