Caravan holidays – Cosgrove Park, Milton Keynes

caravan without awning up

This weekend was the culmination of tremendous, detailed research for Other Half. For over a year now he has been watching items on eBay. Not any old items – all different models of caravans. He’s searched by price, by distance to all manner of complex tactics. However last week when Terry Towbar finally came over and kitted our car out with the latest in towbars (cost £260 if anyone’s thinking of doing it) OH became a man with a mission.

A dream he’s had since he was a boy spending his own summers caravanning with the family was about to come true, he would own his very own caravan. He has been nudging me for the past twelve months to look at the various models he came across but I wouldn’t give him too much interest until it was time to actually go ahead and choose. So two weeks ago when he showed me one of his preferences, I looked and thought ‘yep, that looks ok.’ Time for a viewing.

Off we went last Saturday to view and we left £100 deposit we were so impressed.

This weekend, we picked her up and booked into Cosgrove Park which is just outside Milton Keynes to try her out and make sure everything was working.

Caravan - girls area

Only five minutes down the road from picking our van up we missed our turning! So OH decided to turn into the first residential street to do a 3 point turn. I panicked, screamed a little bit, told him he was wrong, wrong, wrong and almost burst into tears. He kept quiet, turned the car and caravan around much to the delight of the residents and the queues of cars lined up on either side of us and my relief and off we went again.

Cosgrove park campsite

Our stunning view of the lake

Cosgrove Park, our first campsite which OH had found on the internet, is utterly stunning. Normally they only take two night bookings so we phoned on the off chance on Saturday morning and we managed to secure a plot. A very well kept park with a ma-hoo-sive children’s play area, a swimming pool, a take away, a restaurant and an onsite shop.

Cosgrove Park is dotted with lakes, some are out of bounds as they’re in the residential areas but we were assigned plot 108 which was one row back from the Waterside lake. A stunning view over the lake watching speed boats pull water skiers back and forth.

Flock of geese Cosgrove park campsite

There was plenty of wildlife too, a flock of geese flew over a few times which I managed to capture on photo.

The shower blocks were clean and modern with facilities for fresh water and to dispose of your waste water (all new to us!)

We thoroughly enjoyed Cosgrove Park and would definitely go back there one day. This isn’t a sponsored post just us trying out our new toy and if you’re not into caravanning but like the idea of Cosgrove Park check out their Willow Banks Lodges….

Cosgrove Park tip – the site has no license for alcohol, make sure you pack some in your cool box ;)

caravan kitchen

1. Julie
    August 20, 2012 / 3:27 PM

tell us more about the practicalities – did you all go to bed at the same time? did you trust the girls not to wander off or keep them confined to the van unless you were also outside? (mine are only 21 months so my perspective is a little off!)

• August 20, 2012 / 3:38 PM

The girls went to bed earlier than us and did a lot of giggling whilst we played cards, read books and listened to music first outside and later in.
      The girls had their scooters and were allowed to scoot between the two road bumps either side of our van and they didn’t go further. They met up with lots of other children too the following day and played lots with them. The road wasn’t busy and they learnt quickly to move to one side if a car came along which they did very slowly – 10mph limit and LOTS of road bumps.
      We pulled down all the blinds to avoid a 4.30am wake up and it worked, they slept till 7.30am which isn’t bad for us.
      We only used sleeping bags this time but it was VERY hot and hardly needed them in future I may take cotton sheets and blankets.
      If I had 21 year old month twins I’d be wary of the lake being just over the road and probably would keep them closer to us with less freedom
      Hope this helps

• Julie
        August 20, 2012 / 3:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I thought. Am still battling with the constraints of having twins and young ones at that! Feels like everyone around me is always saying “oh no just let them do this or that or go out with them like this or that” when in reality its a chore to take the double buggy some places and there are some things you just cannot do on your own with 2. Just all helps to make you feel inadequate!

Still though – sounds great and hopefully my time with trustworthy twins will come (DS is not very good on being told what to do yet! Actively ignores me).

Loved caravaning when I was younger :-) Have to work on the DH tho I reckon….

• August 20, 2012 / 4:32 PM

When the girls were 2 we went to Lake Garda http://marisworld.co.uk/index.php/2010/07/09/lake-garda-peschiera-italy/ we took a paddling pool with us all play time was supervised and like you say it’s exhausting and a godsend to get them into bed at night. It took us a while to get them to listen and ‘obey’ as for caravanning, we tried camping last year and they loved it also don’t forget they sell those enormous windbreaks that you can knock into the ground and make a large play area for them where they can’t escape ;)

• Julie
            August 20, 2012 / 4:44 PM

Thanks – good tip re windbreakers. DD is mostly quite good so I should feel lucky I only have 1 terror out of 2! Plus I don’t want to wish the time away so I’ll try and enjoy the good bits now :-)

2. HonestMum
    August 20, 2012 / 5:00 PM

Looks stunning and those caravans are HUGE!

3. BavarianSojourn
    August 25, 2012 / 8:54 AM

What a fab caravan! Lots of adventures in store no doubt! I have to say that having visited my father on a campsite in Lake Como when we were there recently (he doesnt live there, just visiting btw! :D) I think a Caravan is the way to go, they had to be up and out of their tent by 6am as it was just too blinking hot! :)

• August 26, 2012 / 6:57 PM

It can get very hot in a caravan too but with the windows open and a gentle breeze it can be comfortable. I have camped in a tent and there is no comparison to the extra comforts a caravan offers, we are loving this new ‘toy’

4. August 27, 2012 / 11:59 PM

My Mr longs for a caravan too. He did have one before I met him but he sold it. Lovely pictures, I’m in Daventry so not far from MK at all.

Found you via MBWP x