Asparagus risotto recipe – the easy way

Risotto has to be a kitchen staple in any Italian Housewife’s recipe book and once you have learnt to follow the basic recipe then you are set up for creating some of the most delicous risotto’s on earth. People seem to be put off from having a go as it seems there is a mysterious secret into getting it right. Well one tip is experience, the more you make the better they become as you get the hang of tending to the rice and gently coercing it to cook to perfection and of course the second tip is adding the stock gradually and not boiling the rice.

In this short video I show you the very basic but delicious Asparagus Risotto simply because they are in season and I just had to eat some. To change recipe just substitute the asparagus with a vegetable of your choice, ie courgettes, radicchio, rocket. Other ideas to make delicious risottos are, saffron like Risotto Milanese – makes a beautiful orange colour, seafood, sausage and red wine. Cheese such as gorgonzola and some of the stranger additions strawberries, champagne, and nettles.

The list is endless and if you’d like to add your favourite risotto in the comment section to be shared forever that would be wonderful! Have a look at my video and tell me how you got on!

Ingredients for asparagus risotto

2 handfuls of rice per person

A good stock (vegetable stock if you’re vegetarian)

onion, white wine, asparagus and Parmesan cheese

You can add creme fraiche, cream, cheese and many other rich tastes to enhance your risotto I have purposely left this one delicate and plain, Buon appetito!

1. SAHMlovingit
    May 21, 2011 / 7:50 AM

You know what, I *love* risotto but have never made it before…I may have to give it a go. My fave risotto is the mushroom, garlic and parsley one they serve here: http://www.piccolinorestaurants.co.uk/chester.html

Thanks for this Mari xx

p.s. I don’t suppose you know how to make an iced caramel and hazelnut semi freddo do you? ;)

• May 22, 2011 / 10:33 AM

You must try it – it’s so easy and just substitute the asparagus in the recipe for mushrooms, garlic and parsley at the end! Peasy. Buon appetito – as you love risotto you must try a truffle one whilst in Pisa! deeelciious.

Iced caramel and hazelnut semi freddo on it’s way sometime over the summer xx

2. Amiko
    May 21, 2011 / 9:46 AM

I never eat risotto before… maybe I should try it…^^

• May 22, 2011 / 10:34 AM

You must, it’s delcious

3. Karin @ Cafe Bebe
    May 21, 2011 / 11:04 AM

Once again, loving your vlogging lady! And planning to do a pea and mushroom risotto this weekend! It’s GLUTEN-FREE you know! ;)

Mwah xx

Karin

• May 22, 2011 / 10:37 AM

I didn’t know it was gluten free! How fabulous for you and pea and mushroom sounds delicious

4. Frankie Parker
    May 21, 2011 / 12:31 PM

Really is it that easy, i have always been put off as they seem too difficult!

• May 22, 2011 / 10:38 AM

Trust me, it’s that easy. Please have a go and let me know how you get on, you’ll be so surprised! Just substitute asparagus for your fave food.

• May 22, 2011 / 10:38 AM

I love it too, it’s a shame my OH hates rice otherwise i’d do it more often