I’ve been meaning to try this idea for a while now, to flavour the mash on a fish pie and blow me I sat watching Jamie Oliver’s show a couple of weeks ago and he flavoured his mash with peas! What a brilliant idea right? So what was stopping me from trying my version?
I had a read through Jamie’s recipe and nodded my head at lots of the ingredients but the cooking method had every pan in the house out and a lot of faffing about which I’m not keen on when in a hurry to get a meal on the table.
So here is how I made my fish pie with a pesto flavoured crispy topped mash
- 1 kg potatoes
- 40g butter
- 1 small jar of pesto
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 onions peeled and chopped finely
- olive oil
- 500g of frozen fish (I used pollock and salmon) defrost
- 100g frozen spinach
- 150g frozen cooked mixed seafood
- 1 large teaspoon of English mustard
- 50g Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lt of white sauce - see microwave white sauce blog post
- 100g breadcrumbs
- Black pepper
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan) gas mark 4.
- Peel the potatoes, cut into chunks and cover in a large pan with salted water. Boil for 15 minutes or until tender then drain and mash with the butter.
- Once a good mash is obtained add the small jar of pesto and mix in well distributing the flavour throughout evenly.
- Saute the onions and carrots on a low heat so they soften but don't colour for a good 15 minutes.
- Chop up your defrosted frozen fish into bite size chunks and add to the onions and carrots cooking slowly.
- Make your white sauce in the microwave as explained above or use a jar of ready made, add it to the carrot and fish mixture.
- Add the frozen spinach and stir until mixed in well.
- Add the frozen seafood, the mustard and the cheese. Stir gently and place in your pie dish
- Cover with the pesto mash and scuff it up with a fork to give it more texture.
- Mix your breadcrumbs with lots of freshly grinded black pepper and the lemon zest, sprinkle liberally all over the pesto mash
- Bake in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes
- Mixed seafood can be changed with frozen prawns, if added at the last minute, the baking time will ensure they are cooked and they won't become too tough.
Cooking the mix before adding it to the dish
The finished pie out of the oven
Slicing into it