EE broadband – don’t do it, it’s a mess.

I don’t use my blog to rant about things very often but when you’re driven to breaking point and in a helpless situation then maybe it’s time to let EVERYONE know what a crap service some suppliers out there are offering.

It all started when I was due my T Mobile upgrade back in July. I was staying at mum’s visiting Nottingham with her (beautiful town by the way) and whilst she looked after the twins for me I popped into the store to enquire.

With T Mobile (now EE) stores up and down the country I wasn’t to know that I’d have been better off going to my local store.

A very pretty assistant helped me, I mentioned I wanted to upgrade to an iPhone as I’d never had one and was curious to see the difference.

I have been a client with T Mobile for 5 years but still I had to change plan (it was going to cost more) and I could only get the iPhone 4 not the 4s or above.

No information on the difference between the 4 and 4s was given just the fact I would have to pay an extra £69 so as this was getting more and more expensive by the moment I opted not to.

I would later discover the Fitbug app doesn’t work on the iPhone 4!

Would I like to pay £10 insurance A MONTH for my brand new iPhone in case I dropped it?

I opted not to as personally I think £10 a month is extortionate.

I wasn’t given any demonstration on how to use my iPhone.

Do I have broadband at home?

Yes I do, I work from home and need it, I’m currently with Virgin Media. (This piece of information will come VERY relevant later on)

Would I like to change to EE and save myself a fortune?

Can I do that?

Yes we will sort out the switch over for you, you won’t have to worry about a thing. Do you have a BT landline connection?

Yes I think so but I’m not sure it’s working. We’ve never used it since we moved in and it wasn’t used previously as the owners were on Sky.

We can check that for you.

So you’re telling me you will swap my accounts from Virgin to EE and I will have the same service as I enjoy now and I will save money too?

Yes, I saved about 50% off my bill in the last year, it’s brilliant.

Ok then. Let’s go ahead only thing is I’m on holiday next week for three weeks and won’t be back until the end of August. I don’t want it starting up until September, will this be a problem?

No, no problem at all, I’ll sort out all the paperwork for you to sign today and it’ll be set up for you when you’re back from your holiday.

Current situation

I wish I’d never done it.

It was set up whilst I was away on holiday and charged too. In fact I am currently paying TWO suppliers, Virgin and EE.

PLUS my broadband is very intermittent and my phone works and then doesn’t work. I imagine the BT connection is faulty or broken and needs replacing.

My 93 year old grandmother tried to contact me 3 times on Wednesday and didn’t get through once hearing only an unobtainable sound.

Action taken to resolve the situation

First I phone the 0800 number for customer services as my phone wasn’t working and I hadn’t realised I could use the 150 option on my mobile. I was asked to select a lot of options and finally spoke to a man in India in the technical department. I struggled to understand him and asked to speak to someone who could help me explaining my problem. I got cut off.

I phoned a second time, went through all the choices and got through to another lady in India, the line was so bad I couldn’t hear her, I mentioned this and she cut me off.

Not going well so far.

I phoned for a third time, I chose different numbers this time, sod it I need to speak to someone and I got through to customer services in Rotherham (I think) but at least I could understand. I spoke to a lady, told her my problem and she was very nice. She asked me to hold the line whilst she put me through to someone

…in India. I asked this person kindly to put me through to a department in the UK who could help me with my problem please. I promise I asked nicely even though I was losing my rag.

The connection was lost so I re-called customer services. I was firmer this time and at this point said. I wish I’d never bothered.

“I’ll put you through to cancelling then.’

Where I was informed, ‘Yes you can cancel but we will have to charge you £129.00 cancellation fee.’

‘WHY?’

Because you signed the contract.

But this isn’t what I had signed for at all.

I was told lots of notes were written on the system on my account and I left the conversation very frustrated as I wasn’t getting anywhere.

I try working off my EE router, I have no landline. The connection comes and goes, I spend one hour with no connection as the router tries to find the signal again.

