BritMums Live 2013 – what I take home this year

britmums live 2013Wowzers what a weekend, what a fabulous conference to be part of, what a great group of people I got to mix with, maybe I didn’t get to speak with all 500+ of them but I gave it my best shot.

BritMums Live 2013 for me meant work as being part of the BritMums team I gladly gave up my time to help out wherever I could. I was given the main room in the house to run (the one in the photo here – big isn’t it?) and on the whole I think I did a pretty good job, the blisters on my feet are sign that I certainly worked my butt off!

The past couple of months have been spent looking after the administration for the BritMums BiBs awards 16 categories of different kinds of blogs with shortlisted, finalist lists and then the winners. It’s been a very busy time and I have discovered some amazing new blogs and nodded my head at many of the judges final decisions.

waiting for BiBs results

As much as I love being part of the BritMums team there’s the other part of me that would just love to sit back and enjoy the conference, go to the sessions that I like best, sit and drink with my bloggie mates and be able to visit the sponsors. TK Maxx were there offering a stylist consultation, I’d have loved to have done that! Royal Caribbean Cruises were there – I mean who wouldn’t want to talk to them and flutter their eyelids???

michelle garrett

Fortunately I did manage to say a quick hi to the Butlins team who I’ve worked with for two years now and I did manage a quick chat with the Panasonic team who had all of their kitchen equipment on show and their cameras which are utterly gorgeous. All the photos I took at BritMums Live are on my tiny Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3 – I even gave it to the girls to try out recently remember? But I would love to try a bigger camera out and really push myself in the photography area.

hedwig owl harry potter

Also being part of the admin for the BiBs and the BritMums team means I couldn’t ask for Mari’s World to be nominated for an award, which if I’m honest with you I’d love to win an award – who wouldn’t? So these are the two downsides of working at a conference such as BritMums.

katie piper

But on the plus side

1. I met Katie Piper, I listened with immense admiration to her powerful presentation and vowed to make room on Mari’s World for her charity helping others with disfigurement Katie Piper Foundation.
  2. I hugged many, many of my bloggie mates, I went for a pizza with some too. Online friendships became real and friendships I have already formed became stronger.
  3. I met new bloggers – hundreds of them and all so very, very lovely
  4. I introduced all the sessions in the main room on the microphone in front of huge crowds, I even pronounced Jaume Marin’s name wrong! (marketing director of Costa Brava Tourist Board)
  5. I had a fabulous lunch with HomeSenseUK and am lucky enough to be one of their chosen bloggers to start spreading the word, more of that to come soon
  6. By listening in on the sessions and discussions around me I understand where to go with Mari’s World from here, how to make it better both for you the reader and for me the author and more importantly the passion for writing a book has been fired up again and soon I shall be joining a writing group to improve those skills too.

So if you are thinking of blogging let me assure you it’s therapeutic to get words off your chest and on to paper, the community is a loving, caring one and there are brands jumping to work with you and help spread the word, get in touch if you need any tips, I’ll gladly help you start up.

Thanks to Jen Howze and Susanna Scott for making BritMums Live possible and round of applause to the ladies who we don’t see but put in an enormous amount of work to make sure it all works on the day.

• June 24, 2013 / 8:49 PM

Lovely to see you too, you looked fab as always and like you say BRILLIANT weekend xx

1. caro_mad
    June 24, 2013 / 2:42 PM

It was so lovely to finally get to meet you and you are just as lovely in real life as online :) Already looking forward to next year. Well done for doing such a fantastic job. Big thumbs up for you x

• June 24, 2013 / 8:50 PM

And you are a treasure, I was so happy we actually met and hugged, this is the kind of thing that made my BritMums Live for me this year x

2. sonya
    June 24, 2013 / 4:51 PM

What an amazing job you did! I had an incredible weekend, thanks to all on the BritMums team for making it possible xx

• June 24, 2013 / 8:50 PM

So pleased I met you, please tell me you made the Editor photo??? I can’t remember who did and who didn’t xx

