Butlins Skegness our long weekend break

Butlins t shirtsBe warned this is going to be a very positive review because we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and cannot find fault in any part of our Butlins holiday.

There’s nothing worse than having a short break booked up for months and when it arrives the weather forecast says rain, lots of rain and even more rain but that is not a worry if you’ve got yourself a Butlins holiday.

Our journey up to Skegness took us in and out of rain clouds crossing the UK and we count ourselves lucky that it stopped whilst we unpacked the car. It was quite weird to draw up to the drive in check-in that Butlins have in place, it seems like you’re going on a ferry or the Eurotunnel but there are plenty of staff directing you and at the cabin you’re handed your Butlins welcome pack which has the keys, an entertainment guide and your dining passes if you’ve pre booked them.

Throughout the four days we bumped into lots of members of the Butlins staff and I can say they all had a smile on their faces and were eager to help and chat which is so refreshing these days.

Gold apartment Butlins skegness

We were assigned a Gold apartment which is the top of the range and as you can see from the video it is a home from home environment. Clean, warm and with every mod con available including a dishwasher, hairdryer and two TVs, one in the lounge area and one in the main bedroom. There were some lovely welcome touches including bathroom products, tea/coffee/sugar and UHT milk plus cleaning products including 2 tablets for the dishwasher.

gold apartment butlins inside

Settled in off we went to explore and luckily the rain held off as Skegness Butlins is a huge area to cover, practically a village. We made for the Skyline Pavilion where all the entertainment was to take place and we stopped at the Jellyfish bar for our first drink of the weekend. The Skyline Pavilion is humongous a large central area with a stage and dotted around the edge, supermarket, restaurants, shops, a theatre, amusement arcades, bars, a cinema and a Sky Sports room showing football matches and ten pin bowling.

Billy Butlins on stage

The entertainment guide is colour coded according to the children’s age and there is something for everyone happening all the time or if you don’t fancy that take a swim in the Splash World swimming pool or try the free rides at the fun fair as many times as you want.

Billy Butlins

I’m telling you it’s impossible to do the lot and just trying to photograph it all for you was exhausting.

Coast restaurant Skegness Butlins

Then came Pauls’ favourite bit, the Premium Dining Package which included breakfast and evening meals. We ate at Coast restaurant which is particularly geared up for small children so at times was quite noisy but there was a see through cube in the centre of the restaurant with soft cushions and games for  the children to play with whilst mum and dad finish their meal in peace. This is an excellent idea but at times it proved difficult to get the girls to finish their meals as they wanted to go off and play.

Full english Breakfast

The food is buffet and Eat As Much As You Can which my other half put to the test, it was his mission let’s say for this break and he managed a three course breakfast (fruit salad starter followed by two English  very FULL breakfasts) and he also had three course evening meals. The girls were delighted with the ice cream machine and I have to say the Annabel Karmel children’s menu was very good indeed, if only they sat still long enough to finish it.

Paul wants me to underline that he would thoroughly recommend the Premium Dining Package

butlins photo opp

One last word about Butlins is the cleanliness, whilst we were eating the staff are constantly cleaning finished plates from the tables, laying the tables for the next customers, sweeping the floor and making sure everyone is happy. They truly do care that you have a good time. Another nice touch was the fact I was able to buy a bottle of wine the first night and leave it behind the bar to drink on consecutive nights rather than have to take it away with me.

skyline gang - dude

So, a long post on Skegness but there’s so much more to say about it, I could go on forever. I can’t thank Butlins enough for giving me this fabulous opportunity and hand on heart I would recommend this break to everyone.

butlins adventure park

Total cost of a 3 night weekend break in a Gold apartment with the Premium Dining package for 4 people was £666.000 Keep in mind this was the top of the range and there are plenty of other packages to suit all budgets check out the Butlins website for more information and just look how the sun shone for us on our last day, simply beautiful. For more photos see Mari’s World Facebook page and soon to follow a fabulous video of our holiday

butlins skegness beach

1. May 3, 2012 / 7:38 AM

Wow it sounds fabulous. I’ve only been to Butlins once and that was yeeeeeaaaars ago to Phwelli – looks like its changed SO much. Oh and that breakfast is making me so hungry. Glad you had an amazing time xx

• May 3, 2012 / 6:11 PM

It was better than amazing I can’t put in words just how much we enjoyed ourselves and keep in mind it was chucking down rain from morn till night. Keep it in mind because it’s a perfect break with little ones

2. May 3, 2012 / 9:41 AM

So glad you had a lovely time, your girls certainly look like they were having fun! We thought the Premium Dinning package was really good too x

• May 3, 2012 / 6:12 PM

Can’t wait for the next trip now, did you say yes to BR? Really hope to meet you there

3. Bft1956
    May 3, 2012 / 3:08 PM

I’d recommend skeggy gold accomodation and premium dining. Took our 3yrd old grandson in september last year while we were there we booked for this year. Brilliant

• May 3, 2012 / 6:13 PM

Did you manage to drag him away from the rides? Such a good idea having them indoors isn’t it? Paul can’t wait to go back for the food, we’ll definitely be doing that package again

• Bft1956
        May 7, 2012 / 12:14 PM

He draged us every where , I had read one or two reviews before we went but we must have gone to the other Butlins in Skegness!!!!! Couldn’t fault it.

4. MsXpat
    May 3, 2012 / 5:15 PM

Wow, the weather looks fab! And the accommodation looks amazing. Certainly great value for money! Thanks for this post. I’ve always wondered what its like :0)

• May 3, 2012 / 6:14 PM

Hold on, weather was only great on the day we were leaving! The previous 3 days it tipped it down with rain but the beauty of Butlins is there’s so much to do, we even saw a panto Jack and the Beanstalk and it was brilliant.

5. May 3, 2012 / 5:50 PM

Wow, looks like they’ve really got their act together. I have such awful memories of a stay in one of these ‘camps’ years ago. Like torture. Great to know you can now take the family without coming home with fleas..!!

• May 3, 2012 / 6:16 PM

Sadly that old tag is still hanging on in some minds and that is why they are so determined to shift it. They have moved on BIG time and we will definitely be going back because we had so much fun AND it’s so clean. One thing I always notice on other similar holidays are dirty sticky tables in the bar, not here everything is gleaming

6. Hgreenway5
    May 3, 2012 / 6:52 PM

Was this last weekend ? The weather was shocking wasn’t it …. I can fully agree with everything you have said in this review, it was fabulous. For those who want to try and not pay full price, do the sun tokens and there will be an option in the book for simply skegness, minehead or bognor regis (nothing else just the town) these are butlin resorts. The entertainment far exceeds any haven I have stopped in and a funfair that is unlimited is great value with two kids.

• May 3, 2012 / 7:04 PM

Thanks for your fab comment, I’m so glad you agree and what an excellent tip about the Sun Breaks, we’ve done loads of those and I didn’t know Butlins were part of the scheme. I could have written so much more – a book! but then it would get boring :)
      Thanks for stopping by ;)

7. Trute x
    May 3, 2012 / 7:54 PM

Yeah, my teenage daughter and I, love going to Butlins, and have done for the past 10 years on and off.  We always go to the Skegness resort, for us its the best and only 2 hours up the road!! We are going Aug Bank holiday for 5 days, but as there is so much to do, it always feels like we have had a weeks holiday as its non stop.

• May 3, 2012 / 8:11 PM

That’s the beauty isn’t it, there’s something for everyone and as the kids grow there’s something new for them to discover. I bet you have a great time with her and I have my fingers crossed you get good weather because that beach looks gorgeous. Thanks for coming by

8. May 6, 2012 / 8:50 AM

Sounds like they have thought of everything, and the bit about Paul and the dining package made me laugh (and quite jealous of those English breakfasts! :)

9. JuggleMum, Nadine Hill
    May 9, 2012 / 7:15 PM

Am so glad you had a great time- I agree, the Premium dining package is definitely worth it!!

• May 10, 2012 / 6:53 PM

A BRILLIANT time and can’t wait for the second one now! Will I be seeing you at the conferences this year? x

10. May 11, 2012 / 10:28 PM

So glad you all had a great time.  We love Butlins too.  Mich x

11. August 3, 2012 / 9:21 PM

Sounds like you had a wonderful time :) I’m now even more excited to be an ambassador this time around :) Off to search hotel options now

• August 3, 2012 / 9:25 PM

You are going to love this experience, it chucked it down with rain ALL weekend but we had a fabulous time – there’s so much to do – enjoy. Hope to meet you in October  :)

12. August 10, 2012 / 8:00 AM

Great review, thanks for posting. I’ve been chosen as a Butlins Ambassador for this year and am finding it very difficult to decide where to go!

• August 10, 2012 / 8:30 PM

Congratulations on being chosen you are going to love this job. I think you’ll love it wherever you go I can definitely say yes to both Skegness and Bognor Regis, Minehead I shall try myself in 2013

13. February 14, 2014 / 6:15 PM

Fantastic I am sooooooo excited about going – was just checking what would be in our room :-)