I phone customer services I speak to someone who gives me the name Jed, again in cancelling. A nice man, he listens carefully. He understands, he can’t find any notes written only a log of when I have called. I plead with him to write notes so whoever I speak to will know and save me the problem of re-telling the whole story.

He says I should never have been sold the service in the first place as we can’t do Virgin.

He advises me to go into my EE store and claim for a miss-sale.

This morning I visited my EE store at Bluewater, I spoke to a very nice man who listened and said he couldn’t take my router off of me as they don’t have anything to do with EE broadband.

But Jed told me I could, he advised me to follow this route!

Sorry, there’s nothing I can do.

Can you write notes on the system for me so there is a log of my actions?

No we don’t have access to those systems I’m afraid.

So you can sell the products to your clients but you can’t do anything about it afterwards, not even take back the router off me and give me a receipt for it?

No, sorry.

I return home with my router, my two suppliers and no better off than I was 10 days ago plus nothing logged anywhere.

So this blog will act as my log and EE I want to cancel my contract with you.

I have been told by your customer services I have been miss -sold this product, I have been told by customer services that I won’t be charged for this month as I need to get the problem sorted.

I have been advised by your cancellation team that I should put it all in writing and send a letter in to them in order to make a claim for your cancellation fee of £129.00 and they will see if I am applicable or not. I shall be putting it to my twitter followers too to see what they think?

EE, £129 is a week’s shopping for me, you’ve already taken a monthly rate out of my account when I wasn’t even set up, I think you’ve had enough of my money for a service you can’t give, don’t you?

I’m linking this post up with the famous Mummy Barrow’s Ranty Friday she’s even on the Alan Titchmarsh show today at 3pm, do watch out for her, she’s amazing and lovely too

1. This is absolutely and utterly preposterous! I remember having major issues with Virgin back in June because they couldn’t supply the new area that I was moving to (from Berkshire to Somerset) and, because I then had to cancel my contract THEY wanted to charge ME. I told them it was them not me who wasn’t keeping to the contract, it was them. I then had MAJOR problems with Sky (a long story) so I went back to BT who, the second time around, were FAR better than the first. I really feel for you – I hope you are giving them a battering on Twitter!

2. Ohh no! What a nightmare!!

Hope you get it sorted soon x

3. Wow :(

4. Holy… what an absolute nightmare. I do hope you get it sorted out soon.
    I’m hearing so many bad things about EE and I recently became an EE mobile customer, moving from Orange, I hope I don’t have to contact customer services myself!

5. This is outrageous! I feel so angry for you. Not the first time I have heard bad things about EE. I will be steering clear of them that’s for sure. I will watch out for your tweets and re-tweet. Hope they start to listen.

6. Flipping heck what a run-around you’ve been given! They’re supposed to be providing you with a service, not making you do all of the running around. I’m with Primus – a little known company for both my broadband and telephone and have had no problem with them. Really hope this gets sorted for you.

7. Why are phone and internet suppliers a nightmare? I have just had a nightmare trying to cancel my Virgin contract so I feel for you. Fingers crossed EE finally cancel your contract soon

8. Thank you for your kind words!

What a nightmare. We are over a barrel with these companies and I wish more was done by Trading Standards or the OFT about them. They are con artists. They rip off people and don’t deliver on their promises. And they just shrug their shoulders and say “well you signed the contract”.

It’s a joke

Except it really isn;t funny.

9. Ooooooooooh, don’t get me started on EE… I had a hurrendous experience with them after they persuaded me to go on their broadband. I was left without for 6 weeks in the end and they gave me a “courtesy” dongle to use in the meantime which they ended up charging me for. Got my money back in the end but they did not make it easy. I laugh now, they said my broadband would be down for 5 minutes while they transferred. LIES. Hope you get is sorted xx

10. Had similar issues with Pipex (swore I’d never repeat that name again in my lifetime) a few years back. What a nightmare. Eventually got debt collection letters! Grrrr

11. I have to say Virgin and T-Mobile are the worst customer service experiences I have ever had. Just this March it took me over 3 weeks to be able to use my new phone I had from them as an upgrade (and that was without any broadband nonsense thrown in too!). I am fairly certain that since they merged with Orange and became EE, it is much worse and I too had the problem of people on the phone line saying one thing and in store doing something completely different and remember on more than one occasion walking into the store full of hopeful excitement and walking out in despair (one shop even told me (after queuing for 15 mins!) I had to go 3 doors down for service because they were ex-Orange and I needed an ex-T-Mobile shop – even though they are now both EE!). I dread having to make contact with either of those companies again.

I feel for you Mari and sorry you are dealing with this. I hope it gets sorted for you soon

12. Wish I’d read this first before buying an EE dongle.
    Cant get my credit into data and cant get my money back.
    Tried to register online and guess what? they send a pin number to the dongle!! Been trying to cajole the dongle to tell me what it is but its not saying (funny that!)

EE should have “by gum” after its name.
    So will write off the £20 quid and throw the dongle in the nearest river!!

13. I am in kind of the same situation, I got EE broadband and phone, they told me I would save lots by swapping from Talk Talk, so as most people do, I swapped. Ok everything was fine the 1st month, after that the internet kept dropping and there was a crackling on the phone all the time. So I contacted EE customer care (thats a joke) I went through lots of people, until a guy from India told me he would send a engineer out to see what the problem was…. This engineer turned up and had not a clue what he was doing, i explained to him that I think its the connection to the master socket thats causing the problems, he nearly bit my head off saying he is the expert.
    So cutting a long story short, Im moving back to BT as they have offered me a even better deal. Today is the day that im calling EE to tell them to stick their contact where the sun dont shine, Seems alot of people are getting sucked into EE, I was told its a UK customer care center, im not rasist but i cant understand a thing they say.
    So avoid them

14. Looks like I’m not the only 1 being missold. But has any1 actuallly succeeded to getting refund and ending contract without having to pay?

15. Hi, my virgin media connection keeps dropping. I was thinking of going to EE but after reading this, I don’t know what to do. thanks!!!! x

16. Got almost the same issue, what was the outcome please after your rant? john

• After many many phone calls and a lot of wasted time I managed to get my money back but I had to write to customer services the address is very difficult to find, a technician gave it to me. I had to prove I had been mis-sold the product, once they were satisfied I got a full refund. Good luck it’s an exhausting process.

17. I switched from Virgin Media to EE and wish I hadn’t. I have had their services from March 28th onwards and was not told that I had to cancel my contract with Virgin Meida personally. I have been paying 2 providers for over a month and only found out by chance when checking my bank statement this morning. I am taking this further as I don’t want other people to be taken in. Imagine if I hadn’t noticed! I could have been paying 2 suppliers forever. Get your act in order EE. I would not recommend your services.

18. Got sucked into making EE order for broadband and telephone. MoneySavingExpert gave ‘em an “unbelievably cheap” rating if you account for the £100 Amazon voucher on offer via MSE website.
    14 days EE cooling off. So Talktalk retentions made an even better offer. I phone EE
    customer services giving the EE order No to cancel. “We don’t do that here, I will put you through to the sales department”. Waited 1 hr in vain, with dreadful distorted music.
    Yet another company offering the earth to join them and blanking you if you change your mind.
    Nice welcome email pack says you have 14 days. Don’t be fooled. If you think you
    may need to cancel and don’t have EE mobile you will need their cancellation form.
    Google it! T1460 EE Cancellation Form Letter v3
    fill out lower section and post before the timeline expires & send preferably by recorded post to:

EE Broadband Customer Care, PO Box 486, Rotherham, S63 5ZX

Any other way you will find gets ignored.
    Don’t bother emailing channel.returns@ee.co.uk as they do mobile cancelations only.

Like Music? To cancel a Home Broadband order, contact EE Sales Team on 0844 873 8586

Independent complaint advice