• sonya
        June 25, 2013 / 10:05 AM

Have no fear, my gurning face is in the editors pic! :)

• June 25, 2013 / 1:11 PM

Yay!!! I can’t wait to see them all :)

3. Jen Stanbrook
    June 24, 2013 / 5:18 PM

You did an amazing job Mari, always with a lovely smile on your face. Well done, the awards were incredible and I hope you’re proud of yourself :)

• June 24, 2013 / 8:51 PM

It was good wasn’t it? I loved it but I would have loved more time to socialise … on the other hand is there ever enough time for socialising. I talk far too much!

4. June 24, 2013 / 5:22 PM

Lovely to meet you (ever so briefly!!) It was a great night at the awards and the conference sounds like it was really brilliant! Well done for working so hard :)

• June 24, 2013 / 8:52 PM

and well done YOU!!!! Brilliant job of taking the award home and your blog is beautiful. So very pleased to have met you. Thank you for coming over x

5. Sarah Pylas
    June 24, 2013 / 9:03 PM

So lovely to meet you Mari, you did a fabulous job! Everytime I caught your eye, you were BEAMING! I had an amazing weekend and cannot wait until next year x

• June 25, 2013 / 8:56 PM

I’m still beaming now Sarah, didn’t we have a great time? You’re absolutely right – bring on next year :)

6. June 24, 2013 / 11:26 PM

It was a great weekend and I really enjoyed it, thank you for all your hard work. You did really well, running the main room.

• June 25, 2013 / 8:56 PM

I wish I’d had more time to talk to you. It was hard work – it took me till today (Tues) to get over it but so satisfying, meeting great bloggers and sharing our passion – what could be better?

• June 25, 2013 / 9:51 PM

I couldn’t agree more. I actually have found ‘me’ again, spending time with friends, peers, those that I admire, laughing, crying, chatting, thinking, not thinking!

Thanks to all of you.

7. MummyNeverSleeps
    June 25, 2013 / 2:23 PM

It was such a pleasure to finally meet you Mari, I think all your hard work definitely paid off, you did a super job :)

• June 25, 2013 / 8:58 PM

I am so pleased to have met you. You have a brilliant blog, you put into words my thoughts, I am you when I read it and I love that. Don’t ever stop x

8. June 25, 2013 / 7:47 PM

You really did a FANTASTIC JOB! I am just sad didn’t get to spend more time with you! November though right? :D

• June 25, 2013 / 8:58 PM

November is a date honey, we will organise with military precision weeks in advance and we will conquer. Enjoy Tokyo lucky girl xx

9. June 25, 2013 / 8:19 PM

Sorry I didn’t get a chance to meet you, sounds like you were super busy. I had to avoid Royal Caribbean because of those huge costumes freak me out – I did flutter my eyes at Panasonic though and tell them how much a bread maker would change my life. Had an amazing 1st experience of Britmums – hope to meet you at the next xx

• June 25, 2013 / 9:00 PM

Ahhh, another great blogger I missed. Can’t believe the costumes freak you out LOL, I didn’t get to see them :( Good for you for chatting with Panasonic they are BRILLIANT to wrok with so I wish you all the best with that – we must meet next year xx

10. K J S
    June 25, 2013 / 9:32 PM

Great post Mari, and happy you had fun despite working so hard! Would have loved to come and meet you all but as you know, Bon Jovi won… ;) xx

11. Jennypaulin
    June 25, 2013 / 10:24 PM

you looked so stunning Mari and always seemed busy whenever i saw you. well done on all your hard work and for being as lovely in real life as I knew you would be x x

12. June 27, 2013 / 4:22 PM

Thank you so much Mari for all your hard work over the weekend – it certainly paid off! I had an amazing time and the main room certainly looked worth all the effort :) I was thrilled to be included as a finalist and your kind smile on arrival at The Brewery meant a lot – everyone was so friendly! Here’s to next year….