Devon family holiday

F is allowing me the perfect opportunity to show you a stunning part of the UK which I visited recently for the first time. Devon, a county in the south-west that bulges at the seams with beauty, quaintness and quintessential Englishness.

We were staying in Torquay on the English Riviera and although it was late summer, September, we did benefit from some gorgeous sunny days along with the odd rainfall and grey skies that us Brits are so used to. When visiting a new area I love to do a bit of research before I leave on internet, asking friends who have already been there and picking up thousands of leaflets from reception on arrival to read whilst dinner is cooking the first night.

The first holiday snap I share with you is one of a fishing boat in Torquay harbour, I really like this photo even though Paul was standing in the background asking ‘Why are you taking a photo of that?’

An overall recommendation was Dartmouth, a beautiful, picturesque village at the mouth of the River Dart and apart from the boutique shops, fabulous eateries like Cafe Alf Fresco for example I was fascinated and taken back in time when I saw the car ferry being pushed and shoved by a tug boat back and forth over the River continuously. I just had to share this bizarre ferry with you.

The ferry is being pushed by the tug boat

arrives on the other side

One coming, one going

…and yes I did convince Paul to take us back via that tug pushed ferry just to try it out! Amazing the skill Captain Tug had, he made it look effortless.

Finally’ fuel’ to finish off with the F’s this week. Tea is my fuel, a good ol’ English cuppa with milk and no sugar and as we cannot survive without fuel especially after a day of sightseeing, walking around the town center and visiting the amazing art galleries, we jumped in the car and headed back home. As always is the case the girls were really grumbling and we still had a good half an hour to go, so we stopped off at Paignton beach and headed for the Cafe on the seafront for quick refreshments, isn’t it absolutely gorgeous? A typical British seaside cafe, advertising all their wares on blackboards and brightly coloured letters on the woodwork. I love it and couldn’t refuse it. I probably paid double for my tea and the crab sandwich was extortionate but hey, nice photo for a lovely memory.

These are my ‘F’s for Alphabe Thursday over at Jenny Matlock’s blog go and have a look what everyone else comes up with for the ‘F’ Fiesta today

1. Judith
    October 28, 2010 / 8:22 AM

WOW I don’t believe it!! your photos brought back so many memories for me. From 1995-1998 we lived in Paignton and my sister-in-law is from Paignton. I can’t count the number of times we have visited Dartmouth over the years..so thank you for your post. Judith

October 28, 2010 / 1:55 PM

How lovely to have jogged your memory..maybe it’s time to visit again in the New year? :)

2. Carol
    October 28, 2010 / 10:07 AM

F is for fine FRIENDS

October 28, 2010 / 1:56 PM

Absolutely right there. :)

3. Sue
    October 28, 2010 / 11:14 AM

I so enjoyed your Letter F post as it shows a place I’ve never been and would love to visit. Loved the first photo with the view through the nets, ropes and fishing gear. I’m not a tea drinker…except for an occasional TexasT…but I’d sure give the Devon Sandwich a try with a cuppa English Tea.

October 28, 2010 / 1:57 PM

You must try the Devon crab sandwich it was delicious. I think the scenery, the culture and the people of Devon would be so completely different to Texas it would be a fabulous eyeopener and you too wouold fall in love with it – I’m sure of it

4. victoria
    October 28, 2010 / 11:46 AM

Wow…these are gorgeous pictures…
    I want to go there {{{ENVY}}}

October 28, 2010 / 1:59 PM

You must, it’s impossible to not fall in love with the place!

October 28, 2010 / 1:58 PM

Thanks Maggy, your Fence was gorgeous too

5. JDaniel4's Mom
    October 28, 2010 / 12:26 PM

This looks like a great place to visit. I loved traveling through your photos.

October 28, 2010 / 2:00 PM

Thank you. we see so many places around the blogosphere it’s like a mini trip isn’t it? After all no way can we get to see them all

6. Francisca
    October 28, 2010 / 2:22 PM

It was Fabulous to see the Fishing nets, Ferries and Fuel through your lens! Your First Foto is my Favorite!

7. Pondside
    October 28, 2010 / 2:26 PM

What a beautiful place. I understand why you’d want a photo of the boat and nets – love it! I could go for a crab sandwich and a cup of tea right about now……

October 28, 2010 / 7:20 PM

I hope you enjoyed that cuppa! Nice to meet you

8. Carmen Henesy
    October 28, 2010 / 3:50 PM

I haven’t been able to visit my friends in Rye for several years now so I thoroughly enjoyed this very lovely trip to England via your blog. It was very scenic and lovely. Thanks for adding so much to my morning!

October 28, 2010 / 7:21 PM

Rye! Now we went there a couple of years ago, another beautiful captivating place. I’m glad you enjoyed the post, nice to meet you :)

9. Rocky Mountain Woman
    October 28, 2010 / 4:51 PM

Beautiful, reminds me of the Oregon Coast, my very favorite place in the world (after the Rockies).

October 28, 2010 / 7:23 PM

Oregon Coast, another place to add to my ever growing list of places to see! Nice to see you again :)

10. October 28, 2010 / 5:37 PM

These pictures are just charming. Makes me want to visit!

=)

October 28, 2010 / 7:24 PM

Thank you, it is a beautiful place and I’d thoroughly recommend a visit if it ever came a possibility, thanks for coming by :)

11. Judie
    October 28, 2010 / 8:40 PM

Mari!!! These are wonderful photos!!! I want to see MORE!!

October 29, 2010 / 7:35 AM

…I took over a hundred but it seemed a bit rude to put them all on :) maybe a few at a time

12. jen
    October 29, 2010 / 3:44 AM

I’m so happy you commented on my blog today. Here from Jenny Matlock, and I love seeing England. I’ll be back, because I’d love to find out more about your twins and life in UK.
    I’d love to follow you, but can’t find a link!

October 29, 2010 / 7:32 AM

…that’s my poor tecno skills for you, there is a email subscription option and I will get round to adding a RSS option asap.Tthanks for coming by I look forward to chatting more often :)

13. Anne-Marie
    October 29, 2010 / 4:45 AM

Thanks for the visit. What a beautiful place! I’ve only visited London while in the UK and plan on seeing more of the countryside. I love the picture with the hill and different houses built in it. I guess everyone wants a view of the harbor and all its boats. I cant blame them. Thanks for sharing.

Anne-Marie

October 29, 2010 / 7:34 AM

..and of course they are the most expensive houses! England has tons to offer, countryside, beaches, cities such as Oxford and Canterbury. Each place has it’s own unique delight to discover, I’d thoroughly recommend it :)

14. Su-sieee! Mac
    October 29, 2010 / 8:18 AM

I’m glad you took that photo of the cartoon boat (that’s what the husband of mine called it) and all the tumble of nets and ropes. It’s a neat photo. It shows off how color coordinated everything is. I wonder if that was intended.

The tug boat pushing a ferry is a hoot! I would’ve wanted to ride it, too. Toot! Toot!

15. Jingle
    October 30, 2010 / 5:41 PM

love the images,
    it reminds me of my childhood place, my grandfather was fishing man.

16. November 1, 2010 / 11:46 PM

What an absolutely charming stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday’s letter “F”!

I was enchanted with all your pictures…and I want to come…and have tea at that charming little place and watch the waves and see the beautiful bright boats.

What a lovely little trip you took us on!

Thank you for linking.

I really enjoyed this!

A+

November 2, 2010 / 5:57 PM

Thanks Jenny, always a pleasure to see you pop in :)