Potty training twins – mission…possible!

As we’ve been having half hearted stabs at potty training since Christmas and so far failing miserably it was my whole hearted intention to grab this holiday as the perfect opportunity to getting the job done.

I packed our Potette Plus potty in the suitcase along with a pack of their disposable bags and about 10 pairs of Peppa Pig/Holly and Ben knickers along with a ton of patience and once unpacked and settled in I introduced my new ‘toys’ with a superb ‘Ta-dah’ moment dangling little packets of Haribos in front of the two little noses and promises of many many more if we could wee and pooh on the potty.

Like a grand speaker in front of the nation I spoke clearly and decisively about how to use the potty, what words we could use ‘Mummy/Daddy, I’ve got a wee wee/pooh pooh coming.’ and the importance of moving on to be Big Girls now. I had lots of ‘Yes mummy’s’ and earnest eyes whilst the Haribo packets were consumed at the speed of light and their attention quickly swerved to the paddling pool on the terrace outside.

We then had 10 days of hell.

A mop bucket constantly on the go, Peppa knickers being thrown in the bin after only one use and a lot of washing of towles, sheets and other induments used to cover and protect the sofa of our holiday home.

Once the little ladies were tucked up in bed, Daddy and I would go through our tactics, propose new ideas and make changes to our masterplan, patting ourselves on the back if we’d managed to catch even just one wee that day and telling each other it’s only a question of time, maybe we’re nearly there? And in weaker moments… they’re just not getting it. Maybe we’re trying to early? Maybe we should leave it? Should we try the big toilet? Little toilet, pink toilet? Orange one (three bathrooms to choose from with different coloured tiles!)

We tried everything and continued on our potty training mission safe in the knowledge that we were too far in to turn back now.

After a long debate on the 10th night it was decided to implement a copy cat technique so as of the 11th day Daddy and I would start proclaiming loudly ‘Oh, I’ve got a wee wee, quick everyone come and see!’ and the four of us would rush to watch the spectacle and follow up with lots of ohhs, ahhs, clapping hands, cheering and Haribos.

It was on one such occasion that Bessie piped up, ‘Daddy, you got a tail! You put it in your pocket?’ Thank heavens for low season holidays and no neighbours to overhear our goings on, never before has the produce from my body been under such intent inspection but that very same day we had a double whammy catching both ends from each twin on the potty.

Oh the joy, the celebrations! ‘We’ve done it! we’ve cracked it!’ I danced around in glee. I even told my mother on the phone later that day.

Fool, fool, fool! Of course it was a gigantic step in the right direction  but hardly a fait accompli.

We continued throughout our holiday catching wees and poohs (which are the most difficult as the child will surreptitiously sidle off and return with a smelly lump in their pants and carry on playing totally unaware of any discomfort or smell.

I’ll have you know we even travelled back on the plane in knickers and once the girls had discovered the ‘aeroplane toilet’ I can’t tell you how many trips we had to make back and forth, the air hostesses must have hated us as we traipsed up and down disturbing them as they worked.

So in a nutshell I’d say now we have cracked it, we went to two parties this weekend nappiless and we now only use nappies at night. We are far from 100%, I’d say probably between 60-75% accomplished and as my mother said ‘Well there’s something to remember Sardegna for!’ Actually mum I can think of a few more special memories to remember this holiday by but yes, Sardegna will also be remembered as Mission Possible!

1. Suzie
    June 21, 2011 / 2:40 PM

well done Mari and girls it’s no fun with one but to teach x2 a great sucess

2. Alessandra
    June 21, 2011 / 2:58 PM

Jee, sounds like a war invasion mission might be easier!!! Catching Osama Bin Laden? A doddle compared to catching the twins’ n1s and n2s.. :) Very entertaining reading.
    Well done Bessie and Alice. And Mum and Dad (with tail….) xx

3. amy wilders
    June 21, 2011 / 4:16 PM

Glad to hear you’re getting there. I expect you’ll spend most of the time at twins club in the toilet. Luckily the novelty of using the toilet wears off after a while!! xx

4. PhotoPuddle
    June 21, 2011 / 8:07 PM

Yay, well done in cracking it!! And how cute is that photo? Love their dresses and I LOVE them holding hands. They look like the best of friends.

• June 22, 2011 / 1:07 PM

It is sweet isn’t it? something very vulnerblae about taking a photo from behind I think.

5. June 21, 2011 / 9:52 PM

Well done! Potty training is such a slog with only one in tow – you must be a superwoman :)

• June 22, 2011 / 1:09 PM

Why thank you – how could I argue with your supermum comment? :D
      It’s the worst job a partner has to undertake in my bag and trouble is it HAS to be done, no getting away from it.
      Fingers crossed for clean days coming this way soon

6. Shelley
    June 22, 2011 / 7:32 PM

This brought back many memories of mopping up after my twin boys! IMO, definitely the worst ‘phase’ we’ve been through. Well done to you & hubby for persevering with them both – I bottled it & did one at a time!

• June 23, 2011 / 8:13 AM

I think my majjor concern was getting it over and done with and although we’re at a good point we’re far from finished yet. Thank God it’s summer and we can run round naked! Well they can :D

7. July 3, 2011 / 10:55 AM

I am so impressed, more than impressed in awe! Mine turn two in september but I am thinking of holding out for a bit longer, although I have just finally got noah potty trained and that was horrific, so I am a little scared now, but the twins are showing interest in the potty and can say wee and poo, which is more than Noah could at this age. Will be coming back to read this again in the not so distant future. x

• July 3, 2011 / 5:37 PM

I think having an older child is the perfect solution as kids love to imitate, I’m sure you’ll have a much easier time than me as I had no older child and if one decided they didn’t want to have a go, the other would follow suit making all my attempts fail before they even got off the gorund.
      Arm yourself with patience (and mop+bucket) and grin and bear it for about 10 days total then they seem to get it – best of luck xx

8. July 5, 2011 / 6:53 PM

uh-oh i have this yet to come. my older son was a dream when it came to using the potty, i asked him if he would like to be a big boy and do wee-wees on the toilet, he said yes and that was that, he was toilet trained, my older daughter took a while longer.. she did not want to be a big girl, at all! so when the time comes i prey the girls take after their big bro!
    adorable pic by the way xo

• July 6, 2011 / 12:56 PM

Every child is different and this has been verified over and over talking to all the twin mums at twin club. Bite the bullet and go for it and expect 10 days of getting nowhere before you see the light, I’m sure having older siblings around will help enormously as little ones are such copy cats