3 minute Chocolate cake in a mug

I kid you not and you know when I talk chocolate I’m at my most serious.

In my October issue of Good Housekeeping I read with a magnified curiosity of a microwave 3 minute chocolate cake in a mug – it was like Too. Good. To. Be. True. and I knew I had to try it for you and it became a happy mission for me.

I checked the ingredients

• 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp golden syrup
  • 6 tbsp self-raising flour
  • 2 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
  • 1 medium egg
  • 1 1/2 tbsp mild oil
  • 1 1/2 tbsp milk
  • 40g white chocolate, finely chopped
I ran my eyes over the method
  1. Divide 1 tbsp cocoa equally between 2 standard mugs. Add 1 tbsp golden syrup to each; mix to a paste. Measure flour, caster sugar and remaining 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa into a medium bowl. Crack an egg and add oil and milk. Mix well, then stir in white chocolate.
  2. Divide mixture equally and tidily between the mugs, then microwave on full power (800W) for 1 min 10 sec. serve in mugs or turn on a plate adding ice cream or cream if you like.
PER SERVING (not sure you want to read this bit)
without cream/ice cream 640 cals, 21g fat (7g saturates), 106g carbs (59g total sugars)
Photo courtesy of Good Housekeeping magazine as is the recipe but the vlog here is all mine – watch how it’s done

1. SAHMlovingit
    October 6, 2011 / 5:00 PM

640 calories but sooooooo worth it :) I’m eating for two remember, I have an excuse – yaye! x

• October 7, 2011 / 7:25 AM

Treat yourselves and make one it is so easy Buon appetito!

2. kathryn
    October 7, 2011 / 4:54 AM

Spooky -I had never heard of this until 2 days ago when a friend of mine told me about it – the universe is so clearly telling me I need to go and try it – right?

• October 7, 2011 / 7:24 AM

Yes, yes yes. Of course and you won’t be disappointed, neither will your boys xx

3. Gaye C
    December 10, 2011 / 9:09 PM

Oh my goodness you made my week! I saw the recipe in a mag in a caffe then couldn’t find it online anywhere until I found your video! Thank you SO much :) x

• December 10, 2011 / 9:24 PM

YAY!!!! Another fellow chocolate fan, so pleased to have been of assistance

4. MummyMatters
    January 10, 2012 / 8:35 PM

OH ME OH MY!!! I’m going to HAVE to try this one, for research purposes you understand.  I actually didn’t need a chocolate fix, I’m currently half way through a box of Green & Blacks but seriously, you have never have tooooo much chocolate ;) xx

• January 10, 2012 / 9:05 PM

The good/bad news is it works! and most of the ingredients are ones you have in your cupboard. It is delicious but doesn’t keep well and will need consuming quick – the things you gotta do eh? :)