When I was researching for my handy list of 10 things to make with a Bolognese sauce I mentioned my list to my brother who’s a chef and he said as quick as a flash ‘You’re missing Cowboy Stew.’
So I researched a little further and came across Corey’s recipe for Cheesy Crockpot Cowboy Casserole
I love that it’s a slow cooker recipe, I love that it’s so economical and tasty but I love the name which appeals to kids and dads too – apart from my girls who quickly renamed it cowgirl stew because we don’t do boys in this house.
Corey’s recipe is American and uses cups so I’ve converted her measurements and I’ve made a few subtle changes as I have no Mrs Dash but I would LOVE to try it out, anybody seen it in the UK?
This is a one pot meal, including beans, meat, potatoes and vegetables, sprinkled with a healthy handful of grated cheese before serving I think the family will love it.
Yeee-ha! (Had to be done)
- 500g minced beef
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp fajita smokey BBQ flavouring
- 500g red potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper - diced (optional)
- 1 tin cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tin chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 tin sweetcorn
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- Grated cheddar cheese to serve on top
- Brown off the mince and drain any excess fat off.
- Sweat the onion until soft and golden.
- Place all of the ingredients except the cheese in your slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Serve in bowls and top with freshly grated cheese.
- The red pepper was my addition as I had it in the fridge and wanted to use it up, I don't think real cowboys would mind.
- You could spice this up with 1 tsp chilli flakes in the mix for a Cowboy Stew with a kick.
- You could use a tin of baked beans instead of the red kidney beans