Camping La Briquerie – Honfleur, France

camping la briquerie, normandy france

Having bought our first caravan on eBay last year we were determined to get the most out of it this summer. After a successful tow to Devon in June we wanted to travel further afield for our summer break but not too far. With that in mind we decided on campsites in Normandy, France about a 3 hour drive from the EuroTunnel.

TIP – If thinking of visiting the continent book your EuroTunnel VERY early on to assure of best crossing times

Our criteria was a campsite with a swimming pool – one with chutes and slides to keep the girls amused, a bar, shop and evening entertainment and close enough to the local beaches.

Paul searched Visit Normandy and using their camping tab he came across Camping La Briquerie. A click on the website proved to tick all our boxes so we booked for 3 weeks in August for the amazing price of circa €850.00 on a pitch with 10 amp electricity connection.

camping la briquerie normandy

Our journey was longer than Google had decided due to towing the caravan and I wish I’d printed off the last part of the journey in more detail as Google maps took us through the busy centre of Honfleur much to the annoyance of tourists, locals and a wedding party of about 10 cars bibbing their way through the bustling centre!

honfleur france vieux bassin

TIP – Print off a detailed map of the last stretch of your journey and look for the simplest route for towing a caravan

We arrived on a busy August day with the season in full swing, check in was simple and quick with a request of a €10 deposit for the bands allowing entrance to the swimming pool. Having paid our 30% deposit on booking we’d settle the bill at the end of our stay.

curly chute

Our pitch was fantastic, hedged on three sides giving just the right amount of privacy. Each area has it’s own fresh water tap and drain for throwing waste water away plus the electric hook up

TIP – Don’t forget to buy a continental adaptor for your electrical hook up

Shower blocks are a few pitches away and are cleaned twice a day but they do not supply toilet roll. The showers are individual units, each with a ‘dry’ area for changing before and after. Each cubicle which is fully closed off has hangers to hang clothes on and a shelf for your products. The showers were a good blast on a timer but long enough for rinsing and washing, the water was also the perfect temperature.

I understand from other Brits we got talking to that the second block on the campsite has been completely renovated and they were very impressed with them.

poolside camping la briquerie

Swimming pool

Excellent, two indoor pools which are heated, a child one and a larger one for swimming lengths. An outside pool with a fabulous curled chute leading into one end and two more bumpy slides with a separate landing pool – plus cute lifeguards as eye candy.

camping la briquerie, Normandy

There is a bar selling soft drinks, ice creams and accessories all reasonably priced too.

Shop

A tiny shop onsite which also sell drinks, ice creams, crepes made to order and has a selection of necessities but with a hypermarket within walking distance of the campsite open  7 days a week you are never far from stocking up your supplies

briquerie shop

TIP – Hypermarket closes Sunday afternoon at 12.45

Restaurant and Bar

There is a restaurant onsite which also serves take away food, we tried the pizzas and chips on our first night and were very satisfied.
The bar is also where the evening entertainment is held, the mini disco doesn’t start until 8.30pm and is followed immediately by the adult entertainment. The entertainment is mainly in French but a huge effort was made by the team to include us and other non French speaking guests. A lot of fun and very French.

take away menu - france

Mini golf

If you’re a competitive player this is not for you! An old set up where some of the pitches are broken or don’t work at all but we took the girls on a couple of occasions and they thoroughly enjoyed it. We were asked to leave a €50 deposit for the clubs which was returned but we thought was a bit steep after seeing the state of the course.

Musculation – fitness

I knew that at some point musculation would become a word and I found it here at Camping La Briquerie! A centre with a good collection of varying weight machines. The site also has a jacuzzi and a sauna.

musculation

Washing machines

A clean room with washing machines and dryers, I used machine 3 which required a €4 token bought from reception

TIP – Pack washing powder and fabric conditioner for one or two washes rather than having to buy large packs

WiFi

Camping La Briquerie has Wifi which should cover the entire site. It is free of charge, you ask for a password and login details at reception which is given for your entire stay however I was only able to use this on our pitch a few times as connection was very temperamental, I had much more luck logging in around the swimming pool, in the games room next to the reception or of course at the bar; ‘Un cafe au lait s’il vous plait madam’ ;)

Kid’s club

We didn’t use the kid’s club until our last week as more often than not we were out and about but once we started we wished we’d used it more often. The girls loved it and each day crafts were done. They came home with masks and pretty coloured salt bottles too. I’m wondering if these are the moments (plus the swimming pool) that the girls will remember most when we talk about France?

masks

What to do and see in Normandy?

Honfleur – beautiful coastal town with fabulous market 10 minutes
Trouville/ Deauville – Very popular beach towns 20 minutes
Arromanches/ D-Day beaches – 90 minutes
Giverny – Visit Claude Monet’s home and gardens 100 minutes
Bayeaux tapestry
Caen
Rouen
Mont St Michel –  3 hours

I will add links as I write the posts up for more information

1. Mary at Keynko
    September 4, 2013 / 8:30 AM

Sounds like an excellent campsite! I spent many happy holidays as a child in camping Normandy and it looks as though your girls had as much fun as I remember having!

• September 5, 2013 / 6:09 PM

They loved it Mary and I’m sure we’ll be taking plenty more camping holidays as it is such good fun and such an excellent way to see places

2. September 4, 2013 / 8:42 AM

This place looks fab! I remember going to Honfleur when I was a lot younger and it looks as gorgeous as ever x

• September 5, 2013 / 6:09 PM

Utterly beautiful Alice, I took far too many photos but I do that all the time :)

3. AnnieMammasaurus
    September 4, 2013 / 9:35 AM

Looks super Mari – and what a great price for 3 weeks! Love the scenery – somewhere we’d like to go to in the future having read some posts from your holiday!

• September 5, 2013 / 6:10 PM

Normandy really merits a visit, plenty to do and see and lifetime memories to be made too

4. Andrea
    September 4, 2013 / 10:48 AM

Looks great! We are hoping to get a caravan in the next couple of years so I shall be closely following your adventures! I never thought of travelling abroad with it though.

• September 5, 2013 / 6:11 PM

We will most likely upgrade the van now we know we all like it and even with our old ‘girl’ it was easy to tow (we have a Citroen Picasso) it took longer which is why we didn’t want to go to far, I imagine we’ll be going further afield next year or doing a two destination break

5. September 4, 2013 / 10:51 AM

Sounds like you had a fab holiday. I’ve looked at these parks in France when my children were younger, but never actually went. Mine are getting a bit old for this kind of holiday now, but I think I could enjoy it ;-)

• September 5, 2013 / 6:12 PM

Even as we were packing up the site was still full with couples with no children who wanted to visit the area. I cannot fault the park at all

6. September 4, 2013 / 12:35 PM

This sounds like the ideal campsite – pools with slides and cute lifeguards!
    I’m just picturing your driving through Honfleur: hoe embarrassing. Reminds me of many years ago taking the wrong road in Pisa and driving through the cobbled marketplace and right past the Leaning Tower – all eyes upon us!

• September 5, 2013 / 6:14 PM

Yes! We made sure not to take that route back and we’re lucky to have not ruined the caravan but you live and learn. Husband is already pouring over the map of an evening thinking about next summer, possibly Dordogne but who knows?

7. September 4, 2013 / 9:03 PM

That river pic is just gorgeous, as is the pretty little shop! It’s always great to get holiday reviews of places people have enjoyed :)

• September 5, 2013 / 6:14 PM

I’d definitely return it was really lovely and not too far away for our first time abroad with the caravan.

8. September 4, 2013 / 10:32 PM

You sound like you got a lot for your money. We need to take our tent abroad – which was the idea when we bought it. Sounds like you stayed at a great place. Thank you for sharing your tips too.

• September 5, 2013 / 6:15 PM

You’re welcome and I’d definitely try it if I were you, there were loads of campers there, it works as a fantastic base to visit the area from

9. Julie
    September 5, 2013 / 4:02 PM

Me again – can’t believe I wrote way back on your original post about the ‘van. Sooo, am slowly convincing DH that we need one too and we are about to holiday in a static one soon so all going to plan (mwah mwah!). I have another question about buying on ebay. I see you checked it out in person – did you know what you were doing? Did you know what to look for in terms of damp/roadworthiness/fallingapartpossibility? Did you take someone with you? What age range were you looking for? Thanks for your knowledge as always, wise one :-)

• September 5, 2013 / 6:20 PM

In a word no, we didn’t know what we were doing but armed with common sense we took a look, luckily for us the woman was really helpful, she opened doors, cupboards, showed us how the beds were made, gave us the history of the guy she bought it from, showed us the few defects the van had but told us it was nothing to worry about.

As for the damp, the van had a history of it and we could see where it had been treated, saw the certificate to say it had been done professionally and even the marks left behind. On storing this winter we were concerned so put down special bowls of salt for that purpose and luckily had no damp at all.

We liked the people selling and felt they were telling the truth so we decided to buy. I have no idea if we could have got it for less but it all works, heating too and we’re delighted with it.

We didn’t want to spend too much first time round just in case it wasn’t our thing we had a max budget of £2,500. Our van is old but roadworthy with service history. I reckon we’ll hopefully get £1500 – 2000 when we upgrade in the new year, it’ll be interesting to see.
      Hope that helps

• Julie
        September 5, 2013 / 7:31 PM

That’s really helpful thanks. It looks in really good nick from the pictures :)
        (And meant to say in last post that the holiday looked amazing!)

10. September 6, 2013 / 1:02 PM

We just got back from Normandie and also loved Honfleur. Great post!

11. September 7, 2013 / 8:11 PM

Honfleur is a true gem of Normandy. We’re campsite fans but I must confess to wanting the air conditioned mobile homes during the heat of summer

12. September 8, 2013 / 12:45 PM

Sounds like you had a great time and picked a great place to stay. Honfleur is really beautiful too.