Fish pie with a pesto flavoured crispy topped mash

fish pie with crispy pesto mash

I’ve been meaning to try this idea for a while now, to flavour the mash on a fish pie and blow me I sat watching Jamie Oliver’s show a couple of weeks ago and he flavoured his mash with peas! What a brilliant idea right? So what was stopping me from trying my version?

I had a read through Jamie’s recipe and nodded my head at lots of the ingredients but the cooking method had every pan in the house out and a lot of faffing about which I’m not keen on when in a hurry to get a meal on the table.

So here is how I made my fish pie with a pesto flavoured crispy topped mash

[yumprint-recipe id=’3′]Here’s a couple of photos

fish pie with pesto crispy mash

Cooking the mix before adding it to the dish

fish pie with crispy pesto mash

The finished pie out of the oven

fish pie with pesto crispy mash

Slicing into it

1. October 4, 2013 / 9:24 PM

That sounds (and looks) amazing! :)

• October 5, 2013 / 10:55 AM

Thanks and it was delicious too, I’ll definitely try different flavours for the mash in future, it worked well

2. October 5, 2013 / 8:52 AM

Loving the recipe and loving your dish even more!

• October 5, 2013 / 10:56 AM

I found my dish in Sainsbury’s and it does make a wonderful oven to table dish.

3. October 5, 2013 / 8:55 AM

ooooh Mari, that looks amazing, and I do love your dish too. x

• October 5, 2013 / 10:58 AM

Thank you, if you are fish pie fans give this one a go as it’s really easy and the dish was from Sainsbury’s ;)

4. October 5, 2013 / 9:27 AM

That looks so tasty, I love Jamie’s recipes and I’m very much like him every pan out and hubby is always waiting to wash them up for me ;) x

• October 5, 2013 / 10:59 AM

Ha MY husband complains so much about extra pans, he’s got me working out of the minimum possible and I must admit the clearing up afterwards is always a drag.

• October 5, 2013 / 11:00 AM

I did add the whole jar and it worked well not too overpowering and enough to make the taste present, shame that cutting through the pie, the photo I took doesn’t reflect how much fish is there, I think it all looks a bit too potato-y, oh well I’ll have to make another and take another photo of that bit!

5. October 5, 2013 / 9:41 AM

Looking delicious and the heart dish makes it so lovely when serving at the table too

• October 5, 2013 / 11:01 AM

The heart dish was from Sainsbury who do a fab selection that don’t cost an arm and a leg either. Perfect for oven to table recipes

6. October 5, 2013 / 11:13 AM

That looks absolutely delicious! I love both fish pie and pesto, sounds like the perfect combination. Will definitely try. xx

7. October 5, 2013 / 11:23 AM

Very clever Mari! A nice Italian twist on an old favourite. x

8. October 5, 2013 / 11:25 AM

Oh Mari, what a delicious looking fish pie! I absolutely love the taste of pesto and sometimes use it myself as a salad dressing, but I bet it tastes amazing on a fish pie. This is on my ‘must try’ list! Thanks for sharing.

9. October 5, 2013 / 9:46 PM

I have never thought of flavouring my mash with anything other than cheese before, what a fantastic idea and it looks delicious, thank you for sharing.

10. October 6, 2013 / 5:26 PM

I love fish pie and always do a Jamie version from one of his early programmes. This can go on the menu this week :-)

11. October 6, 2013 / 11:42 PM

That looks great and sounds delicious. I love pesto! Husband made the Jamie Oliver fish pie with pea mash here the other week and it was lovely (the mash did a look bit alien like with its green colour from the peas though!)
    Tasted delicious though and that’s what matters!
    Will definitely try pesto one soon!

12. October 7, 2013 / 9:50 AM

I never make fish pie, but occasionally when I’m served it, if it’s a good one, I love it, so I might try this – yours looks